Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Help me pick out springs

So I'm beginning to believe my springs are weak. when hitting medium sized bumps in the road or large gradual swells that unload then load the suspension, my car will crash into the bump stops rather quickly. I thought it was lack of damping causing this behavior but installing KYB AGX's did not resolve my problems. over very small bumps I can feel that the damping is stiffer than the stock decarbons but over those medium bumps and swells I quickly run out of suspension travel. this problem is apparent on both sides of the rear suspension, it never bottoms on the fronts, but it is most prevalent on the right rear side. Coupled with my rear that has a leaky seal and the start of bearing noise and I'd say all signs point to one to many drag launches or too much wheel hop in this cars lifetime. I've only owned it for 2 months so can't speak for how hard it's life has been. I bought it because everything worked and the body was flawless.

I suspect drag abuse has damaged the springs based on what I have seen in aftermarket offerings. Air helpers for drag setups on these cars seem to be on the right side so i assume that spring takes the brunt of a launch.

My car doesn't seem to sag in any way but I have never measured it.

In my searching of the forum I came across someone who also had a problem with that harsh BANG on bumps to the right rear of the vehicle and new springs seemed to have helped greatly.

So I have jumped to my conclusion that I need springs to fix my woes. I would like to further stiffen up and enhance my cars handling but living in NY am GREATLY concerned about ground clearance. I was leaning toward the SLP Eibach springs but have heard they leave the car with a poor front to rear stance. The factory SLP kit seemed the best fit because the drop was minimal and the stiffness was greater while not being highly variable. After reading peoples dissatisfaction with them I'm lost. I'd like to install new springs this weekend but would need to order them ASAP in order to do that. I'd hate to drive another day with this bang in the back...... I've read the sticky but am left confused.

I just don't know if I can handle much of a drop with my usage. I regularly have 4 adults in my bird going to and from car shows and cruising. I'm also afraid that if the springs aren't my problem that replacing them with stock springs will be a total waste of money. I know it seems like the SLP Eibachs are my only choice but before I make that leap I'd like to pose that question to those more knowledgeable than myself.

thanks,

Dylan
    Last edited by LSCyaL8R; 08-17-2009 at 01:01 PM.
    Magnaflow cat back, adj KYB's, 3 point SFC's, STB, LCA reloc, adj LCA's, SLP lid, Fernco bellows, Strano Springs, Drag Bags, Tick adj Master cylinder, Monster stage3 clutch, speed bleeder, Billet flywheel, MGW shifter, !CAGS

White
    2001 Z28

Well, I'm sure you are more than overloaded... The car is only supposed to carry about 500 pounds in total. If you have 4 adults in it, I'm guessing unless you are all very small you are over the GVW limit... Much like an overloaded pick-up pounds the rear suspension, so does the car.

Not sure you should be thinking about changing springs at all, if anything, you should be looking to spend about $100 on a set of air helper springs to help the rear springs out. I sell a few a year for instances where folks carry a lot more than normal weight.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

the problem is that this issue occurs whether there are 4 people in the car or just myself... and i happen to weigh far less than 500 lbs. lol I simply mention the fact that I have those people in the car from time to time in order to illustrate my desire not to lower the car more than necessary.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

I don't know what you budget is, but if you can find some 1LE rear springs that should help, since those have a higher spring rate than the regular rear springs.
    or
    You could put a A.R.T. Coolride air-spring kit (with manual air fill valves) in the rear for around $400. That will completely get rid of you problem!

black
    99 Z28

wow i have the same problem as you and iam currently in the market for springs as well.

anybody here lowered on strano springs? and how much of a drop are they?

White Liquid Silver
    2000 Camaro SS/ 02 YZF-R1

I just put my stranos and Koni 4/3's on yesterday and I measured all four corners before hand. Once done and back from a ride around the block the car sits about 3/4 to an inch lower. The stance is perfect IMO and the ride quality is night and day! The only thing I was disappointed with was the terrible instructions or lack of to adjust the rear shocks before installing! I highly recommend this setup

black
    99 Z28

so 3/4 to an inch lower than stock?

White
    2001 Z28

My springs generally lower most cars about 1.2". Some are more, some are less, but the huge majority is about that 1.2".

Why different? Ever notice that a lot of stock cars don't sit at the same height with GM springs. There is variance there, stock there certainly will be aftermarket. The best springs, of which I feel mine are, will not make every car sit at exactly the same height, just can't.

There are no shortage of pictures on various sites of cars on Strano springs. I suggest looking at them closely.... Some even have before/after shots so you can compare maybe how your car sits stock vs. their cars and then what it looks like after lowering.

White Liquid Silver

just took the pics with my blackberry, it was raining when I changed them out or else I would have done a before and after. I measured driver front 27 1/2 before and 26 1/2 after, 28 driver rear and 27 after so I got an inch drop and it sits perfect!!!

White
    2001 Z28

Looks great Joe.... Glad you like it!!!

White Liquid Silver

love it...thanks for the help!! Only thing I didnt do was adjust the rear shocks because I didn't know how when I was installing them. But they were so easy to do I'll adjust as needed. I'm guessing I have to get an alignment so I'll make an appt for sometime this week. I've driven it a couple times and it feels fine but I'll get it done just in case. It feels like a totally different car, your recommended setup is perfect. Panhard bar was so easy I layed under there admiring the setup to kill some time...ha ha. Still thinking about the 3 pt SFC though.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I am actually seriously considering the strano springs now. The way I see it, with my friends riding with me now on my soft worn mushy springs the tops of my wheels disappear into the rear wheel wells. That is FAR more than a 1.2 inch drop lol and even then i only hit the bump stops and don't seem to bottom out on driveways with them in the car. I think I may go for the stranos for the higher spring rates and maybe my final ride height with passengers will be slightly HIGHER than it is now.... if not and the problem doesn't get better it'll just be more mods in the form of air assist when I need it.

Big question though is.... I can't seem to find spring rates for the Strano Springs. Looks like the rates for EVERYTHING else are posted in the sticky. Care to lend a hand here sam? I know people swear by your springs but I am nothing if not a curious type and I'd love to know!

I'm glad to see this thread pop up again. I really can't sit much longer riding like this. I see a lot of great things in the future of my suspension and drivetrain but first things first and right now that means springs.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    I am actually seriously considering the strano springs now. The way I see it, with my friends riding with me now on my soft worn mushy springs the tops of my wheels disappear into the rear wheel wells. That is FAR more than a 1.2 inch drop lol and even then i only hit the bump stops and don't seem to bottom out on driveways with them in the car. I think I may go for the stranos for the higher spring rates and maybe my final ride height with passengers will be slightly HIGHER than it is now.... if not and the problem doesn't get better it'll just be more mods in the form of air assist when I need it.

Big question though is.... I can't seem to find spring rates for the Strano Springs. Looks like the rates for EVERYTHING else are posted in the sticky. Care to lend a hand here sam? I know people swear by your springs but I am nothing if not a curious type and I'd love to know!

I'm glad to see this thread pop up again. I really can't sit much longer riding like this. I see a lot of great things in the future of my suspension and drivetrain but first things first and right now that means springs.
    Sure, I'll tell you... It's out in public, but these days I'm not inclinded to make it easy for other to steal the information. Call me, I'll be happy to answer your questions--including that one.

Of note, I'm only here tomorrow--leaving for Nationals on Wed the 2nd, back Monday the 14th...

blue
    99 Z28 Camaro LS1

I'm running 315s in the back and had the Eiback Pro kit which lowered my Z28 2" after time the rear springs became very spingy I could colapse them with my hands if I could do this with my hands then the car's weight would be even worse so I happened to get my hands on a set of used firebird springs (rear) and cut 1 coil off and do not have a cluncking noise any more it also rides nice too with plenty of clearance for tires with great stance hope I was of any help

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Went with Strano springs. I'll be installing them this weekend. I'll try and get some before and after shots. Probably won't be washing the car till after they are on so don't mind the dirt in the inevitable before shots. Here's hoping I love my car more than ever come Saturday.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I LOVE MY CAR MORE THAN EVER..... ok just had to say that because of my last post.

I didn't get to do the rear springs last night, those are getting done about 20 mins from now. Just wanted to share preliminary findings with all. The Strano springs are a PERFECT fit when installing them on the shock assembly. What I mean by that is no spring compressor needed. Which is good because you wouldn't want to scratch that pretty white paint. I personally feel like I got more than a 1.2 inch drop but sadly was in such a rush last night I didn't take the time to take a before measurement. I'm still pleased with the results in front. I can just barely fit ONE of my skinny little fingers between the top of my front tire and my fender. There are a ton of photos of my car on the web so before shots are a dime a dozen I'll do what I can on after shots.

As for the ride??? Well I had another issue that I fixed at the same time as this, the drivers side wheel bearing was going clunka clunka so that got replaced. I must say though, I can't imagine using these springs and NOT having SFC's they are stiff enough that to do so would be foolish to me. The car rides wonderful. Better than before. It is more controlled, more composed, more poised. The suspension feels like it's doing its thing and the chassis is working right along with it. I just can't wait to get the rears on and feel how the back end comes in line with the front. The full package has high expectations now!!! More impressions and pics to follow.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Lightbulb

Get a front end alignment ASAP, because it doesn't take long to ruin a good set of tires.
    Guess how I know.

White Liquid Silver

Damn only one finger? What size tires do you have? I have stock 17's with 275's and I still squezze 3 fingers in there...hmmm?

White Liquid Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Blue28 View Post
    Get a front end alignment ASAP, because it doesn't take long to ruin a good set of tires.
    Guess how I know.
    I still have to get mine done, been busy but def this week...I barely drive my car anyway but the couple days I have driven it it's felt pretty good.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

i got my alignment and they pretty much set it to spec. it was waaaayyyyy out when they put it up on the machine. right after getting the alignment done i washed it up real good and took a nice long drive.... to lancaster pa. i'm actually at a hotel right now writing this from my phone. i must say that this is how i imagined the car would drive long before i ever got it. on the open road it just feels tighter smoother more "buttoned down" Thank you Sam for a wonderful product. I certainly do not hesitate to recommend these to anyone. don't worry about the drop you will learn to live with it and love it. i'll still try getting all the pics i took up here... technically i could do it from my phone but the photobucket app costs money and i think it could wait a few days rather than pay just to upload pics lol. goodnight all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information