Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Snake Eater

Lowering my car..

I was thinking about purchasing the Eibach pro kit to drop my car. Will I be okay with dropping my car w/o purchasing any aftermarket shocks and/or other suspension parts? (ex. bilstein)

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

I personally would not lower the car without getting shocks.
    Is there a reason you only want to do springs ?
    is it due to budget ?
    If anything, I would do shocks and not do springs.
    You know there are way of lowering the car with simply shocks, such as Koni SA in the front and Bilstein HD (or any other) in the back and do the hose-mod in the rear.
    That will lower your car 3/4" and increase damping properties (both handling and confort)
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

triple-black

but to answer your question, the stock deCarbons are pretty much crappy and can barely handle the stock spring rate.
    Having any other after market spring will make matters worse, since the shocks won't be able to handle the increased spring rate... and the car will bounce a lot, since it'll be underdamped.
    Just remember that spring movement won't be under control.

Eric @ DMS
    The stock shocks will wear much quicker whenever lowering your car. Most of our customer who use our springs use Koni's, Bilsteins or KYB adjustables. Drop me a line and I"ll be happy to help.

PS> A majority of our customers ditched their Eibachs for ours

triple-black

what are the spring rates on the DMSs ? I forgot.

Snake Eater
    1) i'm on a budget.
    2)i'd like to sit cleaner on my rims.

AND-- would shock/springs together be good enough?

triple-black

1. if you can, wait a bit and save a few $ and do both.
    2. as I mentionned, there are alternate ways of lowering, such as getting the Koni SA (has 2 perch locations) and the hose mod in the rear... while kepping stock springs.
    this combo is great for confort, handling and looks... lowers the car 3/4"

Snake Eater
    okay thanks

The Rookie
    what is the hose mod for the rear? I too have been considering lowering my 02 SS, but have not done so. I do already have KYB AGX shocks on the car. I put them on about 2 months ago and love them, but want a lower more agressive look. Especially in the back.

NBM
    98 Z

Quote Originally Posted by The Rookie
    what is the hose mod for the rear? I too have been considering lowering my 02 SS, but have not done so. I do already have KYB AGX shocks on the car. I put them on about 2 months ago and love them, but want a lower more agressive look. Especially in the back.
    You can probly find a how-to somewhere, but basically you're removing the rubber pad that the top of the rear spring rests against. Then you slide a piece of garden hose onto the top coil or so of the spring. The 'hose' part of the hose mod is just to avoid metal-on-metal contact after you do the 'mod' part.

The Rookie
    ok thanks. How many people have done this. No problems afterwards? Is it pretty easy to do?

triple-black

Quote Originally Posted by The Rookie
    ok thanks. How many people have done this. No problems afterwards? Is it pretty easy to do?
    lots of ppl doing it, including ppl racing in SCCA and it's approved through inspections... and so far, no failure both on street or track.

Red
    2001, Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eater
    I was thinking about purchasing the Eibach pro kit to drop my car. Will I be okay with dropping my car w/o purchasing any aftermarket shocks and/or other suspension parts? (ex. bilstein)
    If you are getting Eibach Pro kit then you really need to get new shocks because the stock ones are awful and will wear away quickly. In addition, it will be cheaper to do it all at once rather then finding out later you need new shocks. I did a suspension modification to my old 1999 V6 with the 3800 GT Performance & Handling package and wow what an improvement. My setup was Eibach Prokit & KYB Shocks. I can’t wait to do another suspension to upgrade to my 01 Z.

Pewter
    2002 Z28 M6

What kind of hose do you use for the hose-mod? Would heater hose work? What size hose? I would think you would want to use something that was abrasion resistant. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

NBM
    98 Z

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie Guy
    What kind of hose do you use for the hose-mod? Would heater hose work? What size hose? I would think you would want to use something that was abrasion resistant. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    People usually use garden hose, I wouldn't be too worried about abrasion as the top of the spring won't have a chance to move unless the suspension is totally unloaded, in which case you're either airborne (bigger problems than hose mod abrasion) or up on jackstands (no movement to cause abrasion).

BlackHawk T/A
    Quote Originally Posted by TGrits10
    in which case you're either airborne (bigger problems than hose mod abrasion)

Black, Red, Silver Jade
    00 WS6,95 Ta, 69 R code

I used the Eibach sportline on my 2000 WS6 and I still run my stock shocks with no problems, then again my car is not a daily driver and only have about 32,xxx miles on it, but I do take it on trips, like Atlanta once a year for the last 3 years and have had no problems....
    2007 Yukon XL (sold)
    2014 Z71 LTZ 3LZ (sold)
    2010 Escalade Platinum AWD , 6.2
    2017 Silverado HC , 4x4, 6.2

2000 WS6 ASC#2300 Holly LS6 intake, TR Custom grind cam, Mac Mids w/ ORY,Hotchkis LCA's, PHB, BMR Extreme STB, BMR re-location brackets,Eibach Sportlines, GMMG, Mccleod Pro 5.0, SLP SFC's, OEM ZO6 wheels
    1995 TA
    1969 R code Mach I my new project

Pewter
    2002 Z28 M6

Used 1/2 in heater hose and a squirt of Break Free CLP. Slid right on--Hardest part was taking the wheels off.
    Bowtie good! Blue oval not so good! Bob in the PRK

Vettish
    When I had my 1996 Z28 I had sportline Eibach springs with stock shocks and they held up just fine. Two of my buddies had the Pro Kit and wheel gap is still there and the front actaully looked higher than the back. Go with the sportlines or a progressive rate spring IMO.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Eric... at DMS. Gimme a salespitch.

What makes your springs so much better than Eibach or Hotchkis or BMR or anybody elses? How much stiffer are they? How much will they lower my 01 SS? How much will they run me? And, unspecific to your springs, if I lower the car, how much longer am I going to need to lengthen the panhard bar adjustment to keep the axle centered? Some folks are saying you need to swap shocks too. I've got Bilsteins on it already. That good enough?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information