Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pewter
    2002 camaro z28

Lowering springs

OK guys i am gonna be lowering my 2002 z28 in the next few weeks and am reading about all these spring but i dont wanna lower my car much just a 1-1 1/2 inch not 2-3 inches like i hear all these brands can do... any help?? pics??

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

stranos should be the way to go... waht shocks do you have? is recommended get better shocks if you got the stock ones..

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

stranos are highly recommended here. I got Hotchkis (1" drop). I like 'em alot. I would have gotten the Stranos but he had a back order and I needed them quickly. Leo is right, if your doing springs might as well look at shocks too.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Like mentioned, with aftermarket lowering springs your ride comfort will be hindered if you still have the stock shocks. With lowering springs you have less travel and the stock shocks cannot handle the new spring rate to dampen effectively.

Also, when you lower the car you're going to need to get an alignment at bare minimum.

Lowering also changes the cars suspension geometry; pinion angle, rear end being off center, lower control arm instant center...

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

I just put a set of BMR springs on yesterday, along with a set of KYB GR-2 shocks, ride comfort has gone down considerably, but I also haven't gottena chance to put in the LCA relo brackets or the adjustable PHR I bought with the set, so it's to be expected. I got about a 1.3in drop all the way around, so I'm happy. Also OP, uneven drop or the better know term(fbody lean) is a common problem with these cars when you lower them. So be sure to get an adjustable PHR at the least to help minimize the chance of it happening. A set of LCA relocation brackets is a must as well. If you don't......be prepared to feel a bit sick after your first ride with the new springs lol.

Black
    2000 WS6

Actually, what I would do is pull my springs, then cut em to the length I want.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhereman View Post
    This would result in an even harsher ride. Stock springs do not have the correct spring rate to be cut at all and act like lowering springs.

Black
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    This would result in an even harsher ride. Stock springs do not have the correct spring rate to be cut at all and act like lowering springs.
    Actually, anytime you lower a car you will get a harsher ride. Your giving up travel. You run softer rate spring all you will do is use up the reduced travel that you have left.
    Progressive rate springs are bunk. They sack after a while and you end up with even less travel and a harsh ride.
    If all you want is to drop her an inch, keep the stock boingers and cut em.
    Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Nowhereman

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Actually, anytime you lower a car you will get a harsher ride. Your giving up travel. You run softer rate spring all you will do is use up the reduced travel that you have left.
    Progressive rate springs are bunk. They sack after a while and you end up with even less travel and a harsh ride.
    If all you want is to drop her an inch, keep the stock boingers and cut em.
    I'm going to have to disagree. I have Strano lowering springs and Koni 4/4 shocks and my car drives almost like the stock set-up. There is a reason why lowering springs have a different spring rate. It's to keep the car from bottoming out on the bump stops. Cut your stock springs to reduce the travel and you will be bottoming out over every harsh bump there is.

Navy Blue Metallic

Agree with Jon, here. My Hotchkis ride far better then the stock ones I replaced. There are a number of things that also effect the quality of ride.

Tires, wheels, springs, shocks, poly mounts, even the PHB, LCA's, & TA.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Agree with Jon and Scott +1

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Sorry but that's a bit ricer status in my book. I knew several kids in high school that did either that or heated the springs with a torch to compress them for their POS econo boxes. The cars didn't handle any better and the ride was terrible. If you lower a car properly with all the supporting mods ride comfort shouldn't suffer much. I just got my brackets and PHR installed today, my car is back to feeling almost stock. Only difference is the car feels much more solid and handles/launches much better. You won't get those benefits by cutting springs.

Navy Blue Metallic

Cutting springs is a long time tradition in drag racing and show cars. It's been around at least since the 50's. Yes I agree that technology has come a long way, but the practice is still around and a valid option for the right "car application".

Not something I would do to our F-bodies, but lets say a old school roadster, then yeah.

White
    2001 Z28

First, let me say I have some springs in stock.

Second, let me say that ride is a function of a number of things, including spring rate, height, and shocks. GR2's and lowering springs will never be a good idea. GR2's aren't a really good idea on their own, but best kept to stock springs since they are inexpensive (read cheap) stock replacements. The second issue would be the choice of spring, not all spring are created equal, and even though some have tried to "borrow" things I put in mine they really just can't. A copy is never as good as the real thing.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

I agree, yeh I knew using the GR-2s with my new setup wasn't the best idea, I can tell by the way the car handles bumps in the road and going over the "hump" into my garage that they're crap and aren't gonna last long with these springs. They're temporary till I can get some bilsteins or konis.

White
    2001 Z28

It's the combination of the two. The shocks aren't great, the springs are making things worse (and admittedly my springs wouldn't be happy with those shocks either). That said, I've have not let, or rather tried to stop you, from wasting your money on those shocks with my springs had I had the chance. I'm pretty particular about things working well, because I don't want my stuff getting bad mouthed because some other link in the chain is a problem. In short, I'd have asked you what shocks, and laid this out for ya. Frankly, stock shocks probably would have been better.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

I'd recommend getting a set of bilstein shocks at a minimum, but Koni SAs are you best bet for dialing in the shock valving to match you spring rate.

NBM Z28

BMR hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good quality stance, no issues at all.. Plus i just purcharsed BMR subframes and panhard.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

I had an Eibach/BMR spring mix on my T/A and they ended up sagging to way more than the advertised 1.25-1.5" drop. It scrapped everywhere. Now I have Stranos and Bilsteins and my car rides and looks awesome without scrapping. IMO there's a reason why the majority of people on here run his springs. I would at least give Sam a call or pm him and he can give you some solid info to help you make your decision.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

i'm planning to run Stranos, and you prob wont change my mind on those...I want Konis, but I don't want to spend that much money...

What do yall think of the KYB AGXs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information