Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Koni/Strano: what a difference!

I just put my koni 4/3's and strano springs in on Monday and i have to say what world of difference. Ride comfort improved dramatically along with handling. Huge improvement in body roll or lack there of i should say. I probably noticed a bigger difference due to the fact that my car was already lowered when i bought it but they still used the stock shocks.

I definately suggest this combo if you can afford it, one of the best mods i've done to the car so far.

If your changing out struts yourself i suggest just taking them off and having a shop compress them and switch all of the stuff over to the new instead of struggling with some cheap spring compressor, also you'll need an impact to get the top nut off cause it'll be rusted on.
    Last edited by sfletch2000; 03-19-2008 at 09:09 AM.

White Liquid Silver
    2000 Camaro SS/ 02 YZF-R1

Nice! That makes my decision sooo much easier! It's tough to spend that much and not know for sure the end results...Thanks

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

awesome to hear! post some pics of the new stance!

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Got my Swaybars and Springs from Sam last week waiting a couple weeks to get the Koni's. I will definetly post my assesment and before and after pics when all is done.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

I'll get some pics up some time this week

i guess im gunna have to break down and buy some

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Here's a pick of how the drop looks, shitty quality cause it was on my camera phone, didn't feel like take out the real camera

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...0/03202008.jpg

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by sfletch2000 View Post
    Here's a pick of how the drop looks, shitty quality cause it was on my camera phone, didn't feel like take out the real camera

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...0/03202008.jpg
    looks pretty damn good !!!

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

ok are konis for me if i want a better ride, a bit better handling? but will they hurt or help track times?

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    ok are konis for me if i want a better ride, a bit better handling? but will they hurt or help track times?
    Both. Good dampers aren't only good at one thing. Do BMW's handle well? Yep. Do they ride badly? Nope. German cars in general are like that, and they have the best damping to come from OEM's.

Help or hurt track times? Can't know. Depends how hard the car leaves, how much of a drag setup you have, where you run the Koni's. Generally it's no change. Though we have had some folks 60' quicker on Koni's than on "drag shocks". You can have too much of a good thing (if crazy fast weight transfer is really good). If the car transfers weight too fast, you can bog the car and that doesn't help.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

White
    2001 Z28

I just put my koni 4/3's and strano springs in on Monday and i have to say what world of difference. Ride comfort improved dramatically along with handling. Huge improvement in body roll or lack there of i should say. I probably noticed a bigger difference due to the fact that my car was already lowered when i bought it but they still used the stock shocks.

I definately suggest this combo if you can afford it, one of the best mods i've done to the car so far.

As always, I appreciate you taking the time to post your results. I'm thrilled to hear you are happy with the results. And there is nothing better when an un-biased person (read, not me and not a person who's been a previous customer) steps up and says things like "Ride comfort improved dramatically along with handling. Huge improvement in body roll or lack there of" and "I definately suggest this combo if you can afford it, one of the best mods i've done to the car so far."

If you need anything else, or have questions you know where to find me. Have a good one.

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

No problem Sam, thanks for the help

pewter
    2002 Tans am WS6 M6

Hey Sam what do you think of just adding the lowering springs to car (WS6) without changing the shocks?
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Richy_Rich67 View Post
    Hey Sam what do you think of just adding the lowering springs to car (WS6) without changing the shocks?
    if anything, do the opposite... change shocks and keep stock springs.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

how much $ is this setup?

86 Buick Grand National
    02 WS6-M6 407 RWHP

Like 780 for the shocks, and 275 for strano's lowering springs.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Richy_Rich67 View Post
    You can... but I can't recommended that plan if you are trying for a quality ride/handling car. Shocks are, in fact, dampers (both of the springs and the mass of the car) and by definition when the spring rate and travel changes, so should the damping. Add to that the fact the stock shocks are a bit messed up in damping to start with with the taller and softer springs.

Now that said--my springs aren't going to work any worse than say a set of Eibach's if you put them on with stock shocks. Anyone who says their springs are fine for stock shocks isn't telling the whole story. Yes, you can do it. Just yesterday I got a note from a guy who did and here's part of the note: "It does not ride any worse than it did with my stock springs and shocks and the car feels great. Im a very pleased customer, just wanted to give you some positive feedback on your product!".

The key is the fact it doesn't ride any worse than it did. That's because the shocks are what cause most of a bad ride.

I'd love to sell you some springs, so I'm not trying to talk you out of this.... just making sure my cards are on the table so when the day comes (and it will) that someone screams about my springs on stock shocks, I'm on record with my thoughts.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    You can... but I can't recommended that plan if you are trying for a quality ride/handling car. Shocks are, in fact, dampers (both of the springs and the mass of the car) and by definition when the spring rate and travel changes, so should the damping. Add to that the fact the stock shocks are a bit messed up in damping to start with with the taller and softer springs.

Now that said--my springs aren't going to work any worse than say a set of Eibach's if you put them on with stock shocks. Anyone who says their springs are fine for stock shocks isn't telling the whole story. Yes, you can do it. Just yesterday I got a note from a guy who did and here's part of the note: "It does not ride any worse than it did with my stock springs and shocks and the car feels great. Im a very pleased customer, just wanted to give you some positive feedback on your product!".

The key is the fact it doesn't ride any worse than it did. That's because the shocks are what cause most of a bad ride.

I'd love to sell you some springs, so I'm not trying to talk you out of this.... just making sure my cards are on the table so when the day comes (and it will) that someone screams about my springs on stock shocks, I'm on record with my thoughts.
    And that's why sam is a great sponsor.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Like 780 for the shocks, and 275 for strano's lowering springs.
    Damn thats some good loot. I dont know much about shocks, but i'm assuming those koni's are adjustable?? I'll probably lower my car next year and i'll keep those brands in mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information