Good enough "basic" suspension list?

This is a discussion on Good enough "basic" suspension list? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Hey guys! I've done some search and I decided to do some suspension mods. I'm new to suspension modding so ...

Black
    02 Convertible Z28 Camaro

Good enough "basic" suspension list?

Hey guys! I've done some search and I decided to do some suspension mods. I'm new to suspension modding so please bear with me. It's my first time so I just want to do the "basics." I own a 2002 Camaro Z28 vert with 16,xxx miles.

Suspension List:
    -Strano springs
    -Koni SA 4/4
    -BMR Convertible Subframe Connector tubular weld-in
    -UMI Dual side adjustable Panhard rod
    -UMI tubular adjustable Lower control arms
    -UMI Lower control arm relocation brackets.
    -TTII's (or ZR1s) 17x9.5 and 17x11

My questions are:
    **Are there any items on this list that are special made for coupes and/or t-tops, but not verts, and vise versa???** I wouldn't want to purchase an item that isn't compatible with a vert.

-Can I still seat passengers in the back seat and still have 11s out back, without rubbing? I've read only 2 people had rubbing issues, but are these problems common?

-I know that LCAs transfer all noises since they are metal, but are there any type of finishes (polyurethane ends, poly/spherical ends, etc.) that are somewhat quiet?

-Are relocation brackets preferred as, bolt-in or weld-in? Is it recommended I change my lower control arms also?

-Im planning to get a 12 bolt in the future, will there be any complications installing it after the suspension mods?

PLEASE let me know if I'm missing anything or if I should add anything to the suspension list. I want to do this right the first time. Any advice and suggestions welcome. THANKS!!!

Black

ttt

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

To answer your first question, everything you have listed will work fine with your vert. SFC's are the biggest difference among verts/coupes suspension wise. Most other suspension components are the same among verts/coupes.

I don't think you will have rubbing issues, but the only real way you will know the answer to your second question is to try it and find out.

I have boxed LCA's with poly/rubber bushings. I don't hear anything from them. If you have exhaust work done to your car, chances are you won't hear anything from them anyways

Bolting in relocation brackets will get the job done, welds are going to be stronger than bolt in though. If you are planning to get a 12 bolt soon, I would probably just stick to bolting the relocation brackets on for now, so you could use them on your 12 bolt as well.

The only suspension related complications I know of with getting a 12 bolt is some aftermarket sway bars don't fit the Moser 12 and issues with aftermarket torque arms. With what you have listed above, you should be fine once you get a 12 bolt.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black

Thanks for your help!!! I'll order the parts tomorrow.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

You should get the Strano sway bar kit while your at it. That really does wonders.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    You should get the Strano sway bar kit while your at it. That really does wonders.
    Yea i thought about that too, but i dont know what size to get. i also dont want under/oversteering problems. i'll do more search on that plus, i cant afford it right now.
    what size do you suggest btw?

thanks!

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by Kaotikid View Post
    Yea i thought about that too, but i dont know what size to get. i also dont want under/oversteering problems. i'll do more search on that plus, i cant afford it right now.
    what size do you suggest btw?

thanks!
    The kit I'm talking about is one that Sam Strano developed. It's a 35mm front and 22mm rear. The kit comes with every thing you need to bolt them on. STR-35M/22MM is the part number of the kit. Hop on stranoparts.com and take a look.

Thread Information