Black
    2002 WS6

clunks and rattles

I have tightened everything a dozen times. Why in the hell does my rear end make so many sounds. It didn't happen while stock. Now I have SFC, LCA's and tokico's with stock springs. I'm damn tired of hearing it. Everyone raves about the strano package. Does it do the same thing? What do I need to buy?

Black
    2000 TA

I've been fighting those noises for years. I've replaced all bushings and lubed everything up. Bilstein shocks stock springs and it is still noise as hell. I live down a rough road, and the noise is almost unbearable. I'm going to layer the car with sound deadener this spring/summer. I don't know what else to do.

I understand the car is not going to be silent. But sounding like the inside of an aluminum can is getting old.

Quote Originally Posted by RealLiveMD View Post
    I have tightened everything a dozen times. Why in the hell does my rear end make so many sounds. It didn't happen while stock. Now I have SFC, LCA's and tokico's with stock springs. I'm damn tired of hearing it. Everyone raves about the strano package. Does it do the same thing? What do I need to buy?
    What kind of LCA's do you have? Poly or rod bushings? Stock LCA's had rubber bushings which were the best at dampening sound. Poly bushings dampen sound better than rod ends.

SFC's some people say helps fix rattles, others say they hear more. They probably fix whatever rattles may have occurred due to whatever amount of flex was allowable prior to having them, but you also have a metal bar transmitting the sound/vibration from the chassis lca mounting point to the front sfc point.

I'm not sure if tokicos would enhance that or not. I know they aren't the #1 shock out there or anything.

Black
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by z28bryan View Post
    What kind of LCA's do you have? Poly or rod bushings? Stock LCA's had rubber bushings which were the best at dampening sound. Poly bushings dampen sound better than rod ends.

SFC's some people say helps fix rattles, others say they hear more. They probably fix whatever rattles may have occurred due to whatever amount of flex was allowable prior to having them, but you also have a metal bar transmitting the sound/vibration from the chassis lca mounting point to the front sfc point.

I'm not sure if tokicos would enhance that or not. I know they aren't the #1 shock out there or anything.
    I get it. I have rod ends and that's probably the problem I had horrible wheel hop and started buying everything suggested. Started with the lca's reduced the hop a lot. Then 2 days later the tokico's planted the tire to the ground. It was probably just my shocks anyway. I might put the old lca's back on.

Quote Originally Posted by RealLiveMD View Post
    I get it. I have rod ends and that's probably the problem I had horrible wheel hop and started buying everything suggested. Started with the lca's reduced the hop a lot. Then 2 days later the tokico's planted the tire to the ground. It was probably just my shocks anyway. I might put the old lca's back on.
    Not sure what brand LCA's you ended up getting, but recently I started seeing a replacement adjustable poly end that will screw into the double adjustable LCA's. With the rod end at one side, that will still allow enough free suspension/axle movement and might damp the sound a little better. Not saying that's going to instantly fix the problem. For sure stock LCA's will be the quietest of the bunch.

FWIW, I know there's a ton of road race and autox guys who use the stock LCA's with solid moog bushings in replacement of the stock star shaped bushings. You could try that as an option, but I wouldn't toss out your rod/rod LCA's just yet.

Thread Information