Thread: Loud creaking

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Loud creaking

Hi guys, I'm sure this has been discussed before, and probably several times, but in my quick look, I don't think I found what I was looking for. I'll try to make this long story short...

I dropped my '01 SS with my older bro for some maintenance work around April '09. I just got it back in May '11 (long story). He did all the maintenance stuff and also replaced the upper control arm bushings on both sides because the old ones were in bad shape (he's a reputable mechanic in his area, so I trust his work). Driving the car back home (6 hours), I heard no noises. About 2-3 weeks ago, I noticed a loud creaking (that's best way I can describe it) coming from the front passenger side. The creaking was pretty obvious with the windows down or up, driving in a straight line or on curves/turns, going 30 or 80 mph although not as loud at hwy speeds, braking and starting from stop. The weird part is that it doesn't creak right away. If the car has been still for a while (an hour or more it seems), it will not start creaking until I've gone about 10 miles or so...maybe more, but it usually starts creaking halfway to work and I drive a little over 20 miles to work.

Where should I start to diagnose this problem? Where should I look? I know a lot of you guys here are gear heads, but I'm not the most knowledgeable person in that area (older bro is the mechanic of the family, I'm the money guy, middle bro is the everything else guy) so please keep it simple. Could it be my shocks? They haven't been replaced yet and I just passed 100k miles. Do the bushings need to be lubed? Any help/suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I forgot to mention one more thing. I took a 100 mile round-trip drive this past weekend and noticed a similar noise coming from the rear driver's side (possibly the passenger side too) as well as the creaking from the front. It's not as loud, but it's definitely there. Not sure how much that helps anyone understand what's going on with the car.

Thanks again

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

my first guess would be bushings need to be lubed, but that's just a guess. if you carefully push up and down on each corner of the car
    (1 at a time obviously) can you reproduce the noise in your driveway? If so that's a great way to narrow down, if not identify the noise.

Depending on your comfort level and mechanical skill if you drive the front of the car up on ramps (not jack stands because you need the suspension to be holding the car) and have a buddy carefully push up and down on the fender while you're under it, it's usually pretty easy to find the squeak. If it's a bushing take it apart, lube it up, reassemble, retest by pushing up and down on fender. If it's something else take it from there. Obviously put the back of the car on the ramps to test the rear.

A bad shock/strut usually sprays oil all over itself and the spring if you look at it from under the car or with the wheel off, and is noticeable by the car bouncing after you hit a bump.

Thread Information