Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Drilled and Slotted Rotors

This is a discussion on Drilled and Slotted Rotors within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by Demon_Z28 my brakes are very quiet, Ceramic pads FTW! what rotors are you using?...

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by Demon_Z28 View Post
    my brakes are very quiet, Ceramic pads FTW!
    what rotors are you using?

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Demon_Z28 View Post
    my brakes are very quiet, Ceramic pads FTW!
    I despise ceramic now... I have had so many rotors warp from those pads... they are also very prone to cracking... maybe if I had special rotors...

I went to carbon-metallic, and I don't think I'll ever go back. No dust, very quiet, very strong brakes... Long-lasting too...

sixty9fordkiller
    Maybe you used a low quality ceramic like Raybestos Quiet Stops, RoadProven ARI pads, or EBS Kevlar/Ceramic and thats why you got the unwanted results!Carbon Metallic is definitely the way to go if you want the sickest stopping power under extremely harsh conditions! Formula 1 and Nascar use them for that same reason! Only downfall is that they dont have the same stopping power under regular driving conditions. They have to really be heated up in order for them to stop! For heavy track performance they are tough to beat because they are consistent even up over 400ish degrees! For everyday and high performance street use (ie stop and go use and redlight to redlight and mild to moderate track use go with the Akebono ProAct Ceramic! My co-worker's blue Silverado in my avatar has Performance Friction Carbon Met on it right now! And he says they are really bad and wont stop his truck even without the trailer and 2 quads on it like the Akebonos used to! 12 inch lift! 22" wheels on 37inch TOYO MudTerrains! We distribute brakes were i work at so the sales reps to all the brands we distribute give us free brakes (rotors, calipers, friction (aka brake pads), hoses) You name it! We carry a rediculous variety of brands StopTech, Bendix, Akebono, Sumitomo, Nissin, Axxis, ATE, Jurid, Pagid, Ferodo, Posi-Quiet (the pads that come with the StoPTech kits), Performance Friction, Raybestos and we stopped carrying EBC's all together because of severe problems we were having with them! So im not biased towards any of them being that i can get any of these for free! By far....the 2 best pads we have are the Akebono ProActs and Performance Friction depending on what kind of performance you are looking for! Hope it helps!
    Last edited by sixty9fordkiller; 02-19-2008 at 04:15 PM. Reason: additional info!

Quote Originally Posted by sixty9fordkiller View Post
    Maybe you used a low quality ceramic like Raybestos Quiet Stops, RoadProven ARI pads, or EBS Kevlar/Ceramic and thats why you got the unwanted results!Carbon Metallic is definitely the way to go if you want the sickest stopping power under extremely harsh conditions! Formula 1 and Nascar use them for that same reason! Only downfall is that they dont have the same stopping power under regular driving conditions. They have to really be heated up in order for them to stop! For heavy track performance they are tough to beat because they are consistent even up over 400ish degrees! For everyday and high performance street use (ie stop and go use and redlight to redlight and mild to moderate track use go with the Akebono ProAct Ceramic! My co-worker's blue Silverado in my avatar has Performance Friction Carbon Met on it right now! And he says they are really bad and wont stop his truck even without the trailer and 2 quads on it like the Akebonos used to! 12 inch lift! 22" wheels on 37inch TOYO MudTerrains! We distribute brakes were i work at so the sales reps to all the brands we distribute give us free brakes (rotors, calipers, friction (aka brake pads), hoses) You name it! We carry a rediculous variety of brands StopTech, Bendix, Akebono, Sumitomo, Nissin, Axxis, ATE, Jurid, Pagid, Ferodo, Posi-Quiet (the pads that come with the StoPTech kits), Performance Friction, Raybestos and we stopped carrying EBC's all together because of severe problems we were having with them! So im not biased towards any of them being that i can get any of these for free! By far....the 2 best pads we have are the Akebono ProActs and Performance Friction depending on what kind of performance you are looking for! Hope it helps!
    So what do you recommend to go with then that is similar to the EBC rotors i like? I just want everyday driving performance, low dust, and descent life for a my ta. What kind of pads for that?

sixty9fordkiller
    even with the factory rotors, you'll get better stopping power with the Akebono ProActs than if you run EBC RedStuffs or GreenStuffs with their pathetic rotors! As far as Xdrilled and Slotted rotors go, You can use SportStop Stage 2 rotors. They are stock size and you could run your stock calipers.

Front Pad Part# In Akebono ProAct: ACT749
    Rear Pad Part# In Akebono ProAct: ACT750

Ive attached a picture of a SportStop Stage 2 rotor. Its not for an Fbody. I just opened the first one within reach for picture purposes only!

Last edited by sixty9fordkiller; 02-20-2008 at 09:17 AM.

thanks man . . i'm checkin out prices on both as i type this lol . . . you really think the EBC rotors wont be good even with the Akebono ProActs

sixty9fordkiller
    They'll work good! I'm just saying that if you havent invested in EBC rotors yet, you're factory rotors will do the job and if you want to invest in Xdrilled Slotted rotors, dont go with the EBCs because you could get a better quality rotor for the same or maybe even a little less $$$. Trust me, we had EBC stuff here a while back...ive never seen brakes comeback in the conditions that we used to get on those! It was scary thinking those brakes were on cars the way they came back!

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

im running the ws6 stores drilled/slotted rotors and autozones ceramic pads and am very happy all around......cost was just under 300.00 for both ends....i'll post up pics later

i cant find the sportstops anywhere gotta link to a supplier . .
    astyles are you running the ebcs? yeah post up some pics!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Stock rotors.
    Delco pads.

2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Black
    2000 TA

http://www.bsibrakes.com/index.asp?p...ducts&item=974

This is what I'm getting, not a bad price either

Quote Originally Posted by 980birds View Post
    http://www.bsibrakes.com/index.asp?p...ducts&item=974

This is what I'm getting, not a bad price either
    I do like those! And that is an awesome price for rotors and pads. Wonder how good they are? Have you heard of any body having them?

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

I installed Triton S&D rotors (eBay purchase for around $150 F&R) over a year ago with Duralast ceramic pads (<$100, F&R) from Auto Zone.

The rotors have impressed me with the plating. They have not formed any rust whatsoever. Still look good as new. The pads are okay. Braking is very good, strong yet not overwhelming. At 60 and under, braking is quiet, but if you go at higher speeds and start some hard braking, they will roar some. No wobble or weird feelings, just a bit noisy. I cleaned up the stock rotors and re-used them. Very clean with minimal brake dusting. Overall, the braking is improved over stock and looks much better. I would say the braking was maybe improved by 10%. Looks even more.

Black
    2000 TA

A couple of people on tech have them and love them

any body runnin these or heard anything about them ?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...spagenameZWDVW

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    any body runnin these or heard anything about them ?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...spagenameZWDVW
    Those seem pricey. With shipping they are over $100 apiece. Mine were no where near that expensive, work well and still look new.

It's your call though.

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Those seem pricey. With shipping they are over $100 apiece. Mine were no where near that expensive, work well and still look new.

It's your call though.
    yeah they are expensive. . . no on those. i definately have yours as a possibility

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    yeah they are expensive. . . no on those. i definately have yours as a possibility
    I got 'em off eBay. Search for Triton rotors. I think I was one of the first to buy 'em when they started selling there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information