Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Help!! Lowering car voided warranty

When I purchased my car, I purchased an extended warranty through a third party company. It was supposed to cover the car for 5 years/75000 miles. I lowered the car back in March using Eibach springs, when the car had 35000 miles. Now it has 40000, and I took it to the dealer to fix a problem with the rear defroster. The warranty company decided to void my warranty because I lowered the car! Has anybody ran in to this? I though aftermarket parts weren't supposed to void a warranty?

yes it is unrelated so you should be covered -
    unless you got some bs in your fine print ....?

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

They didn't just deny the claim, they cancelled the entire warranty!

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

well, they should be refunding you the difference owed to you for the extended warranty. and yes, you will need to read the fine print all over that warranty plan. did it say any alterations from stock would entitle them to end the contract?
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

The wording says that "Anything not recommended by the manufacturer" can void the warranty. It has been well over a month, and no money yet. After calling the company, they told me that I need to call the dealership to get my refund, and the finance manager at the dealership isn't returning my calls!

Black
    97 Formula

Print this off. It's called the Magnuson-Moss Act. It's a LAW passed by Congress.

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/magnusonmoss.htm

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Warbird
    Print this off. It's called the Magnuson-Moss Act. It's a LAW passed by Congress.

http://www.magnusonproducts.com/magnusonmoss.htm
    NICE!!!

Rob

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thank you guys for the support, I will be discussing this with the dealership shortly!

sebring silver
    1999 camaro z28

nice move with the whole congress law thing...see what they have to say about that

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

hell yeah, that's ammo for if you ask me...sounds like they owe you a longer warrenty for the time off too. Maybe free oil changes too. bastards. Small claims should cover this right? If he has to get legal and can't afford a lawyer.

oh yeah, let me know how they fixed the rear defroster too, man...

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by rbrack
    When I purchased my car, I purchased an extended warranty through a third party company. It was supposed to cover the car for 5 years/75000 miles. I lowered the car back in March using Eibach springs, when the car had 35000 miles. Now it has 40000, and I took it to the dealer to fix a problem with the rear defroster. The warranty company decided to void my warranty because I lowered the car! Has anybody ran in to this? I though aftermarket parts weren't supposed to void a warranty?
    There's one BIG problem; read the fine print! It says that the vehicle MANUFACTURER can't void the warrantee if aftermarket parts are used (Moss-Magnuson Act). This guy, like me, bought an extended warrantee from a THIRD PARTY, not GM. My contract states that if I modify my car for "racing or other purposes, modify the suspension or frame blah blah blah" then the warrantee is null and void. rbrack should at least get a refund for the unused portion of the warrantee, but he may have to file a complaint with his state's Consumer Protection board. At the very least, file a complaint against the dealer / warrantee company with your state's Better Business Bureau. There was another thread on this board which discussed third party warrantees: do you need any toilet paper or a liner for the bottom of a bird cage? Oh, forget using it as toilet paper, it might scratch or cut your a** and then the warrantee company could definitely deny coverage - you were using the warrantee for an unapproved activity! Third party warrantees like most extended warrantees for electronics, appliances etc. serve only as profit boosters for the selling company. Sorry to hear that you got scr*wed too... You have to read your warrantee terms carefully; if the company specifically prohibits such modifications then they've got an out. Fr*ckin' weasels; what does lowering your suspension have to do with your rear defroster? A 'good lawyer' is an oxymoron.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I had a similar problem with the Pontiac dealership. I had a scratch in my drivers window because it was off alignment. The dealership tried to tell me that the tint in the window caused the scratch & because I went with someone other than the dealership to put the tint on they can't fix my window. Does that make any sense? So I took my car to a different dealership & they fixed it w/ no questions asked.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Bad99, that sounds like your window guide broke, they are notorious to breaking, they (2 of them) are on the top of the door and have felt on them to protect teh window. On the Suspension note, Eibach install does not mean a race setup. Personally I find them weak for racing. But yes, Extended warranties are suppose to reflect a extended Manufacture warranty. Read your paperwork, if there is no statement against it specifically, you can hold them liable, if no luck, take them to small claims court. After that, do not let them touch your car. To be a smart ass, ask them since you dont use Factory tires if that would void your warranty.. or ask the judge that... Springs and shocks are normal wear out parts that must be replaced for safety. -Tim

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

[QUOTE=bad99ta]I had a similar problem with the Pontiac dealership. QUOTE]

I have never had a good experience with my local Pontiac dealship... they dropped it off the lift and smashed the rocker panel, then denied it. I never return there again. -Tim

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

I know normally when you modify a vehicle only that part is voided not the whole thing. SOmeone is trying to screw you over.

Silver
    '02 WS6

My cousin bought a 1998 Trans Am which was stock besides a straight exhaust that the previous owner fabricated. So he purchases an extended warranty from the dealership. He later returned the car for warranty repairs and the dealership refused to fix it because they alleged he altered the exhaust. They're the ones who sold him the car knowing the exhaust wasn't stock. Man, I was pissed when my cousin told me this. I went up there acting like his attorney and got a full refund. I'm tired of these half ass warranty companies.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I have never had a good experience with my local Pontiac dealship... they dropped it off the lift and smashed the rocker panel, then denied it. I never return there again. -Tim
    I would kick someone's a$$ if they dropped my car off the lift. Man would I raise hell at that place! Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Artic White
    96 Formula Firebird

Extended warrantys are in general a bad idea. Even the FTC warns people against buying them. The line of thinking here is that the parts in question will probally out live the extended warranty anyway. If they do, you have wasted your money.

Additionlly, an extended warranty threw a third party is an even worse idea. First, you can have probelms with them wanting to cover warranty repairs. Secondly, there have been several of these companies that have went out of bussiness over the years. If they go out of bussiness, again you are screwed!!!!!

Pewter
    2002 Z28 M6

I bought a 2002 Z28 in early November and bought an extended warranty from the dealership. Two days ago, I notice this whine in the rear end. I took the car back to the same dealership, and they overhauled the rear end, New carrier bearings and pinion bearing, crush sleeve, etc. No charge,no questions! I paid $1400 for the warranty and this repair was over $900. Still have almost 5 years to go. I hope this isnt a portent of things to come!

Thread Information