SOM
    2002 SS

How hard to remove struts/springs at home?

When my brother had a new 97 ss back in the day I remember his friend swapping lowering springs for him in his driveway.

How hard is this to do? any special parts or tools? if I remember right they took the strut to a shoppe to have the spring compressed etc but the rest of the work they did themselves.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

pretty easy. You can buy a spring compressor pretty cheap and wouldn't have to take it anywhere. Just be careful messing with that spring and make sure your compressors are on there good.
    Granted, this guy is an idiot but this will give you an idea of the force behind a compressed spring. It'll kill you if it hits you.

SOM
    2002 SS

After watching that video I think I'll prefer someone else doing it !! So remove top bolts of strut in engine compartment, remove 2 lower bolts holding the base to the lower control arm, then does the upper control arm ball joint need to come off or will the strut slide out if the car is raised?

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

SOM
    2002 SS

Thanks for the link ! i have a few questions. Does the brake master cylinder need to be removed? If so do i have to bleed everything all over again? The only tools I need is a balljoint puller then? Also int he last 2 pics I can see the upper control arm missing.. where and why did it go?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Thanks for the link ! i have a few questions. Does the brake master cylinder need to be removed? If so do i have to bleed everything all over again? The only tools I need is a balljoint puller then? Also int he last 2 pics I can see the upper control arm missing.. where and why did it go?
    You can remove it and keep the brake lines attached. No it doesnt have to be bleed if you do not open the system. All you do is remove it from the booster.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    the pictures don't show it, but all i did was unbolt the master cylinder from the brake booster. left the lines attached. no bleeding necessary. you must remove the master cylinder to get access to the torx bolt under it. really don't need a ball joint seperator. i just hit the upper control arm with a big hammer until the ball joint stud seperated from the spindle. this way, the boot doesn't get torn.

the upper control arm and bracket sits on top of the shock mount. once you remove the shock, it comes out with it and you'll see it just lifts off the mount.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Thread Information