Results 1 to 20 of 20

Guru's help me Lower

This is a discussion on Guru's help me Lower within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Hey guys, well I've got a big build going in this winter, over three years of saving and preparing. Along ...

  1. #1
    Member Bouvers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    857

    Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

    Guru's help me Lower

    Hey guys, well I've got a big build going in this winter, over three years of saving and preparing. Along with it I'm also doing rims and want to give my car a slight drop. I don't know the first damn thing about lowering so give me as much info as you want.

    Here is what I need, I'll be running 18" rims 9.5 up front and 11 out back with 315's. I already have an adj. panhard rod. I'm not looking for a big drop because the roads here are far from perfect. I was thinking 3/4" - 1" drop will be plenty. I want to do this as inexpensively as possible, when I say "I want to keep it all under 1000$ budget" That is a max if its absolutely necessary, but from what I've already read it doesn't seem necessary to spend that much in order to drop this much and still have a good ride.

    Car is a 2001 WS6.

    thanks guys,

    oh also I have a line on some hotchkins 1" drop springs and SLP .75" drop springs.
    Last edited by Bouvers; 12-20-2009 at 07:28 PM.

  2. #2
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Koni S/A's and stock springs with the front set on the lower perch and the rear spring hose mod (approx 3/4" drop) will accomplish your goal and stay under the $1,000 budget.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

    Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

  3. #3
    Member Bouvers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    857

    Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

    If I took the 1" drop Hotchkins springs what would be the harm if I didn't upgrade the shocks?

    Also I hear everyone talking down the "KYB Adjustable AGX Shocks" but I know a few guys that run these and they sound fine... is this just some people that are super picky saying that these are inadequate or are they actually shit?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    8

    black
    1998 ss camaro

    koni shocks and slp springs 3/4 drop.

  5. #5
    Member Bouvers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    857

    Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by ssam98 View Post
    koni shocks and slp springs 3/4 drop.
    are shocks absolutely necessary when lowering a minimal amount such as 3/4? what would be the negative effects? hard ride?

  6. #6
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouvers View Post
    are shocks absolutely necessary when lowering a minimal amount such as 3/4? what would be the negative effects? hard ride?
    The Stock Decrapon (Decarbon) Shocks are incapable of dampening the stock springs let alone a stiffer lowering spring add that they have to do the same job in less area and it makes for bumpy ride. My first suggestion of using the stock springs and lowering the car with the Koni's gives you the best of both worlds. Great handling from a superior shock and the softer ride from the stock springs. Do not under estimate the difference a set of quality shock like Koni's can make to an otherwise stock car.
    Last edited by 9T8W66; 12-20-2009 at 08:09 PM.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    181

    navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

    get good shocks. that should be your priority. do not skimp out. you may be happy for the first few thousand miles, but trust me, cheap shocks will not feel good for long.

    koni's are the best. next is slp bilsteins, but they're a moderate step down from koni's. i don't know if i'd trust kyb's or tokico's, never ridden in a car with either so i can't comment.

  8. #8
    Member Bouvers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    857

    Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

    alright well if I do go with Koni's instead, what is the significant difference between single adj. and double adj.? I highly doubt I will ever be messing around with these things more then once. So if its just better for re-adjustment then its not worth it for me. But I'm still very reluctant to throw this much money at a wearable peice.

    So what would this sound like for a build...

    SLP 3/4" drop springs with Koni Single Adj. Shocks all around and then if the stance is still not quite right then do the heater hose mod?

  9. #9
    Member Bouvers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    857

    Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

    well I hope Sam maybe stumbles into this thread so he can see in detail what I'm looking to accomplish. But I gave him a call and in a very brief conversation gave me a lot of good and helpful information. The conclusion he came to was that if on a budget and am looking for a smooth comfortable ride, the best I could accomplish is just get a set of Koni Single Adjustables and keep the factory springs. Sounds good to me as that means I should keep this fairly inexpensive, still have a very smooth ride, gain a bit of control and maybe give my car the 3/4" drop I was looking for.

    If you have any thoughts on this please post them up!

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    8

    black
    1998 ss camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouvers View Post
    alright well if I do go with Koni's instead, what is the significant difference between single adj. and double adj.? I highly doubt I will ever be messing around with these things more then once. So if its just better for re-adjustment then its not worth it for me. But I'm still very reluctant to throw this much money at a wearable peice.

    So what would this sound like for a build...

    SLP 3/4" drop springs with Koni Single Adj. Shocks all around and then if the stance is still not quite right then do the heater hose mod?
    I have that set up. slp springs, koni shocks, sam strano sway bars car rides smooth and corners great.

  11. #11
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouvers View Post
    well I hope Sam maybe stumbles into this thread so he can see in detail what I'm looking to accomplish. But I gave him a call and in a very brief conversation gave me a lot of good and helpful information. The conclusion he came to was that if on a budget and am looking for a smooth comfortable ride, the best I could accomplish is just get a set of Koni Single Adjustables and keep the factory springs. Sounds good to me as that means I should keep this fairly inexpensive, still have a very smooth ride, gain a bit of control and maybe give my car the 3/4" drop I was looking for.

    If you have any thoughts on this please post them up!
    That is exactly what I said in my first post.
    You could also add Sam's Hollow Swaybars at a later date and really spruce up the handling.

  12. #12
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Please don't post direct links to non sponsors

  13. #13
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Please don't post direct links to non sponsors
    He used to be a Sponsor,
    And I'd rather direct people to some one who can actually help them, then some one who's just out to make a buck. It's cool next time I'll just post the phone number.

  14. #14
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    He used to be a Sponsor,
    And I'd rather direct people to some one who can actually help them, then some one who's just out to make a buck. It's cool next time I'll just post the phone number.
    Its irrelevant whether he used to be a sponsor. He currently is not a sponsor, so we don't allow for advertising, that means no direct links, no phone numbers, no info along those lines. Just mention their name in the thread or shoot them a PM with the info.

  15. #15
    Member Bouvers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    857

    Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

    Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    That is exactly what I said in my first post.
    You could also add Sam's Hollow Swaybars at a later date and really spruce up the handling.
    Ya sorry man, I really appreciate that. I'm not trying to undermine your opinion or knowledge on the matter. I'm just a little overwhelmed with this stuff right now. Everyday I seem to get a different idea of what I need, can't wait for tomorrow .

    Well anyway thanks for the input for now this seems like the best thing I could do.

    Is there a write up anywhere on how to change shocks for us cheap Do It Yourselfers?

  16. #16
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Its irrelevant whether he used to be a sponsor. He currently is not a sponsor, so we don't allow for advertising, that means no direct links, no phone numbers, no info along those lines. Just mention their name in the thread or shoot them a PM with the info.
    Holy hell , when did sam strano stop being a sponcor? That is totally weird what happened?!?!?

  17. #17
    Firebird Encyclopedia 9T8W66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    St. Clair Shores. Michigan
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,605

    Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

    Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Holy hell , when did sam strano stop being a sponcor? That is totally weird what happened?!?!?
    He probably bowed out because of the lack of traffic from this site.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouvers View Post
    Ya sorry man, I really appreciate that. I'm not trying to undermine your opinion or knowledge on the matter. I'm just a little overwhelmed with this stuff right now. Everyday I seem to get a different idea of what I need, can't wait for tomorrow .

    Well anyway thanks for the input for now this seems like the best thing I could do.

    Is there a write up anywhere on how to change shocks for us cheap Do It Yourselfers?
    The rears are easy and took me about 30 minutes. The fronts are alot more labor intensive. heres a Vid on the install http://videos.streetfire.net/video/K...all_688318.htm

  18. #18
    Chief of his tribe! LSCyaL8R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,460

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

    I actually have the Strano springs. Nothing but good things to say about them. I also have air lift drag bags on the rear. Gives the car an amazing agressive stance and really stiffens it up.

    I also have the KYB's (inb4 keeps you bouncing comment) I happen to like my adjustable shocks. If I am not mistaken SPAZ has them too. I need to toy around with the settings a bit as I have them set at 8 right now. I might be able to find a better balance with some fiddling.

    I won't doubt that the Koni's are better but I was trying to restrain my spending a tad and if the KYB's crap out on me i'll probably look into a set of Koni's. I haven't touched my engine yet and plan on doing only suspension and chassis work at least through 2010. So if you ever have a question feel free to ask me. I've looked around and have a decent idea of what's what with these cars.

    Oh and my spring/shock/air bag combo ran me a total of like $750 bucks


    As for the fronts being labor intensive??? Well... Only if you reuse the stock springs lol. Lowering springs may not even need a spring compressor. Honestly I think I can swap out all 4 shocks and springs and install drag bags on an F-body in about 1 1/2 hrs. if you do it all at once, and have good tools, it's really not a bad job at all.

  19. #19
    Member Bouvers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    857

    Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

    I'll be doing the fronts when I drop the K-member this spring, and the backs when I drop the rear-end the following week or so I hope

  20. #20
    Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,485

    Blood Red
    Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Bouvers View Post
    ...Is there a write up anywhere on how to change shocks for us cheap Do It Yourselfers?
    Not a full right up (like I did for the roll cage, seats, harness) but plently of pictures here:

    Suspension Install ~pics~

    Edit: Stupid photobucket pics will re-set in Jan....

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Any 4.3 guru's here?
    By SMWS6TA in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 11:42 AM
  2. Cam guru's come in please
    By RS_SS69 in forum Internal Engine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 10:11 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •