View Poll Results: Do/Did you regret purchasing lowering springs?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. Handles better and looks sweet!

121 76.58%
  • Yes. Handled too rough and I bottom out everywhere!

37 23.42%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Do/Did you regret buying lowering springs?

This is a discussion on Do/Did you regret buying lowering springs? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Last thursday i got my car back from lowering with Strano's and Konis 4/4.Ihaven't really tried it out too much ...

Red Orange Metallic
    1998 Trans Am 6spd

Last thursday i got my car back from lowering with Strano's and Konis 4/4.Ihaven't really tried it out too much but definately corners flatter and rides more sure footed,no bouncing around, but i will be experimenting with different settings on my shocks.I have the stock t/a swaybars so my next upgrade will probably be the stranos hollow swaybars,but thats only if i need them,as far as being lowered it looks and feels great and i don't think its too much.By the way the roads here suck but the Konis just eat em up.

Yellow
    2015 Z06 Coming, 2014 Z51

Quote Originally Posted by frisco88 View Post
    Last thursday i got my car back from lowering with Strano's and Konis 4/4.Ihaven't really tried it out too much but definately corners flatter and rides more sure footed,no bouncing around, but i will be experimenting with different settings on my shocks.I have the stock t/a swaybars so my next upgrade will probably be the stranos hollow swaybars,but thats only if i need them,as far as being lowered it looks and feels great and i don't think its too much.By the way the roads here suck but the Konis just eat em up.
    Did you drop the rear control arms with any type of relocation bracket? - I would imagine that thing would wheel hop big time

Red Orange Metallic
    1998 Trans Am 6spd

I do have adjustable panhard and lca's,but i'm still in testing mode.As far as wheelhop we'll see about that .My main concern is handling and as near as i can tell from reading,not every1 needs relocation brkts,my bars are still perpendicular to the road
    Red Orange Metallic,6spd B&M ripper,SLP lid,SLP LM2 dual dual catback !cags,Ws6 hood,Strano Springs,Konis,Pavlock Polished Aluminum adjustable LCA'S and Panhard
    www.fquick.com/frisco88

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Quote Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
    Just $75.00 - they are easy to install. you can bolt them on or weld

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com...ay.php?gid=161 The link says welding is required but it is not - We highly recommend you tack them in to prevent any movement
    Thats bad ass, I am defenatley going to have to order those, thanks for the link to them

Yellow

I do have adjustable panhard and lca's,but i'm still in testing mode.As far as wheelhop we'll see about that .My main concern is handling and as near as i can tell from reading,not every1 needs relocation brkts,my bars are still perpendicular to the road
    How do you lower the car 4" and still keep the rear arms perpendicular to the road

Red Orange Metallic
    1998 Trans Am 6spd

How do you lower the car 4" and still keep the rear arms perpendicular to the road
    Who lowered my car 4",more like 1-1.5,maybe 1.75 Strano springs don't lower that much.
    b4http://
    afterhttp://

Yellow

I thought I read you lowered it 4 inches - even at 1.5 inches how do you keep the arms straight level with the pavement. - Rear control arm relocation bracket make the car handle better, accelerate better and stop better by helping with brake dive

Red Orange Metallic
    1998 Trans Am 6spd

I thought I read you lowered it 4 inches - even at 1.5 inches how do you keep the arms straight level with the pavement. - Rear control arm relocation bracket make the car handle better, accelerate better and stop better by helping with brake dive
    1st i not saying they are perfectly straight,but right now i don't need to add relocation brackets,maybe in the future ,all i'm saying is that the car handles better with the shocks and springs and as of now i don't find any adverse effects on my braking,its been 6 days only and i want to play with my shock adjustments and see where i go from there,sway bars ,relocation brackets,sub frame connecters,which more and more people say i don't need,i still have alot of reading to do.

Yellow

1st I not saying they are perfectly straight, but right now I don't need to add relocation brackets, maybe in the future ,all Iím saying is that the car handles better with the shocks and springs and as of now I don't find any adverse effects on my braking, its been 6 days only and I want to play with my shock adjustments and see where I go from there, sway bars ,relocation brackets, sub frame connecters, which more and more people say I don't need, I still have a lot of reading to do.
    I am with you 100%. Not trying to force any parts on you. Just trying to share my experiences. I got my first Camaro in 1980 and really enjoyed driving the car. But in 1982, when the Gen 3 hit the ground running I was all over it. 2 years later we purchased an '84 model and turned it into an 800hp streetable monster then I drove to school everyday and to the Bonneville Salt Flats where we went 231 mph. This is a record we help for many years. We still have the car and since then it has gone 263mph with just a few upgrades. It still has the A/C, cell phone (remember in the 80ís the phone was bolted to the car) and power everything, stock interior, stock wheels with hi speed tires and so on. While we developed the car we naturally had to improve a few other parts of the car. Control arms, Upper and lower Panhard rods, sub frame connecters, G-load braces, k-member support braces, shock tower braces are just a few things we designed for the car. We took what we built for our own car and began to offer these parts to the public. By 1986 we were in full production and in September of í92 we took delivery of our Gen 4 1993 car to design a supercharger system, a turbo system and all the suspension parts you could imagine. I am pretty sure I was the first one to design and offer for sale a complete hi performance torque arm as well. We offered a fixed version and a sliding version.

In 1994 Motor Trend magazine had an F-body shoot out - The best of the best were invited to compete. Vortech built a purpose built car, Lingenfelter showed up with 406 stroker motor and told everyone it was a 383 kit, Hennessey showed up with a fleet of engineers to support their car (this is before the Viper came out) Doug Rippie, who most of you may have forgotten was a heavy hitter at the time. He also showed up with a big stroker motor. And then there was the Granatelli/Paxton car. Needless to say we dominated most of the 3 day test and in the end we were the clear winners. We were one of only 2 cars to pull over 1 g-force on the skid pad and the only car that was driven (never trailered) to each event. Part of the testing was done at Pomona drag strip then we had to drive 100 miles away to the California Highway Patrol testing facility for road course work and then off to El Mirage dry lake bed for some top speed test and photo sessions Ė it was actually very fun but a grueling 3 days

I tell you all this for 2 reasons Ė first and foremost because I just remembered it and I like reminiscing about the days of less stress before the internet guys made everything a bashing session and secondly to explain to a new group of enthusiasts that this is not my first rodeo.

When I read that a person was told that they do not need any type of sub frame connecter I go nuts. These cars from 82 to 02 twist and flex like a rubber band and the single best thing you can do for your car is install sub frame connecters and weld those suckers in too. It is worth the weight of the parts, it has a noticeable increase in handling and gets rid of squeaks and noises that if you do not have now you will sooner then later.

A $75.00 investment for control arm drop brackets is another perfect example. When someone tells you, you donít need them, which is kind of true - you donít need to do anything to the car. They are great handling cars as delivered. But if you take the time to lower the car and make it handle better then changing the controls and installing drop brackets are huge improvements to the way the car works. As for braking, I did not mean to imply that your braking would suffer. What I was trying to convey is that by keeping the cars rear lower control arms straight to the ground the braking gets better. I do agree the stock sway bars work perfect as long as the chassis is stiffened with sub frames

Red Orange Metallic
    1998 Trans Am 6spd

I still have a lot of reading to doWhich is exactly as i will do to further my knowledge of the fbody.When i grew up the most important thing was straight ahead of you and when i got my 70 corvette i realized you could go straight and turn also.As much as i like going straight i luv cornering,so my goal is to make this car a real handler.In no way did i feel you were putting pressure on me just giving advice,which i will take and use in my quest for a handler,i'd like to do 1g on the skid pad and use my car daily in the summer.Thanks for the info and i'll pass some of this to my son who just moved to Los Angeles with his 87 GTA,he also likes handling as much as straight line performance.Thanks Bram

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Looking fwd to having a beer w/ you tomorrow Bram... or should I say today...
    my car is slowly progressing now... should be ready this week.
    the engine is back in one piece w/ front suspension parts and tranny attached... woohoo... now still a good amount of work left to do... but should be on the street next week with an alignment due big-time.
    Let's check your shock settings tomorrow/today and go from there.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

I really need to roll my fenders. I haven't been scraping at the bottom, but there's allot of construction going on right now and my wheels have been scraping the inner fender a bunch recently.

Red
    98 Trans Am

wow im late to the party lol
    got Vogtland springs and loving as of now. Lost some clearance, but kept my rear isolators so i didnt lose too much. Gotta take it easy on the uneven cobble stones in Germany but other than that, pretty sweet and looks kick ass. 1.2" drop. Rides a bit rougher but i also need better shocks to handle em as well. Going to SLP bilsteins soon. Havnt got to test it out fully yet, snowing right now
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 12-14-2010 at 03:33 PM.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

holy thread resurrection, batman!

i still have the stock springs, but also bilsteins and love them. better handling and cobblestone proof. and i'm still happy that i didn't lower my car, i have frequent air dam and tail pipe contact as it is already!

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post

i still have the stock springs, but also bilsteins and love them. better handling and cobblestone proof. and i'm still happy that i didn't lower my car, i have frequent air dam and tail pipe contact as it is already!
    lol yeah, the cobble stone is a BEOOTCH! Cracked my dash and and now im creepin around post even slower lol cant wait til i get some bilsteins as well

silver
    2000 formula

all you have to do is breath on the dash for it to crack.......sure new shocks will make the ride better tho

Yellow

GMS just launched a new website and we want to get a revise email list so we can send offers to all our members.

Long blocks, short blocks, head, headers, twin turbos, suspension - and the list goes on

Please sign up at www.granatellimotorsports.com or email me at jrgranatelli@granatellimotorsports.com and I will handle it from there

http://www.lsxtv.com/features/pri-co...llet-insanity/

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nRheoKC9lE[/ame].

http://www.lsxtv.com/features/pri-co...llet-insanity/

Light Pewter (11)
    2001 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post

You have right, Hamburger 68,

I am living in the Netherlands and i have replaced the 4 shocks, with Koni's SA and replaced the swaybars with 32 and 19mm SS-ones.
    The car handles great, with stock height.

I don't know how it is in Amerika, but in the Netherlands, you can't lower your car, it will hit speed bumps in every town, and ruin your front bumper.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread Information