Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2000 Trans Am

Help upgrading stock suspension....

Hey everyone, the only thing suspension wise I have done to my TA is remove the rubber spacers at the top of the rear springs....to give it a lower stance in the rear.....if I wanted to replace the stock shocks with something nicer what would you suggest? My TA spends most of it's life in it's own storage unit and only gets out and about on the weekend so it's not a track car....thanks for any help!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

It would greatly depend on your budget, but the best performing shocks on the market are Koni's. Second to that, which is still a very nice shock, is Bilstein. It sounds like perhaps Bilstein would suit your needs best based on the amount of and style of driving you do.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I agree - Bilsteins are the way to go.

2000 Trans Am

any particular part number for the bilsteins that you suggest?
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I don't recall how many different iterations they have for f-bodys, but I believe the HD's are the ones you want. You can buy them as a pair for the fronts only, rears only, or as a kit for front and back.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I don't recall how many different iterations they have for f-bodys, but I believe the HD's are the ones you want. You can buy them as a pair for the fronts only, rears only, or as a kit for front and back.
    Thanks 35th I appreciate the help. Since it has the stock springs on it. Aside from the lowered rears from removing the rubber bushings up top. Should I just get the HD shocks for a stock suspension?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

OP, you're going to want to put that dampner(the rubber piece at the top of the spring) back in. Over time it's going to wear through the metal and then you're looking at serious repair. If you don't at least use some hose and feed it on tho the top of the spring to give it some cushion.

Hotchkis has a 1" drop spring set that does really well and isn't a big chunk of change. Pair with the shocks and you're good.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    OP, you're going to want to put that dampner(the rubber piece at the top of the spring) back in. Over time it's going to wear through the metal and then you're looking at serious repair. If you don't at least use some hose and feed it on tho the top of the spring to give it some cushion.

Hotchkis has a 1" drop spring set that does really well and isn't a big chunk of change. Pair with the shocks and you're good.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post

I forgot to mention I did add some rubber hose up top to alleviate the damage it could of done. So what biksteins are we recommending for the slight drop in the rear?

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Thumbs up

AFAIK other than SLP Bilsteins, they only make one for our cars (example 93-02 Bilstein HD Shock Package (Set of 4 | WS6store.com) and I am about to take mine out, I have a koni setup going in with my bmr 1.25" drop springs I have in now.
    Last edited by 99'CajunFirehawk157; 08-21-2015 at 06:18 PM.
    Regards,
    Todd

#cajunhotrodder on instagram

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Koni has a sale going on till the end of the month, in case that matters. Might off set the price difference with the Bilstiens.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Koni has a sale going on till the end of the month, in case that matters. Might off set the price difference with the Bilstiens.
    That is exactly how/why I bought mine, save about a $1oo off retail afaik! YMMV

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157 View Post
    AFAIK other than SLP Bilsteins, they only make one for our cars (example 93-02 Bilstein HD Shock Package (Set of 4 | WS6store.com) and I am about to take mine out, I have a koni setup going in with my bmr 1.25" drop springs I have in now.
    Was there something wrong with the Bilsteins? I've had them on my car and I have been pretty happy with them.

2000 Trans Am

Ok fellas give me some insight on what everyone thinks about a good koni/strano combination.....and what "packaged deal" from strano everyone suggests.

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Ok fellas give me some insight on what everyone thinks about a good koni/strano combination.....and what "packaged deal" from strano everyone suggests.
    Can't add input but I can say I will be saving up for that exact setup for next year. No body dislikes that combo!
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, QTP Longtube headers ORY, LS6 intake, EGR/A.I.R delete.
    Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays
    YouTube.com/DarrenWS6

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have the Koni 4/4 shocks and Strano lowering springs on all 4 corners on my car. Love the stance and how it handles. It's arguably the best combination you can get.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I have the Koni 4/4 shocks and Strano lowering springs on all 4 corners on my car. Love the stance and how it handles. It's arguably the best combination you can get.
    35th i swear you are the only person that is on these forums these days anymore lol.....what do you mean by koni 4/4 shocks? i am trying to find on the strano website those shocks but am unable to find 4/4 anywhere on there.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

He calls them Koni Sport Set or Koni Yellows. They are the on-car adjustable ones; yellow/black.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I have the same set up. It's great, with one caveat.

I bought the car with stock springs, and Koni shocks (front) and Bilsteins (rear). The first "suspension" upgrade I did was the sub-frame connectors. Made a world of difference to the car's "integrity" in handling response. Much more direct feeling and taut. Then, I upgraded to Strano's hollow sway bars (the original, non adjustable set). This made the car perfect in regards to ride quality and handling for my purposes. Then I upgraded to Strano Springs. The immediate impression was that the ride was harsher than I wanted, but also much tighter with less (almost no) body roll. After putting a couple thousand miles on the springs, either they have "softened up" after a break in period (not even sure if that happens) or I have acclimated to it. I really like the ride now.

If I had it to do over again, I would be just as happy on stock springs with sway bars and Konis. But I do like the Stranos for the performance benefit. It feels like an equal trade-off to me (but the car looks better on the Stranos).
    Last edited by Naaman; 09-01-2015 at 03:04 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You've probably gotten used to it. Steel springs can go quite a few cycles (hundreds of thousands) before their load rate changes, especially if they're not going solid, which springs in a car won't ever do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information