Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

FINALLY LOWERED!!!!! im so happy

This is a discussion on FINALLY LOWERED!!!!! im so happy within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Speaking of Adjusting TQ arms. THe setting should be -2 on the angle finder right when i install the new ...

Red
    98 Trans Am

Speaking of Adjusting TQ arms. THe setting should be -2 on the angle finder right when i install the new TA? Thats with the car settled on the suspwntion right?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    Speaking of Adjusting TQ arms. THe setting should be -2 on the angle finder right when i install the new TA? Thats with the car settled on the suspwntion right?
    Not quite. You take to messurement..for the life of me I can't remember where tho..

Red
    98 Trans Am

I was just reading on the "other" forum that you take one form the Drive shaft and the other from the pinion and together you get the desired angle at least thats what I interpreted out of it lol

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

I was just reading on the "other" forum that you take one form the Drive shaft and the other from the pinion and together you get the desired angle at least thats what I interpreted out of it lol
    There we go. I knew about the ds..couldn't remember the pinion.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Well got my Adj TA and DS loop installed it today. Took about an hour. Even did a Shop Safety class in the middle of trying to got the torque arm on and figure out my pinion angle. Still gotta do that. In the spirt of install heres a break down.

First off Lift the car
    Get your tools. Pretty basic tools at that. wrenches and Sockets up to about 30mm
    maybe a Grinder
    Ait tools help alot
    Layout you new items

Disconnect the 2 big ass Torque Arm bolts. set em aside.
    Take off the draining hose from thats cliped on the side of the TA. CLip em on the fuel lines or tuck it in there somwhere.
    Loosen the transmission Mount bolts. (3 on Autos, dont know about manuals
    Pull out the old TA and toss that old light flemsy piece of stamped steel aside lol

- Now if your installing a DS Loop now is a good time cause the TA out.
    simpley unbolt the Drive shaft, lower it (you can let it hang for a sec), position the DS loop into place and thread in the bolts. DONT torque it down yet. Bolt the DS loop back in. LEave the DS loop for last to Torque down, more on this after TA is in.

Back to TA install
    Now if you havnt installed a TA relo mount yet, your gonna hve to modify your clam shell to recieve the new TA bushing. ANd yes, this would be a good tim eto install your Tranny Relo mount NO your old one wont work so dont ask.

-Take out the small part and grind off the rivets and the metal backing part that is actualy attached to the old bushing, not the actual clam shell. Now with autos you cant really get the top and one of the bottom bolts out so your gonna have to swing it back and both to get at the other side of the clam shell mounting. Grind the inside of the other side of the clam shell to get the other half of the bushing out. Take your time and DONT CUT YOUR FUEL AND BRAKE LINES!! (i didnt, just thought to put that in there)
    ONce you got the old bushing out, lube up the new poly bushing and put it in. Its gonna be a tight fit so take your time. Get the locking part in and get that top bolt back in. ITs gonna be hard. Get all the other bolts in and tighten them up. Dont Torque em yet.

-Now for the New TQ arm. This guy is heavy so be carful. Lube the end of the torque arm and get it in the bushing hole and push. HARD. Then slowly line it up. Now either use your old TA bolts OR install the recommended new hardware thats longer and stronger. Now if you have a regular one, just Torque everything down and your down.

-If you have an Adj TA nows for the hard technical part. Adjusting the Pinion angle. NOw if your like me and moved the angle around to get it to get on the pumpkin your previous alignment of 0 is gone. SO i got it to where it looks semi decent and now im gonna do my homework to see how to do this right lol. Ill get it on here later but for now Torque down everything: the Bushing bolts, DS loop bolts, All bolts attached to the TA and VEOLA!!! you got a TA, DS loop (or actual tunnel mount if you went this route), and a Tranny relo mount (ill be getting one later)

Heres my goodies and some things i did.

More pics will follow with everything installed and adjusting the Pinion angle.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Some after install pics to add

very nice...you feel a diff?

that exhaust looks like its seen better days lol

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird-WS6 View Post
    very nice...you feel a diff?

that exhaust looks like its seen better days lol
    lol yeah the exhuast is a work in progress. Thinking of getting a different catback but not sure. Thinking of a LMII. Getting other stuff first. Like this stuff lol

Handling wise, it feels like its more responsive turning and when i launch it feels more planted. Tell you what though, the UMI torque arm is a serious piece of equipment. Very stout and heavy. THinking maybe i should have gotten the Chromoly one lol

Red
    98 Trans Am

an update/info

I did a panhard support rod and now im having geometry issues AGAIN lol its actually an easy fix. theres a mounting adaptor that jegs sells that lowers the drivers side portion of the panhard mount so that the panhard support and the panhard itself dont contact each other when you have a lowered car. wish UMI or someone would make that thing though. Jegs charges like $79 bucks for it.

Red
    98 Trans Am

And fixed lol installed this about a week ago.

Definatly was one of the easist mods ive done
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 05-02-2011 at 04:19 AM.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

And fixed lol installed this about a week ago.
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Definatly was one of the easist mods ive done
    what is that piece for??
    im lowering my car will i need this for that or just recommended?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98maro View Post
    what is that piece for??
    im lowering my car will i need this for that or just recommended?
    It's a relocation bracket for the driver's side mounting of the pan hard bar. Typically you do not need this unless you run true duals. Some people get it when they are lowered since the exhaust coming up over the axle comes pretty close to the upper pan hard bar support once lowered.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

thanks alot jon.. i thought it was needed.. i was getting upset already,,lol

the other bar on top of the panhard bar,, what is that for?
    is that recommended to upgrade to a better piece?

Red
    98 Trans Am

typically no, but for more "stiffening" and to run true duals over the panhard, thats what this is for. the driverside panhard mouting relocation thing is actually needed if your lowered and you have done what i have done and ran the panhard support relocation bar. Its simply that, its a support bar but i liked how it looked and is pretty solid too so i installed that when i got my adj phr too. I like it. lol

Impounded
    say demon. hows that ride withe the springs/shock set up

Red
    98 Trans Am

Loving the handling, cant believe it took me this long to move to the Konis and the Vogtlands are perfect for my style of driving. They are bit "softer" then stranos in sping rate but perform pretty good for what i do around germany. What i like is that they only lower an 1.25" which with what i have is perfect for me. I have my shocks set to full soft in the rear and 3 or 4 clicks from soft on fronts. This is the "recommended" street setting for most setups with stranos/vogtland springs. You can change it when ever you want but this is a good street/starting setup. I like it.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird WS6 View Post
    thats what Sam told me as well
    Yep, same here. Started the install today. I had to use a spring compressor to get the rear springs out. Something tells me the beefed up UMI Torque arm holds the rear end up more than stock. No problem but I've not heard of this before.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Hey, do you have some better (close-up) photos of the Jegs driver side bracket with the support bar welded in place?

Thanks!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Joshua, it's looking real good.

Are you having any issues with the DSL scrapping?

I got the TA relocate kit with my full length TA because my exhaust dips low enough that the damn speed bumps used to tap it till I made some cuts and welds to get it tucked up some more. But the DSL would not clear anything if I had gotten it. My car rides so low I wave high to grasshoppers sometimes.

Red
    98 Trans Am

lol no prob with my DS loop. I have the regular one not the LT header version. i every so often slightly scrap on really big speed humps but thats about it. yes HUMPS not bumps lol

Oh and i think th weldin support bar are for other applications since i believe this is a multi use part. But it works great. It keeps the panhard from smacking the support bar lol

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information