Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Inexpensive handling gain

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a reasonably inexpensive solution to up the handling. Reading over posts, it seems like most people go all out when they start into it, but I was looking to start slow. Would just replacing the swaybars be a decent upgrade by itself, or is that like getting an exhaust without remapping the FI? Install University makes it look like a pretty simple installation, and I was looking at the BMR 32/21 bars on Thunder Racing for about $370 total.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Matt

Red
    2002 Chevy Camaro SS LE

Sway bars are a fairly reasonable cost upgrade. What I have read, I recommend and plan on buying Strano sway bars. They are hollow, which is lighter but are also high quality and are designed to work well together. This will have minimal impact on your ride, but should help reduce sway or body roll in the corners. I recommedn giving Sam Strano a call at Strano Performance and talking to him about your car and how you intend to use it. Best of Luck and let us know what you decide and how it works out for you. Take Care.

Red
    2001 Trans Am

panhard bar, strut tower brace, subframe connectors

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I'm running the Strano sway bar set and it really helps out. Better shocks would also give a huge improvement. Put a set of sub frame connectors in it first to make things stiffer. A good set of summer performance tires will give you great gains as well.

So to answer your question you can do sway bars by them selves, but as always suspension is a system that should be balanced. I agree with above, Call Sam Strano and talk to him.

black trans am

yeap sfc #1 then sway bars an toss in a panhard adj ang get a stb after that the car will be 10 better

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

seroiusly, after reading the posts and talking to him; sam strano says the most ECONOMIC way to improve your car is replacing the shocks. And i truely wish i would have listened to him instead of bought part after part after part.

The shocks SUCK ASS on these cars. Instead of spending 1000 on new bars/suspension...get some shocks. either koni or bilstein. Koni if you plan on lowering and want to have an adjustable shock set up. They are about 850 and worth it. Bilstein if you want a nice, firm car at stock ride height
    Last edited by third_shift|studios; 04-18-2008 at 11:52 AM.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I talked to Sam Strano on the phone for like 30 minutes and got similar advice, though he didn't recommend the Bilsteins. He said they used to be a lot higher quality, but they changed them a couple years ago and now they're valved poorly and lower quality, or something like that. Hopefully I'm paraphrasing accurately, but he gave a lot of technical info on shocks to someone who started the conversation with absolutely no knowledge on shocks.

I'd probably have shelled out the $350 for the Bilstein HDs pretty quickly if he thought they were decent, but I'm having to think long and hard before pouring $800 into shocks for a T/A that already has 100k on it.

Matt

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

sam's the man. why spend money and add weight.

His springs are about the best save yourself time and money get a set of his springs & Koni's and a PanHard Bar. you can just go koni's will help tremendously. Then if you want mroe go with his sway bars, ( they are the only hollow ones i have seen unless you go with hotchkiss.. ( sams are $429 shipped I believe))

the sub frame connectors aren't really needed unless you add a LOT of HP then i'd add the torque arm/ relocation first anyway. why add weight in heavier things Solid sway bars, sub frame connectors ( i'd go 3 point if i even did that) and then add on things like STB ... it's all weight which slows you down.

Just what my research has came up with.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

I'd do alignment... that's the cheapest investment for improvement.
    If you budget allows for any part, just get better shocks.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

i noticed my car feels a little stiffer with the sfcs on...i got 2 point and i like the feeling...i have stock shocks, but i do know that shocks are what it takes to get a better feel, ride

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

i did koni's, strano springs, and an adj umi PHR........world of difference.....as already stated id go with just the shocks if your short on cash....u can lower your car .5-.75 of an inch just by putting the spring on a lower perch while installing the koni's......sam will explain how if u buy the koni's from him

Thread Information