Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Coil Over Shocks

This is a discussion on Coil Over Shocks within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; You didn't take off 120 pounds. A front setup from UMI with CM upper and lower arms is about 35 ...

White
    2001 Z28

You didn't take off 120 pounds. A front setup from UMI with CM upper and lower arms is about 35 less than stock. Even if you take another 10 for a CM K-member it's not near 120 pounds.

Anyway, consider the car has over 1100 pounds on each front corner stock, that's about 2200 pounds or so in total. Even if you took 120 off, hypothetically the difference is 5.5%. 5.5% less than 550 is 520, not 500. And you can't really detect a change in spring rate of less than 10% anyway.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

Got it, great reply. So I am clear, the higher spring rate = striffer? If I'm looking for softer (even I wont feel 10%) the 520 rate would be better?

PS- By the way, thanks for returning my call.
    Last edited by Soltakr; 06-18-2008 at 10:32 AM.

White
    2001 Z28

So you must be Joseph?

520 isn't going to happen, period. My springs are only 550, and if you go coil-over from GC the rates only come in 50 pounds increments.

I think you think softer is better becaue the car rides like ass... am I wrong? Well, the springs you have are 360 front, and it rides that badly. You need enough spring to support the car, or the bumpstops become the springs.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

Correct, and yes my ride is far too stiff. I do hit the bump stops quite often. I have the Koni set on the softest setting and it still tosses my girlfriend around. She gives me this look of "get me the fu*k out of this car"

Aw ha!! "520 isn't going to happen, period. " hahah.. I think I am wearing your patience out. So you dont think your wasting your breath, I am pretty much sold on your equipment.

White
    2001 Z28

It's very difficult to do anything my internet, PM or e-mail.

If I thought I was wasting my breath, I'd have stopped. But you need to understand that your thinking that rate and rate alone is what's killing your ride is just not correct. If the springs are too soft and too short, you effectively have no working travel left (or very little) as you drive around. See what I mean?

And 520 isn't going to happy from anyone.. Nobody make springs in that rate, and nobody makes coil-over springs in that rate.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

I see your point; I appreciate you taking the time to explain. I did some research on my own regarding your equipment and even checked the forum for your other posts explaining just about the same thing. So you don’t have to repeat yourself. I'm going to check out here locally and find a decent alignment shop to can handle the install. I need them to make some adjustment on the upper and lower a-arms. Something weird happened after I install the UMI k-member, once the car was lowered the wheels actually tucked further in, rather then pushing out like it normally would when you lower a car. Thanks again I'll be sure to get my new set from you.
    Last edited by Soltakr; 06-18-2008 at 01:37 PM.

White
    2001 Z28

When you say the wheels "tucked in". You have to be more specific. Are the tops in further, or the bottom? One is negative camber the other is postitive camber. Generally when you lower you get an increase in negative camber (tops in, bottoms out). But due to a think called camber curve, there is a point at which lowering a long way can start to decrease your negative camber. G-bodies and S10's were like this, the lower you got the worse the geometry got. Yet another reason not to slam a car.

But other things to consider: If your a-arms adjustable the length of those will change the alignment and camber curve. And, often folks just lower the car and look without settling the suspension. I know if I take my car off jacks and just set it down it looks like I have no negative camber, when in fact I have -1.8 or so that you can clearly see after you move the car around and get it to settle in.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

Hmm. Well I had the car aligned with the sport kit and the tires are wearing evenly. Doesn't seem ( to me) to be have any negitive camber. The whole wheel is about 1/2 in (further under the fender) then stock. The a-arms can be adjusted from both ends, the mount to the k-member and the spindle but no shop here wants to mess with it, they only want to work on stock cars.

White
    2001 Z28

Seems to be and all isn't exactly anything we can hang our hats on, so to speak. When you lower the car, the look changes and it will always look to be more "tucked" than stock, especially as low as you're sitting.

What does the alignment sheet say?

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

I'll scan the alignment sheet tonight and post it. You can probably read it better then me.
    Last edited by Soltakr; 06-18-2008 at 03:44 PM.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    actually, QA1 does not make that kit. i called them yesterday about it. yes, it is their shock. spohn makes the rest of it. back in 2004, i talked with a sales rep for QA1. reason why they won't make a rear coil over shock for the f-bodies is because of the top mounting. you are pressing on a thin piece of sheet metal. spohn has made a steel reinforcing bracket that you have to weld into place, to strengthen that part of the car to be able to handle it.

Black
    2002 Camaro SS (crashed)

That's for clearing that up, I thought something was weird.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information