blue
    1998 TA

Koni sa adjustment?

I just purchased front and rear koni sa's. I also purchased Vogtland Springs. Now I am trying to figure out the best setting on my konis. My car will be driven 99% on the streets. I live in NJ where every road has potholes the size of the grand canyon. I want a setting that will provide me with the best handling possible without sending me out of control when I hit a pothole. I am not interested in drag settings. Anny help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

stiffest = 0
    softest = 3

I have hit a pothole on setting 1 and i thought my car fell to the middle of the earth. I suggest 2 or 3 for you.

let me know how it rides on those vogtland springs, man...i want to lower mine and don't know what' a good set up. did you get your shit from hotpart?

blue
    1998 TA

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    stiffest = 0
    softest = 3

I have hit a pothole on setting 1 and i thought my car fell to the middle of the earth. I suggest 2 or 3 for you.

let me know how it rides on those vogtland springs, man...i want to lower mine and don't know what' a good set up. did you get your shit from hotpart?
    Yea, I got everything on hotpart. The vogtland's look like they are awesome quality and I likked their spring rates. I will give a review once everything is installed. Thanks for the input.

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

Which generation of Konis did you get? The most recent has the adjust on the top with an allen key and like 20 different settings. The 3rd generation (Koni generation not F-Body) you have to depress a release on the shock body and only has like 4 or 5 positions. If 4th generation shocks I would suggest 4 sweeps off of full firm/hard if third generation then one click off of full hard.

sunset orange
    02 SS M6

On the front I did 4.5 from full firm. I really cant comkplain about the ride. I have hotchkis though. the vogtlands are a lil stiffer
    05 HEMI Ram, 96 Eclipse GST, 02 SS.

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ErikElvis View Post
    On the front I did 4.5 from full firm. I really cant comkplain about the ride. I have hotchkis though. the vogtlands are a lil stiffer
    Cool, I like the way you went! Did you get pictures of how it looks now?

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

what are the spring rates on those ?
    just a note that common mistake that ppl make is putting the settings too stiff... remember that the shock goal is to dampen the movement of the spring... you put too much damping, you're impeding the spring to do its work... ie, overdamping the system... underdamping is bad, cause there is no control.
    start @ soft and work your way up.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

sunset orange
    02 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    Cool, I like the way you went! Did you get pictures of how it looks now?
    Didnt get pics yet. Hope to this weekend. I like it. Its a suttle drop.

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    what are the spring rates on those ?
    Front rates are 440-542# and the rear are 183-228#.

Hey Eugenio_SS, I'm not trying to hyjack this thread but, IS there a rule of thumb on settings for your shock depending on springrates? For instance The higher the rate the more compression/rebound is necesary or viceversa. Also the settings in the front will affect what setting you want in the back in addition to the rear springrate. Like I usually hear guys say if you add compression in the front you may want to take some rebound in the back. Is any of this based on facts, I know there are many other variables to consider I'm just wondering about getting some basic starting points that will help guys (including me) adjusting their setups without just blindly changing things until you find a spot that you like or think it works. I find that driving around the streets is more forgiving with having the wrong settings than in the track or autox course where I may find that the car is too twitchy during quick transitions or I'm getting too much understeer.
    Last edited by Killer_bluebird; 09-30-2006 at 09:27 AM.

Bad habbit- Smoking Fords

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Variable rate springs make it difficult to choose a good damping rate. ie: to soft for the upper spring rate is to stiff for the lower spring rate. Straight rate springs make for much more exact shock settings. I would suggest you go full soft to two turns off full soft in the front and one turn from full soft in the rear for your spring rates.
    2001 SS - 430 RWHP 412 RWTQ
    6 spd, FIPK, Corsa exhaust, LS7 clutch, Dart Pro PP LS1 heads, custom 220/224 cam, Kooks LT's. Ported TB, Full suspension, C5 ZO6 brake upgrade.

triple-black

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_bluebird View Post
    Front rates are 440-542# and the rear are 183-228#.

Hey Eugenio_SS, I'm not trying to hyjack this thread but, IS there a rule of thumb on settings for your shock depending on springrates? For instance The higher the rate the more compression/rebound is necesary or viceversa. Also the settings in the front will affect what setting you want in the back in addition to the rear springrate. Like I usually hear guys say if you add compression in the front you may want to take some rebound in the back. Is any of this based on facts, I know there are many other variables to consider I'm just wondering about getting some basic starting points that will help guys (including me) adjusting their setups without just blindly changing things until you find a spot that you like or think it works. I find that driving around the streets is more forgiving with having the wrong settings than in the track or autox course where I may find that the car is too twitchy during quick transitions or I'm getting too much understeer.
    yeah there is some... the shocks are meant to support spring rates upto 600... so that would imply the stiffest.
    I'd give it a try @ 3-4 from the stiffest location.

triple-black

as for the rears, i'd try something like 2 from the full soft... @ most, 3.

Thread Information