Improve Handling?

This is a discussion on Improve Handling? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; After losing control of my car around a sharp turn due to someone cutting me off and slamming on their ...

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

Improve Handling?

After losing control of my car around a sharp turn due to someone cutting me off and slamming on their brakes my car is now broke again, the hood is misaligned body may be also and other things need repair. Anyway after that experience i want my car to be able to handle like a evo or at least come close, so how could i achieve this?
    This is what i'm considering so far:
    sub frame connectors
    bilsteins Shocks
    STB
    Last edited by iceman504; 06-23-2007 at 01:33 PM.

Next Race= WSIR 2/26-27 SIK02SS's Avatar
    Too many

Quote Originally Posted by iceman504 View Post
    After losing control of my car around a sharp turn due to someone cutting me off and slamming on their brakes my car is now broke again, the hood is misaligned body may be also and other things need repair. Anyway after that experience i want my car to be able to handle like a evo or at least come close, so how could i achieve this?
    This is what i'm considering so far:
    sub frame connectors
    bilsteins Shocks
    STB
    if you want to handle like an Evo , then what you've listed isn't going to do diddly.

you need a good working set of springs (such as H&Rs, Stranos, or GC coilovers with 150# rears and 500-600# fronts), good shocks (which in these applications would be Koni S/As), and some good worthwhile sway bars..again, i would recommend Strano's b/c 1) they're hollow and save you weight, 2) they work great and suit our cars performance abilities excellently.

may want to think about upgrading your brakes or at least getting some new pads. these will get you into the ballpark of Evo handling , but in the end its up to the driver to get the car to where its going faster then the other guy..

yes, i know sam isn't a sponsor here, but his parts are good, therefore i'm recommending them.

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

O here we go again....EVO(or STi) vs. F Body.

Here is my prediction on the outcome of this thread:

The end.

Anyway, if you want your car to handle really well, contact anyone of the suspension manufacturers and tell them what are your goals,plans, and preferences for your car. You will be better off than trying to piece together parts by yourself.

Too many

Quote Originally Posted by camarolvr69 View Post
    O here we go again....EVO(or STi) vs. F Body.

Here is my prediction on the outcome of this thread:

The end.

Anyway, if you want your car to handle really well, contact anyone of the suspension manufacturers and tell them what are your goals,plans, and preferences for your car. You will be better off than trying to piece together parts by yourself.

and not necessarily if done right

the way i'll make my SS handle like an Evo, is go buy an Evo in a couple years

but to make it track/canyon worthy i'll do as i mentioned above

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

ok well i already have performance rotors and pads, also have lca's installed as well. and a evo was the thing that ran me off the road.
    I'm not going to give up my Z28 for a Evo i may not be able to handle like one but i can still beat em if we stay straight.
    my goals is I just want enough handling mods to get me out of sticky situations not for racing really

Silver
    1997 camaro z28

Main upgrades would probably be shocks/springs, and swaybars then.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

sorry to hear of your bad luck man.

1. GET SFCs!- Man I love mine. I took this curve yesterday and I wish my friends were in my car with me. I would've scared the shit out of them. My car stuck like glue. Otherwise if I didn't have them on that same curve at the same speed, the car would've felt a lot more uneasy and I wouldn't have had so much confidence in it.

2. TIRES- No one really thinks of tires as a mod, but I do. I'm running Nitto 555s up front because they're good with hydroplaning and grip, and I've got the Kumho MXs in the rear because of the monster grip. I know tires make a big difference because I never spin unless I try to.

3. Lower Control Arms and Relocation brackets- They'll help with rear traction.

4. Lowering Springs- They'll lower your center of gravity and help with cornering. You'll lose some take off(the way I understand it)but you'll be taking corners faster.

5. Sway Bars- They'll help you keep your car flatter in hard turns.

This is just my little list of things for you to look into. Just look up those parts and they'll get you going in the right direction
    Last edited by 7camaro7; 06-24-2007 at 11:23 AM. Reason: corrections

Too many

Quote Originally Posted by 7camaro7 View Post
    sorry to hear of your bad luck man.

1. GET SFCs!- Man I love mine. I took this curve yesterday and I wish my friends were in my car with me. I would've scared the shit out of them. My car stuck like glue. Otherwise if I didn't have them on that same curve at the same speed, the car would've felt a lot more uneasy and I wouldn't have had so much confidence in it.

2. TIRES- No one really thinks of tires as a mod, but I do. I'm running Nitto 555s up front because they're good with hydroplaning and grip, and I've got the Kumho MXs in the rear because of the monster grip. I know tires make a big difference because I never spin unless I try to.

3. Lower Control Arms and Relocation brackets- They'll help with rear traction.

4. Lowering Springs- They'll lower your center of gravity and help with cornering. You'll lose some take off(the way I understand it)but you'll be taking corners faster.

5. Sway Bars- They'll help you keep your car flatter in hard turns.

This is just my little list of things for you to look into. Just look up those parts and they'll get you going in the right direction

i don't want to sound like a dick; but your car didn't grip through the turn hard b/c of SFCs, and not every lowering spring is created equal. there is a difference between 'lowering springs' and performance springs. its like the law of diminishing marginal utility: you can lower your car so much and get a performance gain (assuming the spring rates are right), but once you get to a certain level of lowness (sometimes pro-kits, and all sportlines/zenns/dms), it actually hurts your handling performance b/c of the height..

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

wait i thought 7camaro said his car stuck like glue on the turn, SIK u sure u read that right?
    Yea i also have performance tires and lca's. not sure if i have Relocation brackets though.
    I believe the brakes locked up when i hit them but it all happened so fast so i don't know. maybe I just gotta learn how to brake correctly around corners in emergencies i guess.

Too many

wait i thought 7camaro said his car stuck like glue on the turn, SIK u sure u read that right?
    Yea i also have performance tires and lca's. not sure if i have Relocation brackets though.
    I believe the brakes locked up when i hit them but it all happened so fast so i don't know. maybe I just gotta learn how to brake correctly around corners in emergencies i guess.

ya, i read it right. he said get SFCs, his car stuck like glue through the turn with them. SFCs won't make your car 'stick like glue' through a corner.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SIK02SS View Post
    ya, i read it right. he said get SFCs, his car stuck like glue through the turn with them. SFCs won't make your car 'stick like glue' through a corner.

I agree...

If anything it's the tires that made the most out of the cornering...

THE best two most valuable parts you will buy for a great handler is:

Shocks.

Tires.

And when I mean shocks, I DO NOT mean Tokiko's, or Bilstein HD's or Monroe Sensatracs or AGX, I'm talking about either revalved Bilsteins that match your aftermarket springs or the Koni SA shocks, you'll pay a pretty penny but BOY you will see a HUGE difference in the way your f-body takes the corners...

Any Evo owner out there wants to run me in the twisties, I'll be your huckleberry.

and hey iceman, hard braking in the middle of a turn is not a good thing.

Great shocks, better brake pads & steel braided lines and good quality brake fluid and you're good to go.

An f-body with a great suspension setup does NOT need SFC's or STB's...

My .02
    The Black 2001 SS #5697
    T-tops, 6-spd/B&M ripper, ARH LT's/GMMG/CME, Volant, Koni DA's & GC coilovers, Strano frt & rear sways, G2(SFC's w/v-braces, STB, adj PHR), Wilwood 6-piston red calipers frnt brakes w/13" 2-pc rotors, RKSport(clear front & rear corners, c-f grill), chrome Z06 wheels

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

good info, and i concur about the sub frame connectors, but i think what 7camaro7 is trying to convey is that his car feels tighter with the sfc's on, which is true. they serve more of a purpose in hard accleration so the sub frame doesnt twist and mis align body panels and all that jazz. if you need evidence of what drag racing does to an untied sub frame you can reference my trunk lid anytime.....

sway bars, springs, and i come from the school that says that tires may be the single most important thing in handling and OH MY GOD...braking.
    oh great intentions, ive got the best of interventions...

Missouri and Central IL members come in!!!!!
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f26/missouri-muscle-central-il-come-48861/

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    good info, and i concur about the sub frame connectors, but i think what 7camaro7 is trying to convey is that his car feels tighter with the sfc's on, which is true. they serve more of a purpose in hard accleration so the sub frame doesnt twist and mis align body panels and all that jazz. if you need evidence of what drag racing does to an untied sub frame you can reference my trunk lid anytime.....

sway bars, springs, and i come from the school that says that tires may be the single most important thing in handling and OH MY GOD...braking.

RE: SFC's, more for 1/4 mile applications, not necessary for a great corner carver.

I do agree with the swaybars though...

Springs, well, that depends on the budget of the individual. I've heard of f-bodies with factory springs and Koni SA's that ROCK in the auto-X races true story!

But I went with the GC coilover setup, and even then they wouldn't be at their best if it weren't for the Koni's.

Black
    2001 Z28 Camaro

yea i had to find out the hard way hard braking in a turn is not a good idea but if i would of just turned the wheel i probably would of hit the wall.
    Koni Sa's on the front and rear right and i can just keep the factory springs on until i can buy some different one's

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

yea i had to find out the hard way hard braking in a turn is not a good idea but if i would of just turned the wheel i probably would of hit the wall.
    Koni Sa's on the front and rear right and i can just keep the factory springs on until i can buy some different one's
    Absolutely!

That's the best thing about Koni's...You can adjust based on what springs you have...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos01SS View Post
    ... And when I mean shocks, I DO NOT mean Tokiko's, or Bilstein HD's or Monroe Sensatracs or AGX, I'm talking about either revalved Bilsteins that match your aftermarket springs or the Koni SA shocks, ...
    Re: Koni SA shocks, what does the "SA" mean? While looking for Konis, I see two types; (1) "Twin Tube Low Pressure External Adjustable Sport Shocks," and (2) "Twin Tube Low Pressure Gas Double Adjustable Sport Shocks."

I'm looking to replace the shocks on my 2000 SS, so any help is greatly appreciated. I was considering Bilstein HD, but now.....?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

I see, from looking at another site, it must mean "Single Adjustable," right?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    I see, from looking at another site, it must mean "Single Adjustable," right?

Correct.

Single adjustables are more street application, however lots of auto-Xers use this shock, the DA's(Double Adjstble) are overkill for street purposes...

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Quote Originally Posted by SIK02SS View Post
    i don't want to sound like a dick; but your car didn't grip through the turn hard b/c of SFCs, and not every lowering spring is created equal. there is a difference between 'lowering springs' and performance springs. its like the law of diminishing marginal utility: you can lower your car so much and get a performance gain (assuming the spring rates are right), but once you get to a certain level of lowness (sometimes pro-kits, and all sportlines/zenns/dms), it actually hurts your handling performance b/c of the height..
    I agree...

My car does handle better due to the sfc's though. That's what they're made for. They do offer the advantage of keeping the car from sagging so fast and things like that but they also keep the car stiffer in hard, fast curves. I know I feel a difference. Through some turns at high speeds you can sometimes feel the rear trying to jump out. With sfc's it keeps the car's unibody tight and makes the car feel like it has much more control.

Here in chattanooga there are some VERY windy roads and when I had my v6 and no sfc's I actually felt the front twist one way and the rear twist the other. That was the scariest thing I felt in a car.

As far as the springs go. When and if I say lowering springs, I never EVER mean just the kind for appearance only. I meant performance oriented springs. I plan on lowering mine but only to something like an eibach pro kit. Sportlines probably wouldn't be good for a car that likes to drag every now and then.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

sorry to hear about it.
    You can make our cars handle very well.
    1st... any mods to your car ?
    list of things that is a must:
    get car fixed.
    get shocks that dampen well the springs you have
    get swaybars that complement the spring rates so that car handling is neutral.
    get alignment to get the most from the car
    get tires that grip, and meet your needs.

Everything else is a goodie, but not necessarily helping you reach your goals.
    Start by telling us exactly what your car has

I can bet that your LCA are polyurethane bushings... if that's the case, get rid of them and put the stock ones back... you'll get WAY better cornering because of the binding caused on the polyurethane ones.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Thread Information