Lowering springs

This is a discussion on Lowering springs within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; I am in the process of deciding on my suspension pieces to lower my 98 SS. Eibach 1" springs, BMR, ...

Sebring Silver
    1998 Camaro SS

Lowering springs

I am in the process of deciding on my suspension pieces to lower my 98 SS. Eibach 1" springs, BMR, or Hotchkis 1"? Which shocks? Can I go with the SLP Bilstein system even though it says stock height springs? I have had Hotchkis rear components on the car for about 9 years now and an SLP X subframe connector. It handles well but I want to lose the 4x4 stance and tighten up the handling without scraping every pebble on the road and rubbing tires in the wheel wells. Thanks for any advice and I'll post some pics of my baby soon.

White
    2001 Z28

First off Eibach doesn't make 1" lowering springs. Secondly BMR springs are cheap copies of Strano Performance Springs (but not made of the same material). Hotchkis springs are an approxmiate 1" drop. I sell Eibach, Hotchkis and of course Strano (and H&R and Vogtland too). I will not sell BMR, ever.

Bilstein shocks are not meant for any real lowering springs. In fact of the ones you mentioned, the Hotchkis are most suitable for use with Bilstein shocks because they are the least low and the lowest rate (which best matches what the shocks were intended to damp).

I can't really tell if your SS has a Level 1 suspension on it (with the Bilstein's) or not. If you want to lower it a little and tighten it way up I'd suggest looking a different way entirely. I'd say take your spring monies, add it to your shocks and run a set of Koni's which are the cat's ass in control. You can lower the car slightly, about 1/2-3/4" without changing springs, you ride doesn't suffer (and would actually improve) because you aren't putting stiffer springs on. You close up some of the gap. That's one alternative. Others include Koni's and lowering springs, or Bilstein's and lowering springs (not ideal, but not bad), or any of those combinations with a set of bigger swaybars which will tighten the car up tremendously by adding about 30% more roll stiffness over your stock bars.

Bars control roll. Springs help with the roll, and the pitch and clearly lower the car... they also cost you some working suspension travel and stiffen the ride because they are shorter and stiffer, and require more aggressive shocks to work well long-term. Shocks are what control not how much, but how fast the car rolls and pitches. Also how it rides bumps, how quickly the car takes a set, and how it reacts to bumps, dips, RR tracks, etc. The parts all do different jobs, but they also must work together to get a good result.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Sebring Silver
    1998 Camaro SS

Thank you for the fast reply. I was referring to the Eibach Pro-Kit springs, they have an advertised 1.2" drop front and rear. You suggest Koni shocks which I have heard are great but I did want to move down from the stock ride height some. With the Koni Yellows would I still need springs for the rear to lose the stink bug stance? My SS has the DeCarbon shocks now. I am looking for a handling package that is streetable, from your website I see that there are a few options but I want to make an informed decision.

Sebring Silver
    1998 Camaro SS

Strano springs and Koni 4/3 for a nice package that lasts?

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ebonreaver View Post
    Thank you for the fast reply. I was referring to the Eibach Pro-Kit springs, they have an advertised 1.2" drop front and rear. You suggest Koni shocks which I have heard are great but I did want to move down from the stock ride height some. With the Koni Yellows would I still need springs for the rear to lose the stink bug stance? My SS has the DeCarbon shocks now. I am looking for a handling package that is streetable, from your website I see that there are a few options but I want to make an informed decision.
    The issue with Eibach is they are inconsistant in their actual drop, and the rears, over time tend to lose height. Basically they just aren't as good as they once were in LS1 versions. LT1 Pro-kits are actually much better.

You can get a slight drop in the rear (not as much as springs however) by doing what folks call the hose or isolator mod. But again, we're talking around 1/2" maybe a little more, not 1"+, you would need springs for that. And the Koni's don't effect height in the rear, just in the front where they have a secondary lower spring perch height.

Putting a package together isn't that hard, and I'd be more than happy to help you do it, including talking over the options...

Silver
    2000 TA LS1 A4w/ShiftKit

Sam how can I contact u ? Lookn to do some suspension work to the TA but am up in the air on what to do. If u could help me out that would b great.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Please don't post direct links to non sponsors

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

CK. The second mod I did after a lid was Sam's springs, bars, Konis and UMI panhard. It totally transformed the handling of the car and made it so much more fun to drive. I feel safer too because when I am on unfamiliar backroads hauling a$$ I don't have to worry about any sharp curves slipping up on me.

The ride is more firm and does take a little getting used to and big speed bumps and steep angles (up or down) I try to approach at a side angle to prevent scraping. The performance I gained is well worth these small compromises IMO.

Oh one other negative.....I now put way too many miles on it cause it's too fun to drive The Z-71 is the one sitting in the driveway all the time now

Red
    98 Trans Am

Not to dig up an old thread too much but how are Vogtland springs in comparison to say BMR or Stannos?

Strano springs are made by Vogtland but to his specs ie spring rate, height, type of metal (they are lighter than everybody elses) and derived from his race setup. These are widely regarded as extermely capable for racing and street use. Vogtland will be a high quality product developed to what their R&D guys think is best. BMR springs are highly regarded on most forums as well with some very happy customers, Their rates and lowering seem to be similar to Strano stuff regarding advertised rate, drop etc., but there is no argument that they do not share the same type of steel - theirs is derived from a heavier metal. Once again, these are very streetable springs. Try a search comparing springs, there are crappy springs out there! There is some controversy regarding copying spring rates - I'll leave it at that. Talk to the vendors, racers etc. Just be aware sales people may suggest product for many reasons but not have direct experience with the stuff. Do more searching so you buy what will work best for you!

Red
    98 Trans Am

Thank you for the response. Your the first in a while to answer my inquiries about these. I came across some vogtlands for like $160 on ebay. seems like a pretty good price for springs compared to BMRs. Not sure how much Strannos are. Dont even know where to look.

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ebonreaver View Post
    I am in the process of deciding on my suspension pieces to lower my 98 SS. Eibach 1" springs, BMR, or Hotchkis 1"? Which shocks? Can I go with the SLP Bilstein system even though it says stock height springs? I have had Hotchkis rear components on the car for about 9 years now and an SLP X subframe connector. It handles well but I want to lose the 4x4 stance and tighten up the handling without scraping every pebble on the road and rubbing tires in the wheel wells. Thanks for any advice and I'll post some pics of my baby soon.
    bilstein has some shocks that are tuned for hypercoil springs they sell in a kit from classic industies. This kit was made for our cars. Dropped mine about an inch feels close to stock on the road but handles better

I think you should use your favourite search engine for pricing, specs and vendor info ( and 800 number- I see you're in Germany! ). Sponsors for this site would be a good start as well. I have the SLP Eibach springs and have the typical rear spring sag - quite annoying. The drop wasn't very radical which suited me fine but they are softer and allow more pitching than is ideal. This is partly due to the variable spring rate as well - makes the ride "softer" under easy driving then as the spring compresses, the stiffer portion comes into play. How does a shock dampen the variable rate of a variable spring? Typically not that well. There will be sacrifices to ride/handling etc. Maybe a linear rate spring would more performance oriented ( not as soft initially ). Researching before purchasing is your best bet.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    Thank you for the response. Your the first in a while to answer my inquiries about these. I came across some vogtlands for like $160 on ebay. seems like a pretty good price for springs compared to BMRs. Not sure how much Strannos are. Dont even know where to look.
    My springs are $275 shipped in the continental US, or to an APO address.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Im sillly

....went to the website, answered my question and .... of course i saw alot of goodies that i REALLY want now. (Removed off topic question)
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 09-27-2010 at 01:22 PM.

White
    2001 Z28

Again, the $275 is shipped within the continental United States or to an APO address.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    Again, the $275 is shipped within the continental United States or to an APO address.
    Yeah, i went to the website and looked it up like i should have . Good deal on the APO shipping. I will DEFINATLY be doing business with you in the near future... unless i find a good deal on ebay of course Ill also direct my last question to a new thread about the watts link instead of thread jacking. mybad

Thread Information