Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

clunking sound driver side rear, any advice?

Hi guys, I have a clunking noise in the driver side rear. Any time I go over any sorts of bumps, it clunks loudly, like what it would sound like if there was a big wrench in the wheel well where the spare tire goes. It almost sounds like bad ball joints sound like. I believe it is something directly connected to the wheel/axle. I can replicate the noise somewhat by putting a breaker bar on one of the lugs and make a tightening motion, when the wheel moves, it makes the clunk, and it's definitely coming from that specific area. When I try the breaker bar on the passenger side, it is silent. I have already checked all of the rear suspension components, everything is tight. Please give me some info on how to fix/diagnose this. From the searches I've been doing, I think it's possible that it's a bad wheel bearing, can anyone confirm that this would happen in that case? If I do replace the bearing, should I get one of the "axle repair package" ones, it says that it will allow the bearing and seal to ride on a different part of the axle in case there is wear. The axle repair one is $25 as opposed to $11 for the regular replacement bearing. I think it may be a good idea, even if the axle shaft isn't visibly worn or pitted where the original bearing made contact. I'd rather fix it the first time than pull it apart again. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by JAGUAR5822; 11-09-2008 at 12:28 PM.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I have it... but i also have a ton of miles.. My torque arm bushing is fried(waiting to install new one) Sounds like a bouncy ball in the gas tank.

Low control arm bushings
    Torque Arm Bushing

My best guess

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    I have it... but i also have a ton of miles.. My torque arm bushing is fried(waiting to install new one) Sounds like a bouncy ball in the gas tank.

Low control arm bushings
    Torque Arm Bushing

My best guess
    I have poly LCA's, and I know what those sound like when they decide to start squeeking lol. I don't think it's the TA , I forgot to mention it ONLY makes sounds when the driver side back tire hits the bumpy areas, and I can hear it coming only from the back driver side. While driving, it does feel like it's somehow directly connected to the wheel. Like I said earlier, it reminds me a lot of bad ball joints. I think I'm going to replace the bearing tomorrow and see if the axle is pitted at all, who knows.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Yeah. Same noise during the same times here.. if you find the cause tell me

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

Yeah. Same noise during the same times here.. if you find the cause tell me
    lol I'll let ya know, I will track track it down somehow.

pewter
    02 CAMARO SS

yeah i have the same prob on the passenger side. hella irritating, got fixed once chevy dealership said it was e-brake. I didnt think that was the problem i think they just didnt want to deal with it. does it even when i kinda accelerate fast.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

That's interesting, I hadn't considered the e-brake. Maybe I'll unhook it and it it that changes anything.

$ 25,000 panty dropper VENOMOUS's Avatar

2005 Ram SRT-10 QC 8.3l
    1999 FRC Black

I have had this problem before numerous times, hopefully it's your problem.
    1.) Make sure that the sway bar is tight and secure at all points, I found where the link is that the bushings wear and leave open space to rattleover a bump. Check this first.
    2.) The other problem I've found is the torque arm mount at the rear seems to loosen bolts aftera few track outings or a few months on rough pavement. WHere it attaches to rear end.
    3.) This has happened many times as well, after track passes. Check the panhard bar that goes form the rear end to the body, I've had to tighten mine a few times from being loosened.

Hope this helps, Good Luck~!~

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

I've checked every bolt back there, so I'm fairly confident it's not 2 or 3. I didn't really think about it, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to change to poly for the swaybar end links and bushings. I did change the wheel bearing and installed my rear konis that were sitting in the closet, I was hoping that the stock shock had gone bad from lowering but it didn't. I'm also going to install a stock phb and then lca's to see if that gets rid of the noise. The phb has rod ends, the lca's are poly, I'm pretty confident it's not the lca's, I've heard them being noisy before and it's nowhere near the same.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

I took all my shit apart the last two nights. Replaced the torque arm bushing. Had a good two inches of play in it.. While moving the torque arm i could tell that is none of the suspension. Its the rubber exhaust hangers being worn out and the arm smacking the bottom of the car, my muffler is also rubbing the panhard bar.

Hope this solves yours.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

Interesting, I haven't checked the torque arm bushing yet, but I will now. My exhaust is good though. Thanks for the idea.

black
    99 Z28

im also having the same problem on the passenger side. if i fix it i will let u know what i did

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

Sweet I'll let you guys know when I track down the issue.

black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JAGUAR5822 View Post
    Sweet I'll let you guys know when I track down the issue.
    i think mine may have to do something with the bushings, it may be the same story for you. whenever u jack the car up, there is no load on the suspension stuff so you really cant tell if something is jacked up or not. at least thats what i think

Black
    00 NHRA Formula

Did you ever clear up the clunking from the driver side rear?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

No, I screwed up the seal when I installed it so the fluid started leaking out when I drove it, and I just now started working on it today =) I'm planning on finishing replacing the seal and bearing tomorrow, and then I'll be back to trying to find the rattle.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Mine went away. UMI LCAs, A torque arm bushing and i replaced my exhaust rubber hangers

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Mine went away. UMI LCAs, A torque arm bushing and i replaced my exhaust rubber hangers
    I have the same sound. Going to put my UMI LCA's on next weekend and I'll also check the exhaust hangers. Its these little things that piss me off so much.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Lightbulb

Check for shiny rub marks on the over axle exhaust pipe, and also where it goes over the pan-hard bar upper support.

Even if you have clearance it doesn't mean the exhaust isn't hitting anywhere.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

Got the car back together tonight, sound still there of course lol. I'll be taking a very close look at the exhaust, just to make sure I didn't miss anything the first time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information