Thread: I need help!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #1469

I need help!

So every since I put some new TOYO's on my car it feels "sloppy" the only way I can describe it is if im going down the freeway and jerk the wheel left and right it almost feels like the frame slides across the axle! It just started with these tires, So Im wondering what is going to help me more SFC, or Swaybars? Also what is the stock swaybars on our cars? I got a 01 SS with LCA's, Lowered, panhard bar and strut bar. I really need to do something about this sloppyness!!

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by Teknik_SS View Post
    So every since I put some new TOYO's on my car it feels "sloppy" the only way I can describe it is if im going down the freeway and jerk the wheel left and right it almost feels like the frame slides across the axle! It just started with these tires, So Im wondering what is going to help me more SFC, or Swaybars? Also what is the stock swaybars on our cars? I got a 01 SS with LCA's, Lowered, panhard bar and strut bar. I really need to do something about this sloppyness!!
    just a stab in the dark here, but if it feels sloppy after putting those tires on, don't you think it's the tires making it feel like that? i assume you didn't have that same tire before. if the car drives shitty with them, you can upgrade the suspension all you want but you're not going to fix it as long as they are on there.
    proper air pressure? different size than before?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #1469

Thats the thing is they are the same size as my last ones, only difference is i went from yokohama to toyo.

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

Chances are the sidewalls are softer which is giving you the extra play. What pressure are you running the tires at? May want to add a few pounds to stiffen them up.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #1469

Im not sure what they put in them. I just thought the TOYO proxces4 (not sure how its spelled) Were a great tire? Ill check the pressure tomorrow. As for swaybars what size should I go with? I noticed there are alot of sizes. Are our stock 30mm?

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Did they align it? how long had it been since your last one? How many miles on the car? last time tie rods were checked?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #1469

I just got it align about 3 weeks ago before the tires. She has 56k on her. Its just weird that its so sloppy with $925 tires.... but it rides alot better and does not pull alot! I have wider then stock wheels I think 9.5 on 275/40/17 with the yoko tires it pulled in every rutt in the road!

White
    2001 Z28

SFC's won't help you. These tires are softer construction. You can try more air to up the spring rate of the tire some, but it'll have limited effect and will eventually hurt the ride and the traction. Swaybars would help you, because they add wheel rate when you lean on the car. The car will become more crisp, more responsive, roll less too. Suspensions aren't just one part, or two, but a collection of things that work together--even tires!

I personally feel that 35mm front/22mm rears are the best balance. There are only two bars that size, UMI and Strano. Strano bars are both hollow and as such save about 20 pounds of weight vs. a set of solid bars like UMI's. Also I use very different hardware, and the bars are bend differently to make sure we clear things like convertible K-member braces and tie-rod ends. FWIW, the stock front bar is 30mm on a Z28 or Formula, or TA that is not WS6. SS/WS6's got 32mm (and all the stock front bars are also hollow).
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #1469

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    SFC's won't help you. These tires are softer construction. You can try more air to up the spring rate of the tire some, but it'll have limited effect and will eventually hurt the ride and the traction. Swaybars would help you, because they add wheel rate when you lean on the car. The car will become more crisp, more responsive, roll less too. Suspensions aren't just one part, or two, but a collection of things that work together--even tires!

I personally feel that 35mm front/22mm rears are the best balance. There are only two bars that size, UMI and Strano. Strano bars are both hollow and as such save about 20 pounds of weight vs. a set of solid bars like UMI's. Also I use very different hardware, and the bars are bend differently to make sure we clear things like convertible K-member braces and tie-rod ends. FWIW, the stock front bar is 30mm on a Z28 or Formula, or TA that is not WS6. SS/WS6's got 32mm (and all the stock front bars are also hollow).
    So is it just a weight difference on the sizes? What happens if you get a really big ones?

White
    2001 Z28

Well, you make the car heavier for no real reason. You add unsprung weight which makes the rear axle more clunky when hitting bumps. You still get the roll stiffness increases....

I do both UMI and of course my bars, so you can take your pick. I did mine for performance above all. I offer UMI for cost reasons. And if you consider that for the time being (not always) Strano bars are $429 shipped vs. $319 plus shipping the net difference for that 20+ lbs. saved isn't nearly what many folks think.... And you save the 20 pounds, and get what I feel if superior hardware too.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS #1469

So do you have a website that sells them? and are they the 35/mm 22/mm?

White
    2001 Z28

PM sent....

Thread Information