Results 1 to 14 of 14

lowering springs

This is a discussion on lowering springs within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Anyone tried the vogtland springs ? If so how are they? Does anyone know how they compare to the pro ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    16

    blue
    2000 trans am ws6

    lowering springs

    Anyone tried the vogtland springs ? If so how are they? Does anyone know how they compare to the pro kits?

  2. #2
    Crazy Canuck ! Eugenio_SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Montreal, CANADA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,190

    triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

    what is the spring rate ? are they progressive, linear ?
    behaviour will be dictated by those specs.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    16

    blue
    2000 trans am ws6

    It did not say if they are progressive or linear. The only specs listed were :
    spring pounds per inch front:336-542 lbs/inch
    rear:77-228 lbs/inch

    working rate front:440-542 lbs/inch

    rear:183-228 lbs/inch

    I dont know anything about these figures I just want the car to look good and have a good ride. It also said that they lower the car 1.2 inches front and back.
    thanks.

  4. #4
    Crazy Canuck ! Eugenio_SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Montreal, CANADA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,190

    triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

    Quote Originally Posted by 00 ws6q View Post
    It did not say if they are progressive or linear. The only specs listed were :
    spring pounds per inch front:336-542 lbs/inch
    rear:77-228 lbs/inch

    working rate front:440-542 lbs/inch

    rear:183-228 lbs/inch

    I dont know anything about these figures I just want the car to look good and have a good ride. It also said that they lower the car 1.2 inches front and back.
    thanks.
    that actually says everything.
    that means that the springs are progressive... otherwise the rate would not change with the difference compression position on the spring.
    the working rate is based with the vehicule weight @ rest to full compression.
    These springs are gonna make the rear too stiff and make the car very tail happy.
    with a spring rate ~ 500 in the front, i wouldn't go anything much higher than 150 in the rear.
    Basically, you'll be constantly losing traction on the rear of the car.
    If anything, i'd go w/ the Strano springs, which are around 550front and 150rear (don't quote me on those #s... basing on memory only)

    Then you have to look @ shocks to suit the spring rates.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    215
    I have the Vogtland springs on my 01 Z28. The box says they are progressive and 30% lighter than the factory springs. The coils are smaller in diameter and have the toughest powder coat I've encountered.
    Click for full size
    The ride is fairly taut and supposed to be 1.2 inches lower but it seems like more than that.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    16

    blue
    2000 trans am ws6

    thanks very much for the info and taking the time to respond.

  7. #7
    Junior Member hotpart.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Paso Robles CA
    Posts
    44
    These are a handling spring and will stiffen the ride up on your car. In terms on the rear rate; they are designed to help the car rotate so you do not have to run those enormous anti-roll bars other companies encourage you to run. If you take for example a typical aftermarket anti-roll bar and a 150lb spring your wheel rate be higher than a stock rear sway bar and the Vogtland spring rear wheel rate. We do not like using the bigger anti-roll bars because in the rear they tend to lift the inside tire during cornering which will hurt your total grip and really make your corner exit speeds suffer.
    Brian Croutcher
    J&M Products
    www.hotpart.com
    brian@hotpart.com
    805-239-1558 Phone

  8. #8
    Crazy Canuck ! Eugenio_SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Montreal, CANADA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,190

    triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

    Quote Originally Posted by hotpart.com View Post
    These are a handling spring and will stiffen the ride up on your car. In terms on the rear rate; they are designed to help the car rotate so you do not have to run those enormous anti-roll bars other companies encourage you to run. If you take for example a typical aftermarket anti-roll bar and a 150lb spring your wheel rate be higher than a stock rear sway bar and the Vogtland spring rear wheel rate. We do not like using the bigger anti-roll bars because in the rear they tend to lift the inside tire during cornering which will hurt your total grip and really make your corner exit speeds suffer.
    but those spring rates for the back are too high, even if having the 19mm rear swaybar... you'll simply lose rear traction too easily unless you increase both the spring rate in the front and put a HUGE front sway-bar to compensate. I figure you would need at least another 100lbs/in in the front and at least a 35/36mm front swaybar... for the car to behave better and not just lose rear traction on corners.

  9. #9
    Junior Member hotpart.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Paso Robles CA
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    but those spring rates for the back are too high, even if having the 19mm rear swaybar... you'll simply lose rear traction too easily unless you increase both the spring rate in the front and put a HUGE front sway-bar to compensate. I figure you would need at least another 100lbs/in in the front and at least a 35/36mm front swaybar... for the car to behave better and not just lose rear traction on corners.
    These springs are designed to allow for you to rotate the car during cornering without the need of the bigger rear bar. If you want to reduce body roll you can do that with either stiffer springs or larger anti-roll bars. The problem with using a larger anti-roll bar in the rear is cornering ability and corner exit acceleration can suffer from unloading of the inside rear tire. If you increase the wheel rate by using springs and not the anit-roll bar you do not have the problem of pulling the inside rear tire during cornering. Everybody has a different feeling of what the car is doing since everybodies driving styles are different so it will be personal preference on how much wheel rate you want. Good luck on your decision. I will tell you if you just want to lower the car for looks and retain a factory quality ride these are not the springs for you. These are a performance spring designed for handling.

  10. #10
    Member BitViper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sandy Ego Ca
    Posts
    324

    Yellow
    ZO6 Corvette

    Off topic..but in Karting ..this...
    because in the rear they tend to lift the inside tire during cornering which will hurt your total grip
    is exactly what you want..but that because teh frame of teh kart asct as a big sway bar

  11. #11
    Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,485

    Blood Red
    Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by 00 ws6q View Post
    Anyone tried the vogtland springs ? If so how are they? Does anyone know how they compare to the pro kits?
    I know that vogtland produces the Strano Springs from Stranoparts.com.

    The rates that Sam has selected sound ideal for our cars but I have yet to see a post from someone who is running them.

  12. #12
    This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    2,517

    Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

    Could I run the Vogtland springs with any shocks (KYB gas-a-just for example)? Or would I need something adjustable?
    Which shocks are recommendable anyway for a mostly stock daily driver?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    Could I run the Vogtland springs with any shocks (KYB gas-a-just for example)? Or would I need something adjustable?
    Which shocks are recommendable anyway for a mostly stock daily driver?
    If you don't mind me throwing in my 2, I just replaced the deCarbon shocks with Gabriels inside the Vogtland springs. I can understand me getting booed out of the place but they are better than what they replaced and I'm a straight line driver. I spent so little on the struts that the whole effort of lowering my car cost way less than $300 US. The car hugs the road in a turn and I'm pleased with it all.

  14. #14
    This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    2,517

    Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

    sounds tempting...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Wanted: Wtb lowering springs
    By 98maro in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 02-08-2011, 10:42 AM
  2. B and G lowering springs
    By Mr.Lee in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-22-2009, 10:02 AM
  3. Lowering Springs
    By Vertiviper in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-22-2006, 04:38 PM
  4. B+G Sport Springs 1998/02 F-Body 1.4 " Lowering Springs
    By Stealthperf.com in forum Sales and Group Purchases from our Great Sponsors!
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2006, 01:18 PM
  5. B+G Sport Springs 1998/02 F-Body 1.4 " Lowering Springs
    By Stealthperf.com in forum Sales and Group Purchases from our Great Sponsors!
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-2005, 06:53 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •