View Poll Results: Do/Did you regret purchasing lowering springs?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • No. Handles better and looks sweet!

121 76.58%
  • Yes. Handled too rough and I bottom out everywhere!

37 23.42%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Do/Did you regret buying lowering springs?

This is a discussion on Do/Did you regret buying lowering springs? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Ok so Im not to concerned about ride quality but want a spring that lowers between 1"-1.25" and has good ...

sunset orange
    02 SS M6

Ok so Im not to concerned about ride quality but want a spring that lowers between 1"-1.25" and has good drag qualities. I have Koni SA's for the front and undecided on the rear. I just dont want a jaw jarring ride. Theres so many springs out there I dont know where to look. What are some reccomendations? Sorry to bust into this thread...

Thanks,
    Erik
    05 HEMI Ram, 96 Eclipse GST, 02 SS.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

bmr's lower an inch and have very high progressive spring rates.....anyone out there have comments on them?

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ErikElvis View Post
    Ok so Im not to concerned about ride quality but want a spring that lowers between 1"-1.25" and has good drag qualities. I have Koni SA's for the front and undecided on the rear. I just dont want a jaw jarring ride. Theres so many springs out there I dont know where to look. What are some reccomendations? Sorry to bust into this thread...

Thanks,
    Erik
    I would suggest BMR or Hotchkis springs for a kit, or get some Ground Control coilovers for adjustment (you can find them for about $100 more than a spring kit)...

pewter

car handle like its on rails now azreal? just read your sig....nice mods...im dying to upgrade the suspension like yours

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    car handle like its on rails now azreal? just read your sig....nice mods...im dying to upgrade the suspension like yours
    Yeah, the car is very nice now, and much more capable than I ever really push it on the street; although now it will be a blast to AutoX!

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael View Post
    I would suggest BMR or Hotchkis springs for a kit, or get some Ground Control coilovers for adjustment (you can find them for about $100 more than a spring kit)...
    Just a note on the GC coil overs. If you are going to use them with koni DA you have to be real carefull to remove the spring collar it is a bit of a pain to do. You can damage your shock doing this and Koni will not warrantee it. With the SA it not a biggie you can remove the collar with no problems, but in orded to remove the Spring collar in the DA's you need to make a tool to remove the bump adjustment mechanism before you can slide the perch new perch on. Here are some threads that might help you.
    http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...topic=1484&hl=
    http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...1&hl=koni+tool

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_bluebird View Post
    Just a note on the GC coil overs. If you are going to use them with koni DA you have to be real carefull to remove the spring collar it is a bit of a pain to do. You can damage your shock doing this and Koni will not warrantee it. With the SA it not a biggie you can remove the collar with no problems, but in orded to remove the Spring collar in the DA's you need to make a tool to remove the bump adjustment mechanism before you can slide the perch new perch on. Here are some threads that might help you.
    http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...topic=1484&hl=
    http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/index.p...1&hl=koni+tool
    I made up a tool too... works great.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Jesus died to save you! Killer_bluebird's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

I guess I was too "Chicken" to tear down on my expensive shocks.

Red
    2000 SS

I have eibach springs with bilstein shocks, stb, sfc's, lca's, f+r swaybars. Car handles the balls, virtually no body roll, drifts evenly with perfect control. Ride is not harsh at all. Ground clearance can be a problem...especially with a modified exhaust and/or longtubes. It is even more of a problem especially with one or 2 passengers. If 3 passengers....forget about it.....rear suspension will bottom out over the smallest of bumps.

pewter

which eibachs?

Red
    2000 SS

which eibachs?
    Sorry..........Pro Kit

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

i have a really bad habit of parking with the nose of my camaro over the curb. doesn't happen too often, but i guess i still mis-judge the length away i am from something. with the Y3F body kit, i always wind up like one centimeter away from scraping. am i the only camaro owner that has this tendency??? the nose is so damn long on these cars

sunset orange
    02 SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    i have a really bad habit of parking with the nose of my camaro over the curb. doesn't happen too often, but i guess i still mis-judge the length away i am from something. with the Y3F body kit, i always wind up like one centimeter away from scraping. am i the only camaro owner that has this tendency??? the nose is so damn long on these cars
    No Ive come awfully close to scrapin the front end parkin at stock ride height. Thats what really bothers me about lowering.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

can anyone tell me how close you come to scraping with the y3f body kit? i think that'll be a big issue w/ me cuz of the kit. I may just get bigger tires to close up the wheel-well.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Not in the least. My springs (Eibach) have worked out perfectly for me; 100%

Looks great!

Did have to have the rear fenders rolled in a bit to fit my
    Z06 18x10.5 wheels with 285/35ZR18 Nittos

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Wow. Nice car, but how the hell do you drive with speed bumps, potholes, and road imperfections?

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Oh yea, does the bigger tires raise your height a bit?

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Wow. Nice car, but how the hell do you drive with speed bumps, potholes, and road imperfections?
    Speed bumps are usually not a problem. I could probably list the dozen or so REALLY bad speed bumps around town that would give me a little problem; I've learned how to avoid them. Otherwise, I just take the bumps at an angle. Potholes and road imperfections, trust me, I've learned to be quick at the wheel, especially when going faster than 40mph. It's really just a matter of adjusting a bit how I drive.

Oh yea, does the bigger tires raise your height a bit?
    Not really. The tires are bigger, but their profile is lower. If anything, the rears are what gave me a problem at first, because they were too close to the fenders. But after folding the fender lips a bit, and putting in small spacers under the springs to lift the car up just a bit...problem solved.

black
    99 Z28

I just put on my sportlines w/ KYB AGX ADj., Hotchkis PHR, and LCA relo brackets w/ Lakewood non-adj. control arms. LOVE IT!!!!!!!! Ride height is menacing, cornering is awesome w/ virtually no body roll, no road noise, smooth ride, launch is considerably better, clearance only a lil' problem when going over absurdly tall speed bumps and/or potholes. Its a little stiffer than stock, but I cant complain. It still rides smooth and I think a lot of people must have shitty shocks and struts to be experiencing such poor ride qualities as Ive seen reported in the forums. Plus w/ the AGX's you can dial in an even stiffer setup or softer setup. Id say all in all, Its an essential mod to an F-Body for looks and handling.

black
    99 Z28

ok..ok...i just took her out for a good test drive, and I will say that the bumps and road imperfections are slightly annoying..huge bumps=must avoid them, but other than that, its nothing intolerable. I LOVE the handling! I had some fun tonight!!!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information