Most appropriate shocks for Sportlines

I have some Sportline springs on the way and need to know what shocks would best compliment them. I mainly do street driving with some visits to the track. The OEM replacements are a choice. What others would you guys recommend. Please include part numbers if you know them. Any sponsor specials? Thanks

white
    95 Z28

if its primarily for the street get Bilstein HD's but because your using sportlines which are a lot lower, they will need to be revalved. Or you can buy them revalved

Quote Originally Posted by Z95SSCLONE
    if its primarily for the street get Bilstein HD's but because your using sportlines which are a lot lower, they will need to be revalved. Or you can buy them revalved
    What does the revalve mean? Why get these with the sportlines? Thanks

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by renips
    What does the revalve mean? Why get these with the sportlines? Thanks

The most appropriate shocks for the sportlines would be based on what you want to accomplish...

The reason why I say this is because the sportlines really are only good for looks or for straightline applications, that's about it. Those sportlines are a bit stiffer than stock, but still they are considered a SOFT set of springs for our f-bodies. I am assuming you bought them for good looks, as the drop in ride height will attest...

It depends if you want a great handler or a 1/4 miler.

If you want a great handler, as opposed to a straight-liner, then the sportlines really aren't what you would want for a a canyon-carver.

Since you got them though, you miiiiight compensate the lack of spring performance with a GREAT set of shocks, but even then it will not be IDEAL because the sportlines are a progressive spring setup, that is, it's a bit soft at first and then it gets stiffer, but with a 2 inch drop on all four corners with sportlines, your travel is severely limited, and to poooooooosibly compensate for that you would have to get some shocks with some serious damping to compensate for the softer progressive springs...Not a good ride quality either.

So, dude!!! What do you want your car to do? If you want your car to look good, then the sportlines are for you. If you want a great handler, then you need to get rid of those sportlines and get another spring setup...

If you want more information, I know of someone who can answer all of your questions and give you some excellent advice, but if you are set on the sportlines, then I guess you're in it for great looks, then any shock will suffice, just don't push it too hard, go real easy on the bumps, and you'll be just fine...And your car's stance will be looking REAL gooooooood!!!
    Last edited by Carlos01SS; 11-18-2005 at 02:16 PM.
    The Black 2001 SS #5697
    T-tops, 6-spd/B&M ripper, ARH LT's/GMMG/CME, Volant, Koni DA's & GC coilovers, Strano frt & rear sways, G2(SFC's w/v-braces, STB, adj PHR), Wilwood 6-piston red calipers frnt brakes w/13" 2-pc rotors, RKSport(clear front & rear corners, c-f grill), chrome Z06 wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos01SS

The most appropriate shocks for the sportlines would be based on what you want to accomplish...

The reason why I say this is because the sportlines really are only good for looks or for straightline applications, that's about it. Those sportlines are a bit stiffer than stock, but still they are considered a SOFT set of springs for our f-bodies. I am assuming you bought them for good looks, as the drop in ride height will attest...

It depends if you want a great handler or a 1/4 miler.

If you want a great handler, as opposed to a straight-liner, then the sportlines really aren't what you would want for a a canyon-carver.

Since you got them though, you miiiiight compensate the lack of spring performance with a GREAT set of shocks, but even then it will not be IDEAL because the sportlines are a progressive spring setup, that is, it's a bit soft at first and then it gets stiffer, but with a 2 inch drop on all four corners with sportlines, your travel is severely limited, and to poooooooosibly compensate for that you would have to get some shocks with some serious damping to compensate for the softer progressive springs...Not a good ride quality either.

So, dude!!! What do you want your car to do? If you want your car to look good, then the sportlines are for you. If you want a great handler, then you need to get rid of those sportlines and get another spring setup...

If you want more information, I know of someone who can answer all of your questions and give you some excellent advice, but if you are set on the sportlines, then I guess you're in it for great looks, then any shock will suffice, just don't push it too hard, go real easy on the bumps, and you'll be just fine...And your car's stance will be looking REAL gooooooood!!!
    Yes - I bought them for the dramatic drop in the stance.The lower center of gravity should be fun as well. I am thinking of going with the SLP Bilsteins. The reason I am replacing the shocks is because with almost 90K on the factory ones it is time to freshen things up and while I am in there I might as well do them both. Anyone know of any good deals on the SLP Bilsteins?

Black, Red, Silver Jade
    00 WS6,95 Ta, 69 R code

I have the Sportlines on my 2000 WS6 and it looks real nice.I am also running my factory shocks,back in those days there where relly not very many to choose from, now I wish I had some QA1's but I am not going to take all apart again, the fronts where a bare, I do have Spohns front and rear Extreme swaybars, Hotchkis LCA's, PHB,BMR Re-locations, and SLP SFC's and the car drives awesome.....You will like them and the only time I scrape is when I go over big speed bumps, and entering driveways that are steep you will learn that a angle becomes your best friend....

Quote Originally Posted by screamin chicken
    I have the Sportlines on my 2000 WS6 and it looks real nice.I am also running my factory shocks,back in those days there where relly not very many to choose from, now I wish I had some QA1's but I am not going to take all apart again, the fronts where a bare, I do have Spohns front and rear Extreme swaybars, Hotchkis LCA's, PHB,BMR Re-locations, and SLP SFC's and the car drives awesome.....You will like them and the only time I scrape is when I go over big speed bumps, and entering driveways that are steep you will learn that a angle becomes your best friend....
    I finally purchased the SLP Bilsteins. I noticed you did your spring installation. I have studied the how to's and looked at the suspension schematic. Was there anything you ran into that I may be surprised with? You are right about the angles when entering driveways. I can't wait for the lower center of gravity.

BlackHawk T/A
    The SLP Bilsteins are valved for their SLP Springs and I don't think they will be enough for a Sportline drop - but i'm no expert.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Pretty sure the SLP Bilsteins are valved for a 1" drop from stock. But I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobynine9
    Pretty sure the SLP Bilsteins are valved for a 1" drop from stock. But I could be wrong.
    I think you are right.

Thread Information