Biff2252

Question Need Help!!! New to forum

Hey!! I have been lurking and reading this forum for a while since i bought my car, and this is my first post. I have really gotten alot of info off of here so I will just go ahead and say THANKS! even though I wasnt the one asking the questions, BUT NOW I AM!! haha Ok for some reason my car has really started handling funny. Its only under excelleration that I notice it. What is happening is when I get on it, the front of the car lifts and the rear twists to the passenger side. It is a very violent twist, if I am in 4th and drop the hammer, the car will move sideways a MINIMUM of 4-8 inches. It feels as though the rearend is trying to walk out from underneath me to the passengers side. When I let off it twists back as though the pivot point is right in the middle of the car. It just happend to start this when I added a subwoofer box and two 10's in the rear. I know (or it better not) that this isnt causing the problem, but I am wondering if just the additional weight threw the geometry off just enough to really make the difference. This evening I am going to yank the box and see what it does, just to eliminate all that I can. I have looked at the underside and all looks intact so I am really dumbfounded. PLEASE any and all opinions/experiences are welcome.

Biff

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

sounds like your torque arm is busted. The car under any acceleration will do what you said, "twist." That's because of the amount of torque being spun through the drive train. A torque arm is there to counter that twist. and give you an even acceleration. If the car is twisting violently you may be experiencing one of 2 things:

a broken torque arm, or your just so new to massive power that you're not adjusted to the twist yet.

what happens if you're just at a standstill, in neutral and you hit the gas? does the body twist....does it twist violently as you said before or just a little bit? Some twist is expected [ok i'm done with my book, here]

get under the car and look at the torque arm, if you see and rips/tears/malfunctions that's your issue.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

this is a pic of an after market tq arm, but it'll give you a clue what you're looking for: your's is black or dirty steel color, and [as shown] just infront of the differential on the driver's side and runs along the driveshaft toward the front of the car.

Biff2252
    Thanks for the reply and ideas. I was leaning towards some type of mount, but was thinking the torque arm was more for the up and down motion of the pinion and not the twist/climb of the pinion (learn something new every time you ask a question!). I will get it up off the ground once I get back home from work this evening and check the torque arm out. Seems like a good time to replace it, and the panhard bar anyways since those are the only two things I lack on replacing suspension parts (for the typical replacement upgrades). And as far as option 2... this aint my first rodeo , This is my DD and its pretty much stock, doesnt have a whole lot of power, get yourself behind a BBC Truck with ladderbars and slicks, THEN you are getting close to seeing massive power and twist even though its a full frame hehehe. I have had the car for about 6 months now, but it is the first time in a car with a little bit of power so I am always open minded and do appreciate any and all comments/suggestions. Again thank you for your help, I will post the update on what the outcome is. Biff

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

0oo0oo0oo00o0oo a built 4x4 and a muscle car...life doesn't get much better.

Biff2252
    Well just checked it out with the rear jacked way up so I could get my big arse underneath the car. The rubber is split at the bottom, so the mount is basically like a upsidedown taco. Also there is about an inch of fresh "clean" metal where you can tell the torque arm was pushing towards the front of the car and rubbing in the mount. Guess this mount being cracked is the culprit? I am going to go ahead and order a new adjustable torque arm, with all the hardware, and while I have it up on the lift I figure I might as well get the adjustable panhard bar also. Looking closely at everything sure made me realize how dirty everything is, its in need of a detailing BADDLY. Thanks for your help Dipherentdesign, and once I get my 10 posts i think ill post some pics of my car and suspension, although its nothing new. But at any rate, thanks again. Biff

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

wow, i helped someone....

dude, jump on the Train in the Almost Anything Goes sectino and just bs with us-you'll make 10 posts real quick-like

Thread Information