Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Eibach's

This is a discussion on Eibach's within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; So, I thought rear shocks were supposed to he easy. I cannot get the top nut to break free from ...

So, I thought rear shocks were supposed to he easy. I cannot get the top nut to break free from the shock. The whole thing just spins. Any thoughts/help would be appreciated. I am thinking I need to get a ratcheting wrench & cresent. I tried holding the shock & turning the nut, I tried pliers, I wasted an hour & a half (and anyone with kids, mine are 6 & 1, knows that time in the garage is rare).

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefish View Post
    So, I thought rear shocks were supposed to he easy. I cannot get the top nut to break free from the shock. The whole thing just spins. Any thoughts/help would be appreciated. I am thinking I need to get a ratcheting wrench & cresent. I tried holding the shock & turning the nut, I tried pliers, I wasted an hour & a half (and anyone with kids, mine are 6 & 1, knows that time in the garage is rare).
    A wrench and vice grips works great. Use one hand to hold the stud with the vice grips and break the nut loose with the wrench.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Thanks...gotta date with them again tonight. Hopefully, this time I score.

Damn if those f-ers weren't hard as hell to get off!!! I eventually has to order a "Shock removal tool" off Amazon. Once it got here, they were cake to get off. Finally got my rear suspension parts on. Once I get a sway bar, I will be done. Then it will be SFC's, Torque arm relocation, & a new torque arm. Still trying to decide if I even want to bother lowering or just selling my Eibachs. Still need to put the Bilsteins on the front too. Are there any write-ups on that?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Jons way sounds to be the best if you run a factory size tire, my 315s needed every bit of room so I aligned my rear to give equal room from each tire to the inside of the wheel well.
    Sorry this is off topic BUT.....what size are the wheels you have on those 315`s?...Did you have any clearance issues? I know you have aftermarket wheels.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Sorry this is off topic BUT.....what size are the wheels you have on those 315`s?...Did you have any clearance issues? I know you have aftermarket wheels.
    They are 17x11s and I rolled my quarter panels as well as some hammering as well as cutting off the bumpstops.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Thanks!

NBM
    2002 Trans AM WS.6

They are 17x11s and I rolled my quarter panels as well as some hammering as well as cutting off the bumpstops.
    What's up tater? You helped answer some questions for me last year when I rebuilt my suspension. I had to register again this year with a new user name. It was jnix, incase you remember. Anyway, thanks again. I was wondering, does your frame hit your axle now without your bump stops?
    WS.6~LM Exhaust w/quad SS tips~Lowered w/Eibach Springs, Bilstein HD shocks, UMI tubular LCAs w/ relo bracket, UMI adjustable on car PHB~UMI front 35mm/rear 22mm sway bars~UMI 2 point SFCs~UMI STB~Volant CAI~Diablo Predator Performance Tune

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

The name does sound familiar, welcome back. To answer your question, I haven't bottomed out without the bumpstops but my rear suspension is pretty stiff at the moment with my setup so that makes a big difference. But then again I've cut the bumpstops off every car I've owned and never had a problem

NBM
    2002 Trans AM WS.6

The name does sound familiar, welcome back. To answer your question, I haven't bottomed out without the bumpstops but my rear suspension is pretty stiff at the moment with my setup so that makes a big difference. But then again I've cut the bumpstops off every car I've owned and never had a problem
    Thanks tater. I can't remember, are you lowered? I just had to replace my bump stops with poly type, because I was hitting metal when I hit bumps. In your opinion, is it Better overall
    To have our cars lowered or stock? As far as fitting aftermarket wheels and exhaust, etc..?

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Nixon View Post
    Thanks tater. I can't remember, are you lowered? I just had to replace my bump stops with poly type, because I was hitting metal when I hit bumps. In your opinion, is it Better overall
    To have our cars lowered or stock? As far as fitting aftermarket wheels and exhaust, etc..?
    I know you didnt ask me but........IMHO> I prefer a car with a lower center of gravity,although if you go too low that ''can'' cause all kinds of different geometric problems... If you do it right and spend the money on it its better..... There are some that believe that stock is best,dont mess with the way a car was designed ....Its a matter of opinion and taste too and what your going to be using the car for....Maybe this question should be polled????? I like `em lowered they corner better,look better etc.....
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 03-22-2013 at 02:53 PM.

NBM
    2002 Trans AM WS.6

I know you didnt ask me but........IMHO> I prefer a car with a lower center of gravity,although if you go too low that ''can'' cause all kinds of different geometric problems... If you do it right and spend the money on it its better..... There are some that believe that stock is best,dont mess with the way a car was designed ....Its a matter of opinion and taste too and what your going to be using the car for....Maybe this question should be polled????? I like `em lowered they corner better,look better etc.....
    A poll is a great idea! And I really appreciate anyones feed back. When we make decisions to do a mod on our cars, it either requires our money, our time or both. So IMHO, i think everybody's opinion can possibly help us save some of it.
    So is there a specific way to start a poll on this site?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Stock height gives you more clearance on the road, for suspension and its travel, exhaust room, and wheel room.

The only advantage of being lowered is having a lower center of gravity which makes the car handle better. The stance also looks better. The con is a harsher ride, less clearance for everything, cost (if you do it right like I mentioned in the other thread), and slightly worse launch characteristics.

With that said, you can still make everything work on a lowered car. I am lowered 1.2" with Sam's springs and have no issues with any of my suspension components...and I have a lot of upgrades.
    It's on jackstands.

NBM
    2002 Trans AM WS.6

I am going to wait and see how my car looks after I get the new wheels and tires, then decide if I will raise it back up. I am also lowered 1.25" with my Eibach's. I plan on putting on headers as well, probably next year. But the real reason to raise it, would be to add the West Wings front lip. To me it would complete the car, it is like something GM forgot to put on the car

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Stock height gives you more clearance on the road, for suspension and its travel, exhaust room, and wheel room.

The only advantage of being lowered is having a lower center of gravity which makes the car handle better. The stance also looks better. The con is a harsher ride, less clearance for everything, cost (if you do it right like I mentioned in the other thread), and slightly worse launch characteristics.

With that said, you can still make everything work on a lowered car. I am lowered 1.2" with Sam's springs and have no issues with any of my suspension components...and I have a lot of upgrades.
    I am going to wait and see how my car looks after I get the new wheels and tires, then decide if I will raise it back up. I am also lowered 1.25" with my Eibach's. I plan on putting on headers as well, probably next year. But the real reason to raise it, would be to add the West Wings front lip. To me it would complete the car, it is like something GM forgot to put on the car
    I agree with jon and theres always a pro and con to almost anything we can do with our cars,and yeah your right about waiting to see how it will work with your West Wings front lip- I always thought my SS would look better with something more to it too! .... as it is the front of my stock height(BOO!- no money to lower correctly yet!!) SS will scrape on really steep driveways if im not careful! -and i am!! But yeah for sure putting any body kit on any part of the lower portion of it may be cutting it close.

01 SS

Want some insurance in preventing bottom out without bump stops, throw a couple air bags in place. Lowered, no stops....

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by xssv View Post
    Want some insurance in preventing bottom out without bump stops, throw a couple air bags in place. Lowered, no stops....

Click for full size
    Yup another good idea....but i think you just wanted to show off your kick-ass dual exhaust on this pic too... i would too.....Killer set up xssv....looks great!!

NBM
    2002 Trans AM WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by xssv View Post

Click for full size
    This is my first TA and it is very clean with its 115k miles. But it makes me want to buy a new one with under 10k when I see the under side of a car like this.

Arctic White
    2002 SS Camaro

This is NOT where you want to skimp. There are plenty of other areas in the build where you can save a dime. Do yourself a favor and just get the Strano's, and an adj. panhard bar is a must, don't let anybody tell you it isn't because if you don't properly locate the rear end it will only cause problems down the road, and not that far down the road either. You can run like that or a short while but you will want to save up for some decent dampers as well because the factory shocks just were not designed for the new geometry of the lowered suspension and they will wear out incredibly fast and you're ride will suffer greatly. I personally prefer Koni dual adj all the way around, that's me though, I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I didn't read all the comments so I apologize if I have just repeated a bunch of crap. Bottom line is just call Sam Strano, he is a stand up guy and will get you set up perfectly to your needs.

01 SS

Yup another good idea....but i think you just wanted to show off your kick-ass dual exhaust on this pic too... i would too.....Killer set up xssv....looks great!!
    Thanks....and I held back a little.

This is my first TA and it is very clean with its 115k miles. But it makes me want to buy a new one with under 10k when I see the under side of a car like this.
    Thank you....fwiw you have about 100k more than I do so its pretty easy to keep this way. Bunch of new stuff doesn't hurt. Hope my suggestion helps you pic a direction.

Also notice you're in Farmington Hills. Work there and live a 30 min away. Check out mifbody.com when you get a minute. Great local fbody site, good guys, lots of events. Lol, don't mention "OVRKILL" (my screen name there)....may get you banned right out of the gate
    Last edited by xssv; 03-24-2013 at 11:37 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information