Killer Wheel Hop

This is a discussion on Killer Wheel Hop within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Took my car to the track for the first time. It's got LT's/ORY, Lid, catback for go fast mods. Has ...

Red
    2000 SS

Killer Wheel Hop

Took my car to the track for the first time. It's got LT's/ORY, Lid, catback for go fast mods. Has only 13k miles on it as well. Anyway, I am getting some mad wheel hop. I have owned three other Fbods (95 Z and a 99 Z) and neither of them had wheel hop. When my SS was stock it wouldn't turn the tires over really on a rolling punch in first. Now it will but it hops violently. It freaked me out at the track. I thought the rear end was going to fall out. It was a loud banging/clunking sound. It did it on take off and the 1-2, 2-3 shifts. Will relocation brackets solve this? I was also thinking about LCA's. I was thinking about getting UMI pieces as well. I just want the hop gone before it kills the rear. It even does it on the street. I am on the stock Goodyear Eagle F1's too. They seem to hook good but hop. Any help is greatly appreciated.

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

Get some LCA's and relo brackets. That fixed my wheel hop. Also would recommend SFC's, panhard, and possibly the brace between the trans and the rear end, cant think of the name of it right now.

Red
    2000 SS

Yeah I think I decided on getting some LCA's and relocation brackets. Are the adjustable LCA's worth it? I will probably get UMI pieces as well.

2000 SS M6 #5445 - 13k miles
    SLP Lid, Pacesetter LT's/ORY, SLP dual/dual catback, QTP cutout, Hurst w/ WS6 store SS

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Actually the aftermarket part that cured my wheel hop issues was an adjustable torque arm (the stock tail shaft location).

I bought mine directly from Ryan from UMI:

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

rear shocks will solve the issue.
    relo-brackets will help.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Red
    2000 SS

What shocks do you suggest I go with? Thanks for all the help guys.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

shocks depend on your springs, and full setup.
    what mods have you done to the car ?
    are you using stock TA ?
    If using all stock suspension parts, I recommend you go w/ Bilstein HD.

Red
    2000 SS

Suspension is all stock. Other mods are in my sig. Just a few bolt-ons.

Lately is has been pretty cool here in Iowa. I noticed that when my suspension in the back loads it squeks. Like when I go over a small bump or something. I can push down onthe spolier and get the rear to squeak as well. Cold the cold weather be causing my rear suspension to squeak? Any ideas what that could be if it's not do to the weather. I did not notice it at all when the weather was warmer. Thanks for all the help.

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

I had the same problem in my trans am. When the temperature dropped below freezing too much throttle would cause some violent wheel hop. I think new shocks would have helped my problem, i had 85,000 on the original.

White
    '04 Mustang Cobra

Won't stickier tires help the problem? They sure help with IRS Cobras.
    '01 BMW 330ci: Race it in a modified class in BMW CCA Club Racing and NASA endurance races.
    '04 Lincoln LS V8 Sport: Stock.
    '04 Mustang Cobra coupe (white/gray): Modified.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

I get that same squeaking noise when i go over bumps or when i push down on the spoiler...i just installed the strano springs and shocks on monday and the squeak is still there...could it be some bushings?? i'm clueless as to what could be squeaking...all i know is that its annoying as hell!!

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

most likely a worn burshing

Quote Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28 View Post
    Took my car to the track for the first time. It's got LT's/ORY, Lid, catback for go fast mods. Has only 13k miles on it as well. Anyway, I am getting some mad wheel hop. I have owned three other Fbods (95 Z and a 99 Z) and neither of them had wheel hop. When my SS was stock it wouldn't turn the tires over really on a rolling punch in first. Now it will but it hops violently. It freaked me out at the track. I thought the rear end was going to fall out. It was a loud banging/clunking sound. It did it on take off and the 1-2, 2-3 shifts. Will relocation brackets solve this? I was also thinking about LCA's. I was thinking about getting UMI pieces as well. I just want the hop gone before it kills the rear. It even does it on the street. I am on the stock Goodyear Eagle F1's too. They seem to hook good but hop. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    If you haven't solved the problem, look under your car and see if the rear lower control arms appear to be higher at the back joint than the front. If this is the situation then relocation brackets will help you. Although the first thing to be replaced are the arms themselves. Polyurethane bushings or steel heim joints reduce flex where the wheel hop gets the first free movement. Any flex in the arms themselves increase the oscillation. If the hop still happens after these changes then it is time to look at the shocks, spring stiffness, torque arm and subframe connectors. My hop was violent and ready to wreck the 10 bolt and axles. My car only required the relo brackets and control arms to fix it.

Thread Information