Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How hard is it to install SFCs, bolt ons?

This is a discussion on How hard is it to install SFCs, bolt ons? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Unless you are going to be doing some serious drag or road racing boltins are fine. Yes, I do agree ...

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Unless you are going to be doing some serious drag or road racing boltins are fine. Yes, I do agree that welding them in will make the chassis even more rigid, but you have to take into concideration what a person wants to do with there car. I've ran a 600 rwhp 69 camaro at the king of the street drag races for over 5 years with boltins with no problems. But when we put the 900 motor hp in it we welded them in for safety sake.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Bolt-in types work perfectly fine, they don't shift around and the mounting holes won't get elongated if you bolt them in properly (make sure that the mounting bolts are torqued to the suspension part manufacturer's specs). The only experience I have is with UMI SFCs: they mount using existing screws and chassis holes, no drilling or cutting is needed....AND, you don't have to do any cutting of anything (such as heat shields, etc.). The only thing that you have to do to make sure the SFCs are not putting any unnatural loads on the car is first mount all the components with the screws NOT torqued down, just torqued enough to keep everything together. The final torqueing of all the bolts MUST be done with the car's weight on the tires, the way your car normally sits on a level road - that keeps the SFCs from inducing any abnormal 'twisting' of the body structure.

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

I have SLP's boltins and I didn't have to cut or drill anything either. They came with all the bolts and instructions also. I've been happy with mine.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

RK sport weld ons, the work great, they are for verts tho

whs
    What do you guys do about repainting the underside after the welding is complete?

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

WHS, Once the area is ground down to bare metal, a good shop will spray it with some weld through primer. That will prevent a lot of potential rusting issues. Then you could spray it with some Dupli color touch up paint and that should do it. I did this method plenty of times at the bodyshop. Just remember once the metal is ground on it will have removed all of the galvonizing that GM did at the factory.

black
    2002 trans am firehawk

2-point bolt on's will work just fine for your car. Get the UMI's, that's what I put on my firehawk. They're easy to install at home. Just get you a piece of 1" thick plywood, cut it in 12"x12" squares, put 4 squares under each tire two squares at a time. This is how I did it. It gave me plenty of room to get under the car and it kept the suspension loaded, which is required for installing SFC's. I installed mine in an hour and that included jacking it and putting the wood squares under it.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

excellent idea. thanks
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by indiana hawk View Post
    2-point bolt on's will work just fine for your car. Get the UMI's, that's what I put on my firehawk. They're easy to install at home. Just get you a piece of 1" thick plywood, cut it in 12"x12" squares, put 4 squares under each tire two squares at a time. This is how I did it. It gave me plenty of room to get under the car and it kept the suspension loaded, which is required for installing SFC's. I installed mine in an hour and that included jacking it and putting the wood squares under it.
    I happen to have a spare set of rims laying around, they work great for putting under the tires when you needs the whole car up in the air also

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information