Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front Sway bar

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Front Sway bar

I have always heard that removing your front sway bar will help you get a better launch. Is there any truth to this or any negative consequences on the car itself?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

You might lose a little weight by removing it, but not enough to make a difference IMO. Plus your car won't handle as well. Unless it's strictly a drag car I don't think I'd worry about it.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

/\ What he said. Most people pull it at the drag strip to help with getting the weight off the nose of the car to aid in weight transfer.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Sounds good thanks for the help.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

One guy I know in particular runs on the road w/o it. I don't know if I would do it on the road but removing it certainly helps w/ weight transfer. Remove that, passenger seat and rear seat and you almost got a 100lbs out

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I removed mine and noticed it rolls A LOT more.

I let it sit six months over the winter and went for a drive in it again. It wasn't such a drastic change anymore and I don't mind it being off. So I never put it back on.

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

Well I decided to take it off and I did notice alot of body roll. But it also raised the car up about an inch on the front. But it brings me to another point recently my car seems to pull to the left and right randomly. Also the steering wheel shakes a good bit. Was wondering if anyone has this problem? I don't think it has anything to do with the sway bar, though. I have had the car aligned and I did not fix the problem.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

It didn't pull at all before the removal?

Black
    1998 Z28 Camaro

It did some but by removing the sway bar it greatly applified how much it pulls. And like i said it pulls in random directions.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Is this over rough roads?

Mine does that too, but on smooth roads, like concrete interstates, it doesn't pull and drives straight...

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I removed mine last year for the track. The front does seem to roll more, there's no doubt about that. I don't mind street driving it like that really, but now that I have Koni 4/4's to install, I might wanna get it back on.

It does seem to show some improvement for weight transfer at the track. Also, you don't have to remove it totally... just remove one end.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Losing the sway bar or disconnecting one end helps the front end lift and weight transfer, let alone losing a couple pounds. I took mine off years ago, didn't notice any difference, so I just left it off.

1998 Z-28 A4

Does a strut tower brace help to transfer weight? I have one already and was thinking about removing the front sway bar? If I do these will it infer with how the car drives?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by HitManLs1 View Post
    Does a strut tower brace help to transfer weight?
    No, useless for drag racing.

1998 Z-28 A4

Will it help with the control of the car if I take the front sway bar off?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by HitManLs1 View Post
    Will it help with the control of the car if I take the front sway bar off?
    No, it makes it worse for the street and corner driving (even tho I don't really notice any difference) just makes you hook up better on launch at the track.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

The reason your having steering trouble is because you removed the "stablizer bar" (proper name fyi) As long as it's not present the car will handle poorly even unpredictable @ times.. Your car is now relying on the rear stablizer to control all of the cars lateral roll.. You are experiancing suspension float.. I'd venture to say that leaving it off could cause the rear sway bar linkages to break.. This will most likely result in a crash.... I would reinstall it immediately.......
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    The reason your having steering trouble is because you removed the "stablizer bar" (proper name fyi) As long as it's not present the car will handle poorly even unpredictable @ times.. Your car is now relying on the rear stablizer to control all of the cars lateral roll.. You are experiancing suspension float.. I'd venture to say that leaving it off could cause the rear sway bar linkages to break.. This will most likely result in a crash.... I would reinstall it immediately.......
    Smittro, I don't know how much drag racing you do or experience with the little extras people do to hook but this is pretty common practice.

Plenty of people remove or unhook the front sway bar and drive thousands of miles like that. Myself included. It does affect the handling, but sometimes its just easier to leave it off if your going to the track twice a week. No damage will occur from leaving the front sway bar off.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Smittro, I don't know how much drag racing you do or experience with the little extras people do to hook but this is pretty common practice.

Plenty of people remove or unhook the front sway bar and drive thousands of miles like that. Myself included. It does affect the handling, but sometimes its just easier to leave it off if your going to the track twice a week. No damage will occur from leaving the front sway bar off.
    I'm not speaking about drag racing.. I'm speaking of a car that will be hitting public roads.. Disconnecting the syablizer could easily result in a spin that could cause others on the road to be injured.. I could care less about drag racing.. What I do care about is it possibly driving on the same roads as my family aggressively without a KEY componet of his/her suspension...
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-08-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I'm speaking of a car that will be hitting public roads..
    So am I.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information