2002 trans am ws6

car shakes at around 70mph and up.

Well here is the thing not to long ago I put a performance transmission mount and than the shaken began. I thought on putting the stock one back. But I figure there must be something else causing it and now that I have the solid transmission mount I am feeling it.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I'm thinking the solid mount just doesn't have any "cushioning" so it's causing it to transfer the vibrations easier, just a guess. Try putting the stock one back on a check to see if it still does it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Agree, that would be the easiest test.

Just one question, why a solid mount instead of a poly?

2002 trans am ws6

Thanks for the replies.I will be putting the stock transmission mount to see if it fixes the issue. I'm sorry for some reason I thought It was a solid transmission its actually a poly trany mount. The reason I went with a different trany mount was because the torque arm would hit the y-pipe every time I took off a little hard

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

That is sorta normal ORY issue with torque arms depending on the brand of each.

It might not be your tranny mount. While underneath check your motor mounts. If they are going they will flex the exhaust and can cause those issues.

A couple of other things

- ORY issues are very common, I had to tinker with mine about 3-4 times till I got happy with it. I'm lowered so clearance is always an issue for me. I tried band & u clamps and nothing seem to work well. So I just ended up welding the ORY together. No issues since.

- TA hitting while under hard launch - Have you check your rear shocks, bump stops, and springs? Any of those not working will let your rear sink on hard launches. The way the torque arm is design the car squats down unlike the classic muscle cars with ladderbar or 4 link setups. Those cars rise up while pushing the axle down.

2002 trans am ws6

I will check the motor mount tomorrow and the suspension. I thought about welding my y-pipe but sense my whole catback exhaust is welded it would be a pita to remove the transmission.

NBM
    1998 Z28

rotate your tires and see if anything changes.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

You know you can get a relocation mount to get the tube off the trans and connect to the frame. Every time I would take off with a little juice the tube would bang like hell. Also make sure the relocation bracket doesn't rub up against the "Y" pipe. That will also put a nice vibration into the car. Mine felt like a shimmy.
    I can guarantee you much smoother acceleration if you get the tube off the trans.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by dav-02ws6-m6 View Post
    Well here is the thing not to long ago I put a performance transmission mount and than the shaken began. I thought on putting the stock one back. But I figure there must be something else causing it and now that I have the solid transmission mount I am feeling it.

Thanks for the help in advance.
    A friend of mine with a 97 SS had a shaking problem and it was his u joints? Ive heard of a case of someone replacing their TM and it changed the angle of the drive line causing binding @ the u joints?????
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 08-02-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 WS6 Formula

A rim out of round will cause "shaking" at high speeds. Especially an aluminum rim cause they are easy to bend on potholes and the like.

2002 trans am ws6

Thanks for the replies.

Yesterday I got around putting back the stock transmission mount and adjusting my exhaust everything seems to be working ok. A big difference for sure, I can still feel the vibration but not as bad. The wheels should be ok sense they are brand new.

Another question though, is there suppose to be any play on the rear end. The same day I was working on the exhaust I thought I would check the rear end, the rear tires were on ramps and the transmission was on neutral I started moving the shaft and seems to have some play on the differencial.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Seems you got the mount figured out. Poly mounts will transfer more vibration into the car. Nature of the beast. As far as play in the rear it depends on what you're asking really. Are you saying that in park/gear you can move the tires when the car is in the air? If so that's normal. There will be some play there.

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

My shaft also moves 20* or so before the rear tires start to turn... like slop in the pinion or something.... I was also about to start investigating this.

2002 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by goof4080 View Post
    My shaft also moves 20* or so before the rear tires start to turn... like slop in the pinion or something.... I was also about to start investigating this.
    Yup that's what a mean.

Thread Information