SOM
    2002 SS

Lightbulb Custom Made VT rear Spring seat isolators !! Any Interest??

Ok so well im a design Engineer for one of the Big 3 (prefer to keep any more detail on that out of the thread please). I didnt want to do the Heater hose mod for a few reasons so i looked for other options.
    I spoke to an oem supplier that I know and because of what I do I had them design a rear upper spring isolator for me that was very thin but would provide a little cushion like the stocker.

A little on my car.. I have ground control coil overs and the rear spring adjusters are at the very bottom and the car still sits a little high. This was with the stock isolator up top. I ended up cutting the rear isolators by 1/2 to 1/3rd of an inch and it did help.. but the cutting wasnt 100% flat and it bothers me when I half ass things. Not to mention the sticky rubber goo everywhere.

Reasons why i didnt wan to do the heater hose mod was that it just didnt feel good to me that the spring isnt flat on top and I didn't liek the idea of the whole cars weight on half a coil on the sheetmetal. An isolator will distribute that load evenly. At least it just felt better to me.

SO back to the isolators... here are the pics...

My stock Isolator. This has already been cut by 1/4 to 1/3rd of an inch using an angle grinder and hacksaw. what a mess...

Spring side of my new Isolator which Ill call a VT isolator. It is a fiberglass/composite like material bonded with Rubber on the spring side and has a stop for the end of the top coil.

My cut OEM isolator Beside the VT isolator. This is the Chassis side. This same material is used directly against steel in its actual application on OEM vehicles.

A shot of the isolator where it will sit on the chassis. Perfect fit.

A shot showing the eibach rear coil close to its sitting position ( to show the stop and fit )

Spring sitting in VT isolator

I have tons of damping material in various thicknesses etc so I just applied some to the chassis for fun. maybe it will stop a tad bit of noise? just made me feel better lol.

I taped the top coil just to hold it in place on the stop in the VT isolator. Made me feel better !

I put a piece of tape on the 2nd coil and just measure with the oem isolator on top. remember that THIS ISOLATOR HAS ALREADY BEEN CUT approx 1/4 to 1/3rd of an inch!

Measure from the exact same spot from the 2nd coil (i put a piece of tape there so I measured from the same spot). Shows exactly 10mm (1CM) drop in height over the OEM. In total I'd say this is an easy 1/2 to 3/4 inch drop over a STOCK UNCUT isolator.

Really a pic of nothing couldnt see much but I thought I'd add it..

The car now sits at a perfect height with an empty tank. definitely sits a tad lower than the previous isolators. I'll add some pics when I get back my camera battery died while I was uploading them..

Tell me your thoughts.

SOM
    2002 SS

Saving post 2 for pics when I get back..

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Are you gauging interest so you can possibly market these?

SOM
    2002 SS

to be honest Ive never really sold a product before but I threw it out there in case anyone else was interested. I am guessing it may be against the rules to ask like that? If so Ill remove it from the post. Im extremely happy how my ss now sits slammed on the HREs and thought it was really cool having a custom proper piece made for me and thought I could share etc.

Really cool!

Nbm
    2000 Camaro SS

Good job. but......a little overboard.

Thread Information