Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Feedback on KYB adjustables versus Konis

This is a discussion on Feedback on KYB adjustables versus Konis within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Any of the Koni's would drive a lot better, and might help the wheelhop as well since it can come ...

White
    2001 Z28

Any of the Koni's would drive a lot better, and might help the wheelhop as well since it can come from underdamping of the unsprung weight (poor compression damping). However, wheelhop can stem from lots of things and different LCA settings and a TA change might be required. Tires also effect it (both size and grip levels).

In short, pick a Koni based on which rear shock you want. You can spend less, but the adjustment is more involved and has fewer, as in 4 settings (set of 4/3's), or a bit more money but with much easier adjustment and infinite settings withing the range (4/4's).

The fact you have turned the shocks up and down and noticed no real change makes me think you have at least one that's broken. If AGX's do anything, they do get a lot stiffer as you turn them up.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Sam, what would you recommend as far as the best way to go? The cars stock and I was thinking Strano springs and maybe QA1 double adjustables...Or do you think the Konis are a better way to go?

White
    2001 Z28

I think QA1's are among the worst thing you could do for shocks, personally. Putting Koni and QA1 in the same sentence is akin to comparing a Ferrari to a Fiat.

I'd sooner recommend AGX's than QA1's, as they work better (and cost less). KYB's aren't Koni's and shocks are super, super key to making the cars work right so that's what I always recommend above all, but recognized and respect that not everyone can swing them.

I only ask you think long, and hard about the shocks. And if you opt away from Koni you do so because of a reason beyond price (assuming you can afford them). What I mean is that some folks are cheap and will buy on price alone... that's a mistake where shocks are concerned (and more money isn't always better as the QA1's aren't cheap or what I'd use). However where Koni's and 4th gens are concerned you get what you pay for.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information