SOM
    2002 SS

My Thoughts and Pics. Koni 4/4 + GC coilovers

works good.
    Last edited by 5abivt; 05-07-2010 at 07:10 PM.

silver
    2000 formula

so what was the total cost?

SOM
    2002 SS

Minus the cost of My old setup. Just under $500. Worth it for me

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

So where's the pictures?

Also, what spring rates did you go with?
    Last edited by Blue28; 05-07-2010 at 08:05 PM.

SOM
    2002 SS

Went with 550/175. Shocks set on 1/4 turn from full stiff. rears are set to 1/2 turn from full stiff. Rear feels great but not too sure on the front yet I need to raise it a bit.

So, wheres the pictures?

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Went with 550/175. Shocks set on 1/4 turn from full stiff. rears are set to 1/2 turn from full stiff. Rear feels great but not too sure on the front yet I need to raise it a bit.
    Wow, you got the koni's set kind of stiff don't you.
    FYI, if your car feels like it drops suddenly driving over dips in the road then you have your shocks set too stiff.

Just thought you should know.

I've got mine set to 5.5 sweep from full soft up front, and in the rear 1/4 full hard.

If you know how much higher you want the front then adjust the spring seat up 1/2 that amount.
    Last edited by Blue28; 05-08-2010 at 06:22 PM.

SOM
    2002 SS

I had a huge post with tons of pics I think it was too much blabbering to get relevant feedback. Ya it might be too stiff but the rears feel great. I raised the front a few threads just now and it about even now front and back. I ll put the front back down a tad tomorrow. One thing for sure with the front raised up from where I had it first set on install it rides as good as the rears now. If anything the ride is a little too soft now still for my tastes. I wish the compression came stiffer on the SAs. I think I might have been happier with the bilsteins I'm not sure. I have custom valved and length bilsteins from DRM with stiff springs and poly bushings on my vette and the ride just blows this away. I know it's not really fair to compare a 93 vette to a 4th gen but I'm wishing I got bilsteins or went stiffer on the springs. I expected 550 to be much stiffer maybe it's the damping making it feel soft but I wouldn't have minded a harder feel or ride. On the bright side I'm not even worried about putting a baby seat in the back it rides that soft!

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Blue28 View Post
    If you know how much higher you want the front then adjust the spring seat up 1/2 that amount.
    You sure about that? Maybe I'm having a brain fart or something but if I raise the seat of the spring 1/2 inch wouldnt the car get raised 1/2 inch ?

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

On mine if I move the spring seat 1/4" the ride height changes 1/2".

SOM
    2002 SS

Hmm you can call me an idiot later but I'm pretty sure if you raise the seat any distance it should move the car up that much. I raised my seat 4 threads or so a few hours ago and the front raised pretty much exactly that (.5 or 3/4 ish ). I haven't measured yet I'm not sure my garage floor is flat but I drove around to a few spots and took pics of each side to get a general idea of which side needs to go up or down. I'm gonna go back down about 2 threads and I think I'm set

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Smile

The reason for the difference is because the shock/spring is closer to the pivot point of the front control arms, and the tire/wheel are further from the pivot point.
    Last edited by Blue28; 05-09-2010 at 08:50 AM.

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Blue28 View Post
    The reason for the difference is because the shock/spring is closer to the pivot point of the front control arms, and the tire/wheel are further from the pivot point.
    Interesting stuff. Maybe that's why i had so many issues slamming my rc cars lol. I'd lower the collars and the next thing the body is scraping the pavement

Thanks !! I'm going to drive around today measuring the corners in a few different spots and then set it when I get back. I really wish I could leave the front slammed and lower the back a bit but theyre already at the bottom threads. I may do the hose mod on the rear springs to get em lower. On the other hand with a decent setup I feel like letting them work to their potential and just keep the car at a better height.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Yeah, I found that setting the front ride height to 25-5/8" is as low as I can drive it without having daily clearance issues. I really liked the look of the front set to a little under 25-1/4", but it was to impractical (too much scraping). If you want the front lower put the Koni spring seat snap-ring in the lower snap-ring grove. And if you ever happen to want a set of 600 lb.in. Hypercoil front coilover spring let me know.

In the rear of my car i don't have any issues with the ride height since I have airsprings.
    Last edited by Blue28; 05-09-2010 at 09:44 AM.

SOM
    2002 SS

hey Blue, how much do you want for the front springs? I am thinking to just try a little more air pressure in the fronts to get me some more feedback. The Konis are set at the lower groove already. Since the rears are at the bottom threads right now i want the front gap to just be about 1/8th of an inch lower and Im happy.

Here's how she sat after I had finished and brought up the fronts a bit.

Here's with a full tank.

i think the passenger side is a tad higher than the drivers side. Right now, I brought both fronts up about 1/2 an inch and it was a bit too high so 1 more adjustment and I think I'm set.

Thread Information