Bright Green Metallic
    1998 Z28 Camaro

How do I make my car a 1LE equivalent?

Have a 98 stock Z28 (except lid, shifter, and STB). Have 63,000 miles on it. Want better handling but not radically stiff. Want stock ride hgt or maybe 1/2 inch lower at most. I'd like to order the old 1LE kit but I think only custom parts are available now. Any vendors have a kit that fits my needs?

Thanks,

Jim

1le Susp

I was thinking the same dam thing,Me i was gonna contact GMMG and see if they sold as a kit since thats what they put on all their rides good luck to the both of us LOL

black
    1998 TA

same situation here guys

flat black
    1LE was a suspension package if i remember correctly and i tihnk its just bigger front and rear sway bars

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Also special bushings which = new part numbers for rear LCA's and front LCA's as well as different spring rates and of course Koni DA's shocks.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

how about making it better than 1le? get really big 35mm front sway bar, some koni SA shocks, subframe connectors and a torque arm

Bright Green Metallic
    1998 Z28 Camaro

"how about making it better than 1le? get really big 35mm front sway bar, some koni SA shocks, subframe connectors and a torque arm"

Is this better? I guess I was just playing it safe (not knowing) by looking into what I read a few years ago was a great auto-x suspension, that rode decent too. In your recommended setup are you using the stock Z28 springs? Are Koni SAs adjustable? Is there a FAQ that shows what progressive mods improve handling? Like tires first, shocks second, sway bar third, or do you really need to just buy a whole kit with everything matched set?

Thanks,

Jim

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

i wanted to go into the same direction and ended up just getting bilstein hd shocks. great improval in handling without really compromising comfort. car feels stiffer and more controllable. and from there you can always do more...

arnt moog bushings the same design as 1LE bushings?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by eldrijt View Post
    "how about making it better than 1le? get really big 35mm front sway bar, some koni SA shocks, subframe connectors and a torque arm"

Is this better? I guess I was just playing it safe (not knowing) by looking into what I read a few years ago was a great auto-x suspension, that rode decent too. In your recommended setup are you using the stock Z28 springs? Are Koni SAs adjustable? Is there a FAQ that shows what progressive mods improve handling? Like tires first, shocks second, sway bar third, or do you really need to just buy a whole kit with everything matched set?

Thanks,

Jim
    depends on what you're willing to spend...you can trick out the whole suspension for 10K or you can mod a few things and have a predictable setup.

koni sa's [single adjustable] have 4-stiffness settings. You can lower the car about .75" using the KONI's lower perch/heater-hose mod. Keep the stock springs too. Add a big ole sway bar for some precision turning.

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

I think it all depend on your budget. If you need to go cheap pick up a 1Le 32mm front bar from ebay or one of the boards. You can find 1Le springs pretty cheap too. Then throw on some bilstein shocks and your ride will be a lot better. And best of all you can get the whole thing for around $450.
    • $338.00 BILSTEIN SHOCKS CAMARO FIREBIRD TRANS AM 93-03 FREE S&H (Ebay)
    • $24.95-50 GM 32mm hollow front sway (there is one new for sale also on ebay)
    • $50 or so for a set of used 1LE Springs

I put my old 1LE bar on my wifes Z and it help quite a bit. I have a set of 1Le springs that I'll probably use some bilstein with on her car also. Since her car is 99% street DD, this will be a good improvement. Every once in a while she'll take it to the road course to play but even stock it was fun, but compared to my car it is night and day difference on the track. Of course mine rides a bit rougher on the street than hers so it is a compromise.

If you want a great performing combo then 35mm hollow Stranobar or Suspension Techniques Solid, Koni SA shocks, and 1Le springs (if you want to keep stock ride height) or some Hotchkis springs (1" drop). This set up will run you shy of $1,200.

My .02.
    2000 NBM Camaro Z28
    Mods:
    SLP Lid & K&N, AHR Headers + 3" catted Y and Mangaflow, !EGR, !AIR, BMR CM STB, ST Front 35mm and Hellwig Adj. Rear 22mm Swaybar, Adj. Rod/Rod PHB, Koni SA's, Ground Control Springs & Adj. Ride height, and HPTuners.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Actually it was harder than you think to find legit 1LE springs. I did get a set but it took almost an entire winter.

You are right about the ebay bar though a real decent deal.

Skip the 1LE bushings (GM will send just rubber stockers even with the correct part number) and get poly swaybar bushings and poly endlinks.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

The rear control arms off of a 96-97"SS" are the same as 1LE.

you can get all 1le parts from the dealer except for the 1le springs... they are discontinued... i suggest ebay or go with sam strano springs... his are about equilvent to 1le rears and a touch stiffer in the front (1le 360 vs 550 sams)... only other thing i suggest skip the 1le panhard rod and go double rod end and skip the 32mm front and go 35mm with the 1le rear bar (21mm)

Thread Information