black
    98 ws6

Lowering Springs

I can tell its been talked about a thousand times here but it just kinda bums me out that most people are against lowering these cars. I have literally had lowering springs in my basement for three years and was conna put them on this weekend but I might be reconsidering after doing some reading here.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

what!? no one is 'against' lowering these cars.

you need to elaborate a little more. are you making a comment/statement, or are you wanting some advice? what exactly?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

nothing wrong with lowering, just make sure you have a good set of shocks to go with the springs
    there's a lot involved in lowering, your whole suspension gets thrown off which is why most recommend adjustable suspension parts such as a panhard bar, torque arm, and lower control arm relocation brackets

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    nothing wrong with lowering, just make sure you have a good set of shocks to go with the springs
    there's a lot involved in lowering, your whole suspension gets thrown off which is why most recommend adjustable suspension parts such as a panhard bar, torque arm, and lower control arm relocation brackets
    well, that's what i would have followed up with, but his post is simply to vague.

know the stance you want and get the suspension components necessary to achieve the goal.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

i would not like the way my car looks at all if it wasnt lowered. in my opinion lowering the car is a must.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

the only thing i hear people complaint alittle is the exhaust scraping some at speed bumps. you just have to take them slower. i did lower my front but I didn't like the back ones. It definaly gives these cars a sharper look. Remember to get an aligment after you lower your car.

black
    98 ws6

Dont get me wrong I really want to lower the car. The springs that I have will lower the car 1.6 inches which isnt a whole lot but from some of the posts that I read it just seemed that most people are against it or at least say it might be a bad idea. Another problem might be the set of 315's that I have on the back. I dont really want to do the BFH mod to the inner fender. I just dont want the car to ride like a tank. So I guess I am asking for advice

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

what brand are the springs? with 315s lowered that much you'll most likely have to do some hammering. the biggest thing that attributes to ride comfort is the shocks, most would say koni is the way to go. if thats too expensive bilsteins are the next best for your buck. unless you do shocks, it will ride like a tank.
    if you want to lower the car i would tell you to look into springs that dont ride so low, strano is real popular and some run hotchkis and like those as well. like jay said slow around speed bumps and its not as big a deal as some make it out to be
    my .02

black
    98 ws6

There Suspension Techniques. I go them through Exotic Performance Plus a while back. I was going to do shocks but I wasn't sure which brand I should go with.

White
    83 Datsun 280ZX

To help with the rough ride up front you could "section" the front struts.

If you are going to drop the car 1.6" then by removing 1.6" of the strut's shaft will place the load back to where it needs to be. Just dropping the car without doing this will place the struts near bottoming out (which gives the rough ride). Sectioning them returns the struts ability for down-travel, and absorb the bumps again.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Situation Normal View Post
    To help with the rough ride up front you could "section" the front struts.

If you are going to drop the car 1.6" then by removing 1.6" of the strut's shaft will place the load back to where it needs to be. Just dropping the car without doing this will place the struts near bottoming out (which gives the rough ride). Sectioning them returns the struts ability for down-travel, and absorb the bumps again.
    and how you do this removing? you talking about doing this to the current shocks?

White
    83 Datsun 280ZX

You do it by literally cutting out and removing a section of the pistons shaft the same length as the lowering distance of the springs. In this case the OP pointed out that his springs are 1.6" lower than stock. The section of the piston shaft that'll be removed is the length directly opposite the body. The upper mounting portion is then re-welded back to the shaft. The shock/strut is now sectioned, and the internals are now back in the original "pre-loaded" or static position.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

1.6" is a BIG drop. You might not think that, but trust me, it is.

You need shocks to support those new springs. The stock Decarbons suck.

You need an alignment also. You SHOULD get adjustable suspension parts, like mentioned. These include: PHB, Lower Control Arms, Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets, and a Torque Arm. Lowering the car changes your instant center and your pinion angle. Therefore, you loose traction and on a hard launch, can damage your drive train due to the pinion angle being so far off.

Simply put, you shouldn't just lower the car and call it a day. If done right, it can look great and ride great.

Good luck

Thread Information