RED
    2000 Camaro SS

DOT 3 / Dot 4 brake fluid question?

I just installed slotted and cross drilled rotors with Hwak HPS pads. I want to change the fluid to DOT 4 without draining it out of the calipers.

The plan is to suck out the fluid from the resivor before I pump it into the calipers and fill with DOT 4. Can this be done, or should I stick with DOT 3?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Just go with Valvoline SynPower Synthetic Brake Fluid. It meets both DOT 3 and DOT 4 specs, so its compatible with both. Just get as much of the old fluid out as you can, and top it off with the Valvoline.

This is it:

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Just go with Valvoline SynPower Synthetic Brake Fluid. It meets both DOT 3 and DOT 4 specs, so its compatible with both. Just get as much of the old fluid out as you can, and top it off with the Valvoline.

This is it:

Click for full size

Hope that helps.
    I would agree, it is the same stuff I use in my motorcycle without any problems.
    Last edited by jperkins812; 08-18-2007 at 07:21 PM. Reason: misspelled word

RED
    2000 Camaro SS

I'll have to check that out. I did find out you can't mix DOT 3 with DOT 4, so I would have to flush the system. I may flush it with that.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by davered00ss View Post
    I'll have to check that out. I did find out you can't mix DOT 3 with DOT 4, so I would have to flush the system. I may flush it with that.
    Well you won't need to flush the system if you use the Valvoline, because its compatible with both.

Conventional DOT 3 isn't comptible with conventional DOT 4, but the Valvoline can mix with either, since it meets both specifications. Similar to the new "All Makes All Models" Antifreeze they have now, you can't mix green and orange, but the new stuff is compatible with both.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

...but another important suggestion: break fluid attracts water, it ages. if it's older than two years, you should replace it.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

yes, brake fluid is hygroscopic, or attracts water. also, over the years, the brake fluid deteriorates the rubber brake hoses. just like any other fluid/oil, it needs to be changed because the viscosity breaks down. flushing the system is a great idea. this will firm up the brake pedal.

flushing the system is nothing more than replacing the old fluid with new. the master clyinder has a screen in it. what i do is start bleeding the system until the reservoir is just about empty. then fill it with whatever you are going to use and keep bleeding the entire system at each caliper until you see it change colors. i start with the left front, then right front, left rear, and finally the right rear.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Thread Information