Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6 A4

In need of a new torque arm

I drive a 99 WS6 and have recently had Hooker LT headers, QTP catted y-pipe, and GMMG chambered exhaust put on the car. Then I took my car to get proffesionally tuned. When I go to pick it up the guy says I need a new torque arm. I could tell the torque arm was bad because when Im driving it sounds like it is flexing and hitting the floor. My question to you guys is what kind of torque arm should I get and should I get a relocation kit so that its not hooked up to the tail? Also when I went to pick up the car the guy said when it was doing 140mph on the dyno the stock 3.23 gears rapped around and broke so any suggestion on what gears to get? (the guy told me to go with 3.73 Motive) My car made 303rwhp and 312rwtq which is a big improvement to the 275rwhp it use to make bone stock.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

i would go with 3.73s probly Motive. herd more things about them then any other and richmands are normally louder. i would get an adjustable torque arm with the relocation kit that changes the trans cross member. i remember someone saying that the tunelbrace mounted torque arms are not as strong or noisier or something like that.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Yea get it off the tail. I have looked and there are kits made for LT headers.

Adjustable Torque Arm

Check out the Spohn adjustable torque arms we sell. I'd recommend the one that mounts off the transmission for the best performance.

They are available with front and rear driveshaft loops and you can pick either a urethane front mount or a spherical rod end mount. They also come with an inclinometer to set the pinion angle. They are a fantastic product.
    Fast Toys Performance Parts
    Low pricing & honest customer service since 1998!

Email:sales@fasttoys.net
    Web: www.fasttoys.net

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I'll second the Spohn torque arm. I don't like tunnel mounted ones or the relocation crossmembers. They are noisy. I launch my car at 6,500rpms on slicks and haven't broken it yet.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Toys View Post
    Check out the Spohn adjustable torque arms we sell. I'd recommend the one that mounts off the transmission for the best performance.

They are available with front and rear driveshaft loops and you can pick either a urethane front mount or a spherical rod end mount. They also come with an inclinometer to set the pinion angle. They are a fantastic product.
    Can you post a link to the specific torque arm your referring to?

red
    02 trans am ws6

Are you sure its not the y pipe hitting the floor? mine did it with the qtp catted y. had true duals installed no problem since

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by badazta View Post
    Are you sure its not the y pipe hitting the floor? mine did it with the qtp catted y. had true duals installed no problem since
    well Ive been told by 2 mechanics one with whom is friends with my father that the torgue arm is shot and the bushing is torn to shit. So thinking about getting the BMR torque arm with polyurthene bushing and a relocation kit to take it off the tranny. hope its not the y-pipe but it hangs pretty low so dont think thats it, wish i didnt need cats.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I'll second the Spohn torque arm. I don't like tunnel mounted ones or the relocation crossmembers. They are noisy. I launch my car at 6,500rpms on slicks and haven't broken it yet.
    What do you mean that the relocatin kit makes it noisy and what kind of spohn torgue arm do you have?

red
    02 trans am ws6

I have a UMI adjustable torque arm with the relocation bracket. poly bushings, with the bushings being stiff it causes vibration thru out the car.(price you pay for performance) The UMI is a nice piece I got it from ws6store.com which are local for me and a bunch of great guys. Thinking of it now my QTP longtubes hit my stock kmember alittle on the passengers side so I put in a UMI tubular kmember as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    Can you post a link to the specific torque arm your referring to?
    Here you go:

http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...roducts_id=106

Call us if you have any questions

Quote Originally Posted by Numba1TA View Post
    What do you mean that the relocatin kit makes it noisy and what kind of spohn torgue arm do you have?
    You will get a little more noise because the torque arm is rigidly mounted to the floor. I wouldn't call it "noisy" but you will hear some added noises you didn't hear before that are transmitted from the rear end up through the floor.

However, the trade off for the improved performance is well worth it. The stock torque arm mount is a joke... it is very flimsy.

red
    1998 Z28

I would go spohn all the way! i just put there torque arm on saturday very strong. i didnt notice any new noises some actually went away for me. i work part time for spohn so i know first had how well these things r made.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I drive a 99 WS6 and have recently had Hooker LT headers, QTP catted y-pipe, and GMMG chambered exhaust put on the car. Then I took my car to get proffesionally tuned. When I go to pick it up the guy says I need a new torque arm. I could tell the torque arm was bad because when Im driving it sounds like it is flexing and hitting the floor. My question to you guys is what kind of torque arm should I get and should I get a relocation kit so that its not hooked up to the tail? Also when I went to pick up the car the guy said when it was doing 140mph on the dyno the stock 3.23 gears rapped around and broke so any suggestion on what gears to get? (the guy told me to go with 3.73 Motive) My car made 303rwhp and 312rwtq which is a big improvement to the 275rwhp it use to make bone stock.
    The Spohn parts are great. My LCA's and panhard are UMI because of the price. I was going with Spohn till the UMI was on Sale and they also make great parts. I am sticking with UMI because the quality is there and the price is slightly better.
    As far as gears I would go 3.73's that's what I'm headed to next I have the the stock 3.23's. I broke the 1st set amd had them replaced with trhe same because of the highway driving I was doing. Gas was expensive and I didn't wanna loose my too many MPG at the time. No sure about motive but if your using the stck 10 bolt still like me I would just get a new set of GM gears, that's what they put in mine.
    I know what I had my Mustang Everyone at the shop told me too stay away from Richmond and use the ford 3.73 gears. They were quieter. Not sure if it's the same with the 10 bolt but if they are louder in the 8.8 I would think they would be in the 10 bolt.
    Last edited by RyanJM; 03-02-2009 at 04:12 PM. Reason: I have a QTP ORY and it bangs the floor sometimes.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am WS6 A4

well think if decided to go with the spohn tordue arm and motive 3.73 gears, thanx's for all the help guys really appreiciated the responses

1999 A4 WS6 Pewter, Hooker Long Tube Headers ,GMMG Catback Exhaust, QTP Off-road catted y-pipe, K&N FIPK Intake, GM 3.73's, Spohn Torque Arm,BMR LCA's Dyno Tune by PBJ.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Six speeds (in my experience) make thuds and thumps when you let the clutch out to start moving and when shifting gears. More road noise/vibrations in general transmitted to the cabin and if you have any gear whine this is amplified x 10,000. I have had a Spohn tunnel mounted TA in the past, that lasted one week due to these reasons. Bought a Spohn tranny mounted TA (pic below)about one year ago, it's great. Decided to try the UMI relocation crossmember as I heard they're less noisy than a tunnel mounted TA. It was a lil less noisy but still unsatisfactory for me. Also I do not recomend the UMI relocation crossmember, go with the BMR. My UMI one did not fit right and I spent all day modifying it to fit with a grinder/dremel and hence rendered it unsellable. Just junk sitting in my garage now. Whichever TA you get get the longer bolts to go with it, you'll want them.

red
    1998 Z28

just be aware that if ur car is an a4 trans then u might need to lower ur crossmember to make way for the new bushing but all in all about 5 hours and pretty easy to do.

side note the bolts r already adjusted so u dont need to worry about anything there.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

i was also looking at that spohn tunnel mounted torque arm but while some say its great others say it makes noise. i was thinking wat if where the TA bolts to the floor of the car, you sandwich a few pieces of dynamat extreme in between the TA and the floor and then run the bolts through the dynamat? that might cut down on some of the vibrations.

Thread Information