Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black SVT & Silver WS6
    2003 SVT Cobra & 2002 WS6

Need Help With Shocks

I plan on lowering my TA sometime this summer. This is what I have in mind.

Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
    set of sway bars
    lower control arm relocation brackets
    control arms
    panhard bar
    torque arm

now my question for yall is what shocks should I go with? Does this sounds like a good set up? Do yall have any other suggestions?

Thanks, J.C.
    No replacement for displacement.

Click for full size

Slomaro

White w/ black stripes
    1991 Camaro

I have the Eibachs Pro-Kits, and while they are good, I would like something stiffer. And I have heard that the 4th Gen ones are softer than the 3rd Gen ones. If it were me, I would look for something stiffer. Like Hotchkis.
    As for the shocks/struts, it depends on how much you want to spend. If it were me, I would get Konis. I just ordered a set for my car.I have heard of some people having Bilsteins revavled for the spring rate. The Bilstein HDs aren't really made for lowered cars, I don't think.
    Next down is Tokicos or KYB AGX adjustables.
    Right now, the only thing that my car really do is handle, so I am going all out in that area.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

looks great depending on the swaybars you chose... the car needs to remain balanced.
    With prokits, I would either go w/ Bilstein revalved or Koni SA, depending on your budget. I'd vote for the Bilstein revalved, which are cheaper and will react faster... the advantage of the Koni is the adjustability and will become handy when you change springs so you don't have to revalve the shock or change them.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

I love the KYB AGX's and my Eibach pro kit. I have all the supporting mods for lowering minus a tq arm and my car rides better than stock. Highly recommend the KYB's and Eibach pro kit. Has a good stance and looks great.

Slomaro

White w/ black stripes
    1991 Camaro

All of the stuff mentioned is better than the stock stuff, but I got less expensive shocks/struts once....OUCH.
    It depends on what you want with the car, as well. I know two guys with 4th Gen TAs. One wants the lower look but not as much of the handling performance and the other is trying to optimise the handling (like me). The first guy is probably going with the KYBs and the guy that is goign for handling performance has Konis. Just whatever you want, I guess.
    Click for full size

Black SVT & Silver WS6

Well, I am going for more of the handling performance spectrum. I kinda want to try that whole motor cross thing. I don’t know what its official name is for them. But I’m sure there are a few groups here in Austin if not there has to be some in Houston.

Slomaro

White w/ black stripes
    1991 Camaro

In that case, I would get Konis or revalved Bilsteins. The Konis are more, but they are adjustable. In the 3rd Gen world, Konis are the top of game for off the shelf stuff. I got some Monroes about a year ago to replace the stockers, and they are already about dead with the Eibachs. From now one, I am doing it right the first time. Saves money in the long run.

Black SVT & Silver WS6

So your saying these Konis? Just curious, but how much are we talking here? I’m looking at doing all four, of course. And, do you have any links i might want to check out?

Thanks, J.C.

Slomaro

White w/ black stripes
    1991 Camaro

Exclamation

spohn.net
    That is where I get all my suspension. Might want to try thunder racing or something like that to compare prices. My Konis are $650 for a set. Looks like yours are closer to....$800. Man, that is big difference.

Black SVT & Silver WS6

Whats the deal with the DOUBLE Adjustable and the SINGLE Adjustable?

Black SVT & Silver WS6

Oh yea! And whats up with the Adjustable Lower Control Arms? Are they worth the money and would I need them for my application?

triple-black

Quote Originally Posted by Corona-Extra
    Whats the deal with the DOUBLE Adjustable and the SINGLE Adjustable?
    SINGLE adj have only 1 knob that control both rebound and compression.
    DOUBLE adj have 2 knobs: 1 for compression and 1 for rebound.

triple-black

Oh yea! And whats up with the Adjustable Lower Control Arms? Are they worth the money and would I need them for my application?
    they are adj in length so that you can mmake sure the LCA are as close to horizontal as possible and also allow you to align the rear so that the rear end is pointing forward dead-on, not @ a little angle off.

Black SVT & Silver WS6

panhard bar??

Drive it like ya stole it sills1's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

panhard bar??
    Used to center your rearend on the car. If you lower your car, the rearend will need to be moved back into the center of the car. Get an adjustable panhard bar, that is the only way to do it right.
    John
    Come by and check out my 2000 SS
    Click here
    FQuick Site

Black SVT & Silver WS6

So, in your opinion, does that sound like a good/decent set up? I was planning on going with BMR or spohn for all set of sway bars, lower control, arm relocation brackets, control arms, panhard bar, and torque arm. As for springs, Eibach Pro-Kit is the only way to go from what I’ve been told and Konis for the shocks/struts.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Drive it like ya stole it sills1's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

How much do you want to lower the car? leaving the stock springs and purchasing Koni adjustable shocks will get you 3/4" drop alone.

As far as all the other items, BMR is good stuff and comes in more than one color if that is an issue also.

Slomaro

White w/ black stripes
    1991 Camaro

If you are doing it right, the adjustable is the only way to go. It is necessary to ensure that the geometry is correct. Everything (with the exception of the sway bars) I am doing is adjustable. I had the panhard bar set for the stock springs....then the Eibachs got on. Yea, not very centered. Pushed it an inch to the left. Kinda funny looking.
    Now, for the ends. Comfort, get the poly bushings. Performance, get the rod ends. Since my car is my daily and I HATE excess road noise, I get the combo ends. The poly goes on the end where it meets the frame and the rod end goes on the rear end. Best of both worlds. At least that is what I do.
    Relocation brackets for a lowered car, yes. Reduces wheel hop and other not so pretty things. Make sure the torque arm is adjustable too. Keep from stress existing between the tranny and rear.
    As for the sway bars, it according to your driving style/likes. Some people like really stiff springs/shocks and softer sway bars. I like everything stiff. The Spohn stuff is bigger than the BMR. My rear sway bar is a 25.4mm solid chromoly. I think that the biggest offered by BMR is 21mm mild steel. Not sure, but I think that is what I remember.
    As for the springs, I have heard that Hotchkis are better than Eibach for serious performance. Everyone in the local f-body club that has them swears by them. I can't tell you from experience on that. I do like my Pro-Kit, but I wished the fronts were progressive rates and a little stiffer and that the rear were slightly stiffer. Expensive boo-boo.

Black SVT & Silver WS6

I was thinking about 1 inch. Maybe 1 ¼ inch. Not too much. I want to give it a more aggressive look but at the same time a good to moderate handling ability.

I like to take on ramps to the highway pretty quick, you know things like that….

Oh yea, I was thinking the 32mm Front Bar and 22mm Rear for the sway bars…

Slomaro

White w/ black stripes
    1991 Camaro

I love highway ramps...
    My front sway bar is a 34mm stock. It came with the F41 sport suspension package on the RS. Rear was like 18mm or so. I have a 36mm WS6 front sway bar for mine, just need to install it. If your car is a WS6 car, your sway bars are already bigger than 22mm and 32mm.... I think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information