Results 1 to 13 of 13

Good way to lower.

This is a discussion on Good way to lower. within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; What is the best way to lower our cars? I want it to be done right while still having a ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Good way to lower.

    What is the best way to lower our cars? I want it to be done right while still having a nice smooth ride.

  2. #2
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Springs of your choice, shocks(re-valved bilsteins, Konis, KYB adjustables), adjustable panhard to re-center the rearend, lower control arms with re-location brackets should get you fixed up. You will possibly need a front end alignment as well.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

    Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    14

    white
    98 trans-am

    Y2k,

    When i got my car, it was already lowered. I have a squeaking noise in the rear end when i turn sharp to the right or left. Could this be because the guy didn't do the adjustable panhard to recenter the rearend? Also, are the adjustable lower control arm relocation brackets a must? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm a greenhorn when it comes to the new stuff but i'm having lots of fun learning. I see it doesn't take a whole lot to make these cars git up and go.

  4. #4
    Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,287

    '12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

    if this were to get moved to suspension and chassis, you would get alot more replies...

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    14

    white
    98 trans-am

    Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    if this were to get moved to suspension and chassis, you would get alot more replies...
    thanks

  6. #6
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by mac addair View Post
    Y2k,

    When i got my car, it was already lowered. I have a squeaking noise in the rear end when i turn sharp to the right or left. Could this be because the guy didn't do the adjustable panhard to recenter the rearend? Also, are the adjustable lower control arm relocation brackets a must? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm a greenhorn when it comes to the new stuff but i'm having lots of fun learning. I see it doesn't take a whole lot to make these cars git up and go.
    The adjustable conrtrol arms and relocation brackets are not a must, but beneficial to do. The adjustable panhard is a must IMO if you are lowering. Its really hard to say for sure whether the lack of an adjustable panhard is the cause of your squeaking noise, but its a possibility. It could be lots of other things as well. I would definately invest in an adjustable panhard for now and get your rearend centered up and see if that stops the squeak noise. If it doesn't then you know to look into other areas for your squeak. Hope this helps some.

  7. #7
    Member cobrahunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bay
    Age
    46
    Posts
    504

    Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

    mac addair:

    I went with the non-adjustable control arms...no issues what-so-ever.
    I did not go with the relocation brackets...no problems
    Went with an adjustable panhard...had to re-center the rear; car is lowered
    Control arms with polyurethane bushings can sometimes make creaking noises. Also, a set of subframe connectors can reduce/eliminate creaking

  8. #8
    Member SAGGIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Posts
    994

    RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

    My car isn't lowered but I have the Blistin Suspension and I love it.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    14

    white
    98 trans-am

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    The adjustable conrtrol arms and relocation brackets are not a must, but beneficial to do. The adjustable panhard is a must IMO if you are lowering. Its really hard to say for sure whether the lack of an adjustable panhard is the cause of your squeaking noise, but its a possibility. It could be lots of other things as well. I would definately invest in an adjustable panhard for now and get your rearend centered up and see if that stops the squeak noise. If it doesn't then you know to look into other areas for your squeak. Hope this helps some.
    thanks for the info y2k. I'll get right on the adjustable panhard.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    virginia
    Posts
    14

    white
    98 trans-am

    Quote Originally Posted by cobrahunter View Post
    mac addair:

    I went with the non-adjustable control arms...no issues what-so-ever.
    I did not go with the relocation brackets...no problems
    Went with an adjustable panhard...had to re-center the rear; car is lowered
    Control arms with polyurethane bushings can sometimes make creaking noises. Also, a set of subframe connectors can reduce/eliminate creaking
    Thanks for the info.

  11. #11
    Crazy Canuck ! Eugenio_SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Montreal, CANADA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,190

    triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

    select the springs that meets your needs than chose shocks that will dampen those springs well.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    fresno, ca
    Posts
    27
    depending on how low you go the relocation brackets can be a must. your lca needs to be level at ride height, or close to it. if you slam it, and dont reposition the lca your instant center will be all screwed up and cause mostly acceleration and traction issues.just try to keep that bad boy level and you should be fine. as far as the squeek it could be anything, but like ss said start with a track bar and recenter your rear end if you have poly bushings and they are in a bind they will squeek for sure. hope this helps.

  13. #13
    Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,485

    Blood Red
    Z28

    Pick out some springs with the rates that will be good for you (street, track, both) and then select the right shocks to dampen the new set-up!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help: Must lower my SS...
    By Raptor Avionics in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2010, 07:17 AM
  2. To lower or not to lower?
    By b.lee in forum Member's Rides
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 09:13 AM
  3. WS6 Lower Ram Air box
    By miraclesLS1 in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2008, 06:55 AM
  4. lower tire press. higher ET, higher press lower ET???
    By greatwhiteZ28 in forum Drag Racing
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-20-2007, 06:57 PM
  5. To lower or not to lower...
    By DLove23 in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 08:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •