Navy Blue Metalic
    2002 Trans Am

New brake lines - looking for advice

Looking around on-line, there are not many braded brake line options available. There seem to be two categories - separate front and rear sets, and complete front and rear sets, and not many manufacturers. As a general rule-of-thumb, you get what you pay for. However, what can possibly justify the cost difference between the "higher-end" separate front and rear sets versus the complete sets? Do the separate sets have gold-plated connections?

I guess what I'm asking is, are there any real differences between braded brake line sets? Are there any recommendations as to which one's to buy? My TA is my daily driver. I'm not out racing it, and I just want to reduce that mushy feel that the brakes always had.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by B200
    Looking around on-line, there are not many braded brake line options available. There seem to be two categories - separate front and rear sets, and complete front and rear sets, and not many manufacturers. As a general rule-of-thumb, you get what you pay for. However, what can possibly justify the cost difference between the "higher-end" separate front and rear sets versus the complete sets? Do the separate sets have gold-plated connections?

I guess what I'm asking is, are there any real differences between braded brake line sets? Are there any recommendations as to which one's to buy? My TA is my daily driver. I'm not out racing it, and I just want to reduce that mushy feel that the brakes always had.
    First, make sure that your brakes are properly bled. I got braided brake lines from Tire Rack made by Goodridge, but they come complete as a kit for the entire car, front and rear. They do list a kit for non-ABS cars but I'm not sure what the difference is between that and an ABS equipped car. Second, have the brake system completely flushed and replace the fluid with a totally synthetic fluid, which has a higher boiling point and less moisture attraction than standard brake fluid. Valvoline makes a totally synthetic fluid at a reasonable price. I suspect that the difference between different brands of SST braided brake hoses will probably be minimal: they all have to meet DOT specs to be used on the street - no manufacturer would want to risk the liability of selling non-spec parts and having them fail with disasterous consequences.

Thread Information