Koni SA blown out? Keeps turning!

This is a discussion on Koni SA blown out? Keeps turning! within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; When I first installed these 3 yrs ago I thought these stopped when it reached full soft/hard.The drivers side spins ...

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

Koni SA blown out? Keeps turning!

When I first installed these 3 yrs ago I thought these stopped when it reached full soft/hard.The drivers side spins forever w/out stopping. Am I missing something or is it time to ship them to Koni for their lifetime warranty. That will suck since its my DD so Ill have to buy a cheapie to get me through.
    Any advice on how to set these up would be cool too.
    Last edited by sic2001; 08-20-2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: incorrect info
    GMPP LS6 crate motor,racetronix,Wilwood 6 piston,HID's,200mph speedo,full dynomat, GY F1's,17" Y2K, Alpine audio upgrade,3" ele cutout, LT's, catted-Y, full suspension

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Interesting. I was about to buy a set of Koni SAs. How often have you adjusted them?

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

I only adjusted them when I first put them on the car, but only the left side is doing it so something is definatly up. The rears are full soft ( changed to 1/2 soft now) and now Im 4 turns from Hard on the front DS but the Pass side just keeps spinning.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Did you adjust them with a load on the shock? Something is definnitly up with them. Send em back. My DA's actually get harder to turn when they reach the end.

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

actually no, I adjusted them with the tire off and sus. hanging. Butit was like that on the other side and it stopped spinning. So I am going to contact Koni and make sure this is an overnight thing as far as shipping goes so Im not driving the wifes car too long. I bought them fron Jegs so I have a copy of the purchase so Ill send a copy w/the shock,.....so yeah spinning freely=busted

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by sic2001 View Post
    actually no, I adjusted them with the tire off and sus. hanging. Butit was like that on the other side and it stopped spinning. So I am going to contact Koni and make sure this is an overnight thing as far as shipping goes so Im not driving the wifes car too long. I bought them fron Jegs so I have a copy of the purchase so Ill send a copy w/the shock,.....so yeah spinning freely=busted
    I very much doubt Koni will pay any shipping except back to you..

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    Interesting. I was about to buy a set of Koni SAs. How often have you adjusted them?
    Why is it when someone breaks something, with no other detail about the car (like what springs, etc.) are being used.... For instance in this case I have no idea if the springs are too short, too soft, if the shocks are being run in a lower perch w/lowering springs, etc. Now, stuff can break even if nothing is "wrong", and Koni is very good about warranty stuff it stupidity is not a cause.

But I find it scary what one person breaks something and it starts a ripple effect. Show me any brand shock, and more than one will have broken. Fact is Koni's break rarely, and when they do have an excellent warranty--better than any other company I deal with.

Koni's need to be setup correctly, which isn't hard if you know what you are doing. Frankly their instructions suck, which is why I spend time with all my customers when the shocks arrive to go over such details.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

I agree Sam. I hope my post didnt give the wrong impression. I have been running these with DMS springs set on the upper perch clip. They lasted a LONG time (2 1/2 yrs) for the cars extreme low ride height. I am assuming that that falls into their warranty guidelines but if not Ill pay for a new one.
    Last edited by sic2001; 09-14-2008 at 10:31 PM.

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

"Koni's need to be setup correctly, which isn't hard if you know what you are doing. Frankly their instructions suck, which is why I spend time with all my customers when the shocks arrive to go over such details." -Sam Strano

Everything Ive read says every car is different so its hard to find the "One true way" to set them up. The best info I found was to find a decent change in pavement and to run over it at a good clip 40-50 and see how the shocks dampen. I tightened up the rears for the understeer I was getting on right turns as well. I know theres limits with the springs Im running so Im thinking about a GC kit and get the tool.
    Last edited by sic2001; 08-20-2008 at 08:17 PM.

navy blue metallic
    2001 trans am

Well KONI sent out my replacement strut after faxing them all my info and receipt. They shipped to me at thier cost and I sent them the broken one after getting the new one installed and shipped it back the cheapest I could find (less than 15.00) The guy I talked to at Koni was great, and even if it was my fault the shock failed, the replacement strut would have only been 160.00 to purchase due to core return.
    I also went with Strano springs in the front and kept my DMS springs in the rear. I may not be able to get a warranty next time though since I put the fronts on the lower perch. I dont mind though since the look is beyond cool and it handles awesome. I did have to do ALOT of work to get it right,2 alignments, adjusted sway bar links, bump steer kit, repositioning of my ele. cutout as well as the catted Y for clearance.
    I hardly ever scrape on driveways or bumps anymore and I am throughly impressed with Stranos springs.
    I sit at 25" in the front and between 25 1/2-25 3/4 in the rears from wheel well to ground. I understand why Koni would want Sam to discourage the lower perch position since the limited travel is hard on the struts and make them ore prone to failure.
    However, if you just accept that every 3-4 yrs you have to come out of pocket with 340.00 or so its well worth it in stance and handling. I just can not believe how smooth the ride is, a good size bump doesn't jar you or break my back but it is rough...without being harsh.
    Im very happy, THANKS SAM for the advice and great product!

Thread Information