Thread: handling

silver
    1998 z28

handling

how can i get my 98 z28 to handle better. Should i start with lowereing it....???? or tower bar and subrame connectors....?????? what brand to buy...???

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Tires, shocks, sub frame connectors, rear lower control arms, and sway bars would be a good start. Strut tower brace is a waste of money.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Quality shocks will make the single biggest difference.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

silver
    1998 z28

thanks for the input. my biggest concern is eliminating body roll. what shocks do you reccomend for street driving.

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

springs, shocks, and swaybars will have the greatest effects on overall handling.

koni shocks are ideal but expensive. well worth it, but if you can't afford them then go with the SLP bilsteins. i have them and i'm happy, but i certainly wouldn't go with anything cheaper. to eliminate roll, the biggest things are going to be springs and swaybars. i would recommend 35/21 or 35/22 swaybars (i have 35/21 and love it) and strano springs (generally considered the best lowering springs out there).

do you go to WPU?

silver
    1998 z28

thanks for the info. whats wpu?

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

a school haha nevermind

silver
    1998 z28

which konis should i get?

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Koni single adjustable. I have the 4/4's but I never change my rear setting now that I have them where I want them so wish I should have saved the $100 and gone 4/3. I have Strano springs and bars too and UMI rod ended PHB and highly recommend this setup. A watts link would help too but I have higher priorities like a new rear with my car right now.

Black
    1999 WS6 Ram Air Trans-Am

You will see the most difference with koni shocks alone. I have 4/3 koni shocks with strano springs. It's like night and day difference from your old stock shocks and koni. They are the best all around shock to buy.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

^^^^^^^ I agree with this statement. 35/22 bars are second and properly balanced springs third. You have to be careful with springs because there are many choices but very few that got it right.....

silver
    1998 z28

thanks for all the good info!!!

Do they make american racing heades for 98 z28?

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SOMbitch View Post
    Koni single adjustable. I have the 4/4's but I never change my rear setting now that I have them where I want them so wish I should have saved the $100 and gone 4/3. I have Strano springs and bars too and UMI rod ended PHB and highly recommend this setup. A watts link would help too but I have higher priorities like a new rear with my car right now.
    But you are likely in a "setting" that the 4/3's might not have been able to offer. Not just about easier adjustment, the 4/4's allow you to set the shocks anywhere you like, not only within certain detent positions which is how the 4/3's work......

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    But you are likely in a "setting" that the 4/3's might not have been able to offer. Not just about easier adjustment, the 4/4's allow you to set the shocks anywhere you like, not only within certain detent positions which is how the 4/3's work......
    You are right Sam but since I don't competively race I probabaly don't need the fine tunability of the 4/4's.This is no knock on your setup in anyway. After 3 4th gens with different setups yours is hands down the best.

I am really wanting a watts link to add to it but just gotta do some stuff like a rear to keep me on the road first.....

White
    2001 Z28

Let's make this simple (and for the record, don't think you were knocking the setup ).

Are you full soft? Are you about 1/2 turn up from soft? Are you about 1 full turn up from soft, or are you full stiff. If you are using some setting other than those, you are in a place not accessible to the rear shocks from a set of 4/3's. Which means you can only get to where you might be (don't know where you are set actually) by having 4/4's. fwiw.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

I am one turn from full soft on the rear and and two turns from full hard on the front normally.

I recently made a 1200 mile roud trip to Ohio and softened the front up two turns because the road is so bad in parts of W.Va and KY. It made a noticeable difference and made the trip much more enjoyable..... I felt I was literally killing the car my first trip. I do love the flexibility of these shocks. That was the only time I changed them though after I found the sweet handling spot.

White
    2001 Z28

In hindsight, because of your chosen setting in the rear, you could have gotten that with 4/3's. But it would have taken more time to "get there". Also, as they say, hindsight is 20/20! You couldn't have known that the setting you settled on was also one available to you in 4/3's.

Awaiting Activation

SOM
    1998 T.A.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    In hindsight, because of your chosen setting in the rear, you could have gotten that with 4/3's. But it would have taken more time to "get there". Also, as they say, hindsight is 20/20! You couldn't have known that the setting you settled on was also one available to you in 4/3's.

Live and learn........ Thanks!

Thread Information