Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Lowered Camaro Gangster Lean

This is a discussion on Lowered Camaro Gangster Lean within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; thanks, What I meant is it ok to use more than one pair of boosters on a spring at a ...

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

thanks, What I meant is it ok to use more than one pair of boosters on a spring at a time to get more height if necessary.
    I just bought a set hopefully this fixes things

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    thanks, What I meant is it ok to use more than one pair of boosters on a spring at a time to get more height if necessary.
    I just bought a set hopefully this fixes things
    I wouldn't go too crazy with addidng boosters.. They take away from your compression. One pair should do the trick; if it doesn't you'll prob have to look at a different solution. You may be able to get away with a pair at the top and and the bottom of the spring, but I think the ride would suffer..

but hey the good thing is, if it does actaully work, you just found a darn cheap solution lol.. keep me posted on the results please, i'm curious
    Last edited by nichoLaS1; 10-29-2010 at 12:05 PM.

White
    2008 Chevy Silverado 4x4

when i removed them from my buddies mustang there were 2 per spring. i dont think you can use 2 sets per spring tho

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

ok well I got the boosters, I tried to put them in but there's no way in hell they're gonna fit in there without some decompression. I tried to squeeze them in/decompress the spring in every way I could imagine to no avail. So i'm gonna take it to a shop tomorrow and see if they can get them in.

black
    1999 camaro SS

ok well I got the boosters, I tried to put them in but there's no way in hell they're gonna fit in there without some decompression. I tried to squeeze them in/decompress the spring in every way I could imagine to no avail. So i'm gonna take it to a shop tomorrow and see if they can get them in.
    most parts stores rent out spring compressors (autozone, oreily's)
    Last edited by xmarkx; 10-29-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    get the car way up with jack stands under the body. jack up the rear end, unbolt your shocks AND LCA at the axle tubes, then lower the rear slowly. that should give you more then enough space to get the boosters in there.
    I've been trying to put them in the front not the rear, since that's where the greatest amount of lean is.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I've never seen any of those items posted that were worth a shit... Buy new springs.. just my .02..
    Last edited by Smittro; 10-29-2010 at 10:52 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

black
    1999 camaro SS

I've been trying to put them in the front not the rear, since that's where the greatest amount of lean is.
    I know. I changed my response like 1 minute after posting it after I reread what you said. sorry for the useless tip.

Silver
    1998 hardtop SS

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I've never seen any of those items posted that were worth a shit... Buy new springs.. just my .02..
    Agreed, those spring "boosters" suck and will only screw up the way the car handles/rides.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by km346 View Post
    Agreed, those spring "boosters" suck and will only screw up the way the car handles/rides.
    I haven't put them on yet but this makes logical sense, unfortunately I don't know what else to do

why would new spring help? factory ones will do the same right? and the OP is lowered and his does the same sooooo how would new springs help? haha

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

you could just leave it..

i have heard its possible GM designed Fbodies to havea slight lean toward the passenger side because then when you sit in the car (drivers seat) then its flat/even?

not sure if its true tho.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Ok well after one F***ing insane shoulder workout with the decompression tool and a whole lot of cursing I finally got them in. The boosters brought the car up a little less than a quarter of an inch on the passenger side, successfully closing almost all of the gap. There's still about a 1 cm difference but it's better than before. So I guess this will have to do until I figure out exactly what I have to adjust mechanically to fix this permanently.

Here's an interesting side note, when I first tried out the decompression tool on a set of springs on a regular sedan(a grand am) the springs opened up immediately and I would've had no problem putting in the boosters if I had wanted to. But with these aftermarket springs on the camaro it took an absolute ass beating to get the spring to even give 1.5-2 inches.

Here's an interesting side note, when I first tried out the decompression tool on a set of springs on a regular sedan(a grand am) the springs opened up immediately and I would've had no problem putting in the boosters if I had wanted to. But with these aftermarket springs on the camaro it took an absolute ass beating to get the spring to even give 1.5-2 inches.
    aftermarket have higher spring rates b/c they are lower aka they give less....its like that for all stock and lowering springs that i have worked on

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    aftermarket have higher spring rates b/c they are lower aka they give less....its like that for all stock and lowering springs that i have worked on
    I had no doubt about that before I started but I didn't think the difference would've been so drastic.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

After searching around for a permanent solution I found a sales rep for BMR on LS1tech who made the only intelligent response I've been able to find regarding F-Body lean. I think this pretty much sums it all up.

The F-Body lean is a by-product of a PHR equipped car. The purpose of a PHR is to centrally locate the rear in the chassis but there are variances in chassis dimensions from car-to-car. Combine these variances with a fixed length PHR and you get varied ride heights and mis-matched side-to-side heights. If this does not make sense to you then consider the following: Remove the PHR completely and you will see that the car will level out. This is because everything shifts to it's natural resting spot on the springs. This is where the suspension "wants to be". Unfortunately, this position is rarely center. Installing an adjustable PHR will properly center the rear however you also get a jacking effect as the PHR pulls the body over, rocking the springs on their seats. This is just the nature of a PHR. Watts links do not have this issue.

Winston Cup guys use PHR's too and compensate by adjusting individual spring heights after every PHR adjustment.

Sooo, I've decided to pick up an adjustable PHR from BMR, I'll post results once I get it on
    Last edited by LeadFarmer; 04-07-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

After searching around for a permanent solution I found a sales rep for BMR on LS1tech who made the only intelligent response I've been able to find regarding F-Body lean. I think this pretty much sums it all up.

The F-Body lean is a by-product of a PHR equipped car. The purpose of a PHR is to centrally locate the rear in the chassis but there are variances in chassis dimensions from car-to-car. Combine these variances with a fixed length PHR and you get varied ride heights and mis-matched side-to-side heights. If this does not make sense to you then consider the following: Remove the PHR completely and you will see that the car will level out. This is because everything shifts to it's natural resting spot on the springs. This is where the suspension "wants to be". Unfortunately, this position is rarely center. Installing an adjustable PHR will properly center the rear however you also get a jacking effect as the PHR pulls the body over, rocking the springs on their seats. This is just the nature of a PHR. Watts links do not have this issue.

Winston Cup guys use PHR's too and compensate by adjusting individual spring heights after every PHR adjustment.

Sooo, I've decided to pick up an adjustable PHR from BMR, I'll post results once I get it on
    Good info never really thought about that.. fyi though the passenger side will still sit lower w/ an adjustable PHB

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by nichoLaS1 View Post
    Good info never really thought about that.. fyi though the passenger side will still sit lower w/ an adjustable PHB
    I really hope not, seeing as how I just bought one thinking it would fix my problem.
    How do you figure that? Are you getting lean even with an adjustable phb?

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

I really hope not, seeing as how I just bought one thinking it would fix my problem.
    How do you figure that? Are you getting lean even with an adjustable phb?
    I thought you said it in your last post: "Installing an adjustable PHR will properly center the rear however you also get a jacking effect as the PHR pulls the body over, rocking the springs on their seats. This is just the nature of a PHR. Watts links do not have this issue.

You may be able to compensate for some of the variation by having your rear slightly off center, although I'm not sure if thats the wisest approach.
    Mines lowered with an adjustable PH and the passenger side is still lower. Every car will be different, but the majority of them will still lean some. Either way an adjustable PHB is still a good purchase, even with a stock setup so dont be disappointed at your purchase or anything

FL: 26"
    FR: 25 5/8"

RL: 27"
    RR: 26 7/8"
    Last edited by ntimid8r; 04-08-2011 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Removed link to other website

2001 WS6 | Sunset Orange Metallic | M6 | SLP Lid | SLP Loudmoth | Koni 4/3 | Strano Springs
    UMI Subframe Connectors | UMI On-Car Adjustable PHB | UMI Short Stick | 5000k HIDs | much much more to come...

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by nichoLaS1 View Post
    I thought you said it in your last post: "Installing an adjustable PHR will properly center the rear however you also get a jacking effect as the PHR pulls the body over, rocking the springs on their seats. This is just the nature of a PHR. Watts links do not have this issue.

You may be able to compensate for some of the variation by having your rear slightly off center, although I'm not sure if thats the wisest approach.
    Mines lowered with an adjustable PH and the passenger side is still lower. Every car will be different, but the majority of them will still lean some. Either way an adjustable PHB is still a good purchase, even with a stock setup so dont be disappointed at your purchase or anything

FL: 26"
    FR: 25 5/8"

RL: 27"
    RR: 26 7/8"
    ah ok, well as long as it makes it a little better, that's all I can really ask for I guess.
    BTW you've got one siiick bird there, A SOM WS6 w/black rims is my dream car-one day, hopefully, I'll find one for sale around here
    Last edited by ntimid8r; 04-08-2011 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Removed link from quoted post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information