I'm (Hurst) Equipped... davebowtie's Avatar

Onyx Black
    '02 Camaro SS(replica) M6

Question LT1 vs. LS1 springs?

Hey everyone, I was curious if anyone has tried swapping springs from an LT1 car onto an LS1 car? I am aware that the front springs are definately stiffer (because on the iron block LT1) do u think I could cheat it tho? and maybe cut a coil or 2 out of them to level the car? I only ask this 'cause a couple of friends are goin' to a 'strip in a couple of weeks. I would like to go too, but, I'm on a budget and have LT1 spings lyin' here and have Sportlines on my '02 Camaro, that won't launch for crap if I leave 'em on... I'll have to buy some ACTUAL springs at a later date. I appreciate any constructive comments...
    C:\Documents and Settings\Dave\Desktop\sig01.jpg

White
    2001 Z28

You can run either, and in some cases the "LT1" springs are superior to "LS1" springs.

Onyx Black

Thanks for your reply Sam!, I'm still interested in anyone else's input out there...
    I'm thinkin' of takin out 1/2 coil out of the rear and one full or 1 and 1/2 coils out the front. I'm goin' off of the spring rate info. in one of the stickys above. just so you guys know. (I would hate to put the springs in the front, and have the nose a mile in the air.) It would be nice to trim them and only have to install them once... (i can be lazy). Please keep any info coming guys... I know I'm ghetto!

Onyx Black

BUMP...Well, I've cut 1-1/2 coils off the front, but have not installed them yet...

Onyx Black

Bump/Update

Well, I've got the springs installed now and If anyone else is gonna do this swap... U only need to cut about A HALF coil out of the front springs. As noted in my previous post, I cut a coil and a half. My reasoning being the lighter weight of the LS1 and my 'glass hood. But if I were to do this again, I would only cut out about half a coil (lightweight hood or not). If anyone has seen the front drop on the Sportlines, thats about what my car looks like. Not what I was hopin for but at least its not lower!

Metallic Blue
    1999 Trans Am

Hello,

I have a bone stock LS1 with a regular old hood, and I just perchased some LT1 front springs to replace my old ones for the same reason as you (unbeatable price). I'm not looking for a different ride angle or anything fancy, so would I still need to chop some of the spring in order for it to ride correctly? And if that is so, do I just literally chop a half coil off the spring with my grinder, and throw them on?

thanks so much,

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I would not cut the coils..

just my .02..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Metallic Blue
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I would not cut the coils..

just my .02..
    I've heard so many different answers to the question about the springs visiting different forums. Some say they are identical, some say they don't fit at all, some say they will fit and be noticablely different, and some say you wont notice. I just don't want to have them put in and have it sit right, then rip them out cut, bend or whatever to make them a bit lower then put them back in again.

I bought the springs because they were a good deal, I'd hate to loose my savings in labour if someone out there knows what to do to do it right the first time.

thanks again everyone,

Ray Charles blue

What is the price difference?

I have looked at lowering springs and I didnt think they were THAT expensive. If I had to replace mine I would be damned if I would use stockers.

Metallic Blue
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    What is the price difference?

I have looked at lowering springs and I didnt think they were THAT expensive. If I had to replace mine I would be damned if I would use stockers.
    I have lowering springs on it right now which make it way way to low for where I need to drive it. When I bought it the exhaust pipes looked like I'd beaten it flat with a hammer.

I want to put it back up to stock hight, which is alot smoother for an already stiff handling car, and the car sits lower then any car on the road anyways, why make it worse?

Stocks are 250 in the front and 100 in the rear where I am. and these LT1s were 50 for the fonts so I'm willing to do some figuring with them to save 200 dollars.

Ray Charles blue

I had a Z51 suspension C4 and another C4.......they sit lower than our f-body cars my friend (at last I think so....lol) and ride far harsher. The Z28, SS, WS6, Formula are good cars but are not what I would call a stiff handling car. They drive like a big car to me.

I do understand about saving money though so I see your idea unfolding.

Onyx Black

ya, do not cut the springs. Lol.

Ray Charles blue

Put them in and then while the car is sitting use a torch to heat them and they will weaken and compress..............

I am joking. I have been looking and cant find a whole lot on the subject.

Metallic Blue
    1999 Trans Am

yeah, I guess I'll just have to put them on, then just see if its really bad enough to rip them off and compress them a bit. Hopefully it looks just fine

Thread Information