Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

Ground Control Coil-overs price?

So, their site says $450.00 or something. I'm wondering is that the price for all 4 or for 1 corner?

Anyone...?

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

I would say that's the price for all four corners, but WITHOUT the shocks.

Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

If that's the case its a pretty good price for a 0-2 inch adjustable spring set.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Yeah, I'd say so. I was thinking some time ago of getting a set, but didn't know ANYONE who already had them on their Camaro them to see if they were satisfied with them.

White
    2001 Z28

I have them on my car. I used to sell them but dropped the line for a number of reasons.

You need to really think about what you want from the springs. Too many folks dive into "coil-overs" somewhat blinded by the fact they can adjust the ride height. They don't consider rest that's involved.

What spring rates do you run? GC will gladly sell you what they think is right 450/175's. That's not a good combination, not stiff enough in front and too stiff for my liking in the rear. When I sold them, I'd routinely get different rates.

What's involved on the install? Some shocks like the Koni's require modification for them to be put on. Most don't, but then again a lot of shocks aren't up to the job of lowering springs or coil-over use either

What are the cons? Well, the rear springs come completely loose when the axle droops. The rear springs are raw metal. They'll rust if you don't paint or powdercoat them. Setting the ride height is not a 5 minute deal. It takes time to get it set where you want it. Make a change, get the suspension settled, measure, jack car up again make another change, repeat. Also, many think they can just go up and down at will. For instance those that think they can slam it when they get to the cruise-in. It does not work that way. You need to jack the car up, remove the front wheels to do the front. And in the rear, the easiest way is to get the rear up, get the body on jackstands and just pull the adjuster out to make your change. Not things that happen "easily". And, when you do make a ride height change of any tangible amount, the alignment also changes. And finally, you can lower the car so far you have no suspension travel left, and can be into shock breaking range. Nothing to stop folks from that, and many do it.

What are the pros? You can pick you height, and that's the cat's ass to some folks. You can pick your spring rate, but if you don't know what you are doing you shouldn't be trying.

I have them on the front of my car, and they will stay on my car because it's a competition car and I have the need to alter spring rates at times because race tires are always changing compounds and therefore setup changes from time to time.

All that said, I made my own lowering springs. They are not adjustable height, but they incorporate the spring rates, and ride heights I use on my car with the coil-overs. There are a few things you lose like the ability to pick your height and rate. BUT, you gain some things too. My springs cost less @ $269 shipped. They weigh less (just one rear SP141 spring is 2 pounds lighter than the GC spring/adjuster). The rear springs don't come free when the axle droops, and I do rum my own rear springs in my car for this reason (I always use the same rear rate, really only change the front). Lowering springs require no modification to any damper (shock) you might use.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

Thanks for the great info! I've heard great things from a friend about your shocks. I'm going to check out your website, since your post has just changed my mind. I'll probably be buying from you soon.

*edit* I checked out the site and noticed there are no pics of the springs. I'm wondering if you have any painted red?
    Last edited by Kamauxx; 12-19-2007 at 03:05 PM.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Kamauxx View Post
    Thanks for the great info! I've heard great things from a friend about your shocks. I'm going to check out your website, since your post has just changed my mind. I'll probably be buying from you soon.

*edit* I checked out the site and noticed there are no pics of the springs. I'm wondering if you have any painted red?
    Most of the aftermarket companies use different colors so you can tel lthen apart.

I believe Eibach and BMR are red but you should not be picking new springs based on color?

Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

I'm not shopping based on color, I'm hoping the springs I want will have the color I was looking into.

White
    2001 Z28

The springs are white.... Yes, white. If you look @ pics of cars with them, it's not something you can really see. Our bars are black because the can be more easily seen (the rear anyway), and more easily identified based on size and the fact they are hollow. The springs are not that way, and I wanted to make sure there was no confusion down the road. I get lots of calls from folks that know they have springs, but not what they are, and it's a nightmare at times trying to figure it out.

You can paint them or re-powdercoat them if you like....

Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

Yea, I'm probably going to use some engine block paint that I already have laying around to spray them red.

Are the springs already good to go as far as spring rates for a 98 Z28? I mean, can I just order the ones on the site and they will bolt on and work fine?

White
    2001 Z28

The springs are a ready made set. Bolt them on just like stock springs do, align the car and roll. It is best to have shocks that can control them, but that's the case with any lowering spring, not just ours.

Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

What's the big importance with shocks? My car only has 20K miles on it, would the springs really perform that much better with new shocks?

How much do you sell the shocks to match? How will the shocks effect ride quality? Will they help with traction?

White
    2001 Z28

Shocks are the key to the car's suspension, and their primary job are dampers to the springs. You change the spring rates, and height and not the shocks and the result is not good. The stock shocks are not even very good for the stock springs. And shocks that are not intended for lowered cars aren't really any better.

Doing springs and not the appropriate shocks is not smart, and akin to running a lot of cam with little port heads and stock valve springs.

I can't give you a complete primer on suspensions online. But if you take some time and do a little research on these LS1 geared sites you'll start to see what's what. Yes, I sell shocks of all kinds too. I can help you decide on things, but not if you are completely in the dark about the parts and what they do.

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6 (M6)

I installed them with Koni's from Sam on my TA. I modified a wrench to use to take off the top cap of the front Koni's. No modification to the shock itself was required. I've seen many people grind down the top cap as well so the Ground Control setup will fit. I did not order the stock spring rates either but opted for a different set of rates. I still use the front ones but have swapped out the rears when I put in a Moser 9 inch rearend. The axle cups (whatever they are called - the things normal springs fit over but the GC adjusters sit in these cups) are much higher on the Moser than the original 10 bolt. The top of the Moser axle is slightly taller with the same wheels/tires and with the addition of the higher cups, it will not allow the rear to sit as low as it did with the 10 bolt so my car sat higher in the rear than I wanted. My car is not slammed but I don't like the original 4WD look either. I ended up pulling out the rear setup and used some good aftermarket springs on the rear to lower my car to the level desired while keeping the handling where I wanted it.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

I have GC, and happy with them.
    I'd prefer getting conventional springs with the spring rate i want as long as ride height is decent and have suspension travel.
    It did a bit of fundling to settle the height... but happy w/ results.
    I like the fact that I could chose the spring rates i wanted... and be able to change rates fairly cheaply.
    I did have to get the Koni-Tool fabbed to fit the Koni DA shocks in the front.
    I'll blame Sam for not having his springs available few years back lol
    If I were to do it over, I'd go w/ those.
    Now that were on the subject, I think I want to increase the front spring rate and/or lower rear swaybar... I'll start w/ putting back a 19mm... maybe go to 550 in front later.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Thread Information