nbm
    00 SS

Need help with shocks to go with G2 springs

I've had a set of G2 Super Springs for about 6 years and may be losing my lift soon so I need to go ahead and get these on. I can't remember which shocks Lou said to go with and I see they are not even listed on his site anymore. I have sent them a email but wanted to see what ya'll thought. I'm going to get an adj. torque arm to get my pinion angle right also. Thinking of a UMI for that.
    thanks

I will also be installing a Mufflex 4" catback this week, will I have any clearance issues after the springs?

White
    2001 Z28

Well they were fond of recommending Bilstein shocks, which I sell. But there are not enough damper for those springs. In fact the springs are almost double the rate in front, and quite literally double in the rear over stock springs, Bilstein's are just weak over the long haul for great control.

Anytime LG springs are in use, mostly due to the rear rate my recommenation for Koni's goes from urging to really, really pushing. I hate to see folks toss money away, and while it's ok to run Bilstein's when they are pretty new it doesn't take too long for them to be swamped by the higher damping requirements.

And your 4" exhaust? It will hang lower than a 3", and your springs are lower than say, my set. I'll bet you'll be dragging your intermediate pipe from time to time.

I also sell UMI parts, including their TA's.

nbm
    00 SS

Thanks for the help Sam. I remember back in the day(I've been here since '98) when you were just getting into racing. You have done well and that is good to see! I heard back from Lou and he said just what you just did, the HDs.

The exhaust didn't come today so I'll have to wait to check clearances. Are these the shocks you would go with?http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

I wouldn't do any welding on the exhaust until after you install the lowering springs, or load the rear of the car down to the bump stops if possible. That way you'll know for sure the axle assembly doesn't hit the over axle pipe before welding it up.

nbm
    00 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Blue28 View Post
    I wouldn't do any welding on the exhaust until after you install the lowering springs, or load the rear of the car down to the bump stops if possible. That way you'll know for sure the axle assembly doesn't hit the over axle pipe before welding it up.
    Good advice, thanks. This will be my 4th catback, so no welding, only clamps. I'm pretty sure we have enough used wheel weights to load her down.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 2000SSM6 View Post
    Thanks for the help Sam. I remember back in the day(I've been here since '98) when you were just getting into racing. You have done well and that is good to see! I heard back from Lou and he said just what you just did, the HDs.

The exhaust didn't come today so I'll have to wait to check clearances. Are these the shocks you would go with?http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=20&ModelID=7

Well, you could also use the 4/3 set which have less easy to adjust rears and are $732 a set--they can control the springs too, just trading some money for ease of use.... but even 4/3's have adjustment and better damping than non-adjustable Bilstein's.

But the ones you mention are the most popular because of their ease and speed of adjustment on the rear shocks vs. the 4/3 set I just referred to.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Thread Information