Lowering/Torque arm help?

This is a discussion on Lowering/Torque arm help? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Back in the spring, I started accumulating parts to lower my T/A. When I finally had everything, I decided to ...

black
    1999 trans am

Lowering/Torque arm help?

Back in the spring, I started accumulating parts to lower my T/A. When I finally had everything, I decided to start major surgery on my car, including a rear end swap to a strange 60, UMI panhard rod, adjustable torque arm, and relocation bracket. While doing the rear end swap we put on all of these parts, including my new shocks and springs. When we finished and lowered the car, the torque arm bracket that attached to the rear end immediately hit the floor of the car, and allowed no suspension travel. I was wondering if anybody else ever came across this problem, or knew a way to remedy it? I haven't yet found a torque arm that has a less bulky bracket, other than the factory one
    Any help is appreciated

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

what springs did you use?

black
    1999 trans am

eibach pro kit

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

i just got a set of these for free they sit your car lower then most other lowering springs. you can try to put some coil spring spacers in the rear springs. you can get them at the autoparts in the towing section. that might help you raise it up enough to clear. Some may tell you to do the "Hose mod" ive heard of this but to me that seems to backyard to me. Those rubber inserts at the part store are only about $8 i think. On a side note. My buddy had a T/A we lowered it, then a few weeks later put 3 point subframe connectors on and it actually brought it down a little bit further. dont know if any other T/A owners have expiernced this or not.

black
    1999 trans am

I feel as though if I put the spacers on, there wasn't any point in putting the lowering springs on in the first place

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

there not enough that your really going to notice but enough that you will clear. Or you can ride around with the torque arm smacking the floorboard.

black
    1999 trans am

there's hardly enough space without the car being lowered, I'm looking for more of a solution to the bulky bracket on the torque arm

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

What torque arm you using? Did you get the adj? And the torque arm relocstion bracket?
    2002 Camaro Z28, A4, MS4 cam, underdrive pulley, Pacesetter LTs with ORX true duals
    2000 Camaro SS, M6, SLP LTs with ORX true duals

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'm using the drag racing BMR TrakPak (tunnel mount which is pretty stout) adjustable torque arm and am lowered on Strano's and have no clearance issues.

How much do the Eibach's lower the car? Strano's are 1.2".

Some people, well a lot actually, have to "create" some clearance in the tunnel by massaging out the floorboard with the BFH mod.

black
    02 Z28 and 00 SS

my bad re-read your OP im running the umi setup you got as well. Had kinda the same issue you have but im running the summit lowering springs. If i get a chance ill crawl underneath and shoot some pics for you. I was worried about mine hitting but i went to the track and have been doing some pulls on the street and i cant hear anything at all. Plus my exhaust touchs the torque arm. Idk might just be one of those freak occurences. But 35th is right BFH always comes in handy for a lil extra clearence.

The Generals Finest Deviant LS1's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

There are two sets of bolt holes for the rear attachment points. You can gain clearance by using the inner most holes. This requires cutting off the sections of the plates with the outermost holes. If that doesn't do it than you'll need to pound on the tunnel to get the clearance you need.

Thread Information