Car is leaning, please help

This is a discussion on Car is leaning, please help within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; I was in a car accident and after two months I finally got it back. I noticed that the car ...

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Car is leaning, please help

I was in a car accident and after two months I finally got it back. I noticed that the car was leaning on the drivers side so I had the rear axels replaced along with all new rims and rear springs. The car still has a little lean to it but the shop said they cant find anything else bent to make it lean. I dont want to drive an unsafe car so any info would help. Plus I dont want to get screwed by my insurance or the body shop
    2002 Camaro SS/M6. Volant CAI, 80mm TB w/spacer, cat delete w/ ory, borla XR-1 w/ cme, custom tune, 3.73's, 8,000k HID headlights and foglights, 19" staggered ruff 278 wheels.

silver
    2000 formula

springs sag......and get set from accidents

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    springs sag......and get set from accidents
    I just had the springs replaced but the its still leaning.

silver
    2000 formula

new stock springs or aftermarket like eibachs?

black
    1999 camaro SS

doesn't matter what brand they are. if they're new springs they aren't sagging.... yet. your rear subframe could be tweaked. maybe some SFC's could help

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    doesn't matter what brand they are. if they're new springs they aren't sagging.... yet. your rear subframe could be tweaked. maybe some SFC's could help
    There brand new stock springs. I just wanted some ideas because the body shop is jerking me around saying that they cant see anything thats bent or out of place. A car doesn't just lean on it's own and it was nice and straight before the accident. I'm going back to my insurance company and hopefully they can get it straightened out. (no pun intended)

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Are the spring isolators properly positioned? Also, have you used a measuring tape from the ground to the wheel well lip to verify and determine the amount of lean?

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Are the spring isolators properly positioned? Also, have you used a measuring tape from the ground to the wheel well lip to verify and determine the amount of lean?
    Spring isolators I will check and I will also take a measurement and get back to you. I'm just worried because the car is leaning on the side of where the impact of the accident took place. (see my poor camaro thread)

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Could be a bent shock that is not allowing the vehicle to rise on that side... just a thought. Easy to pull the bottom of each shock off and check the feel and length of travel.

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Could be a bent shock that is not allowing the vehicle to rise on that side... just a thought. Easy to pull the bottom of each shock off and check the feel and length of travel.
    Damn jeff, your quick. lol. That's a good idea, I'm taking all the info I can that way when I go to the insurance company I can tell them what's up. I shouldn't have to deal with this crap though as a body shop should handle this before a customer picks up the car, imo. This just seems very un-profesional that I have to be involved in it this much. I just want my car the way it was before the accident. Hell after a check for 7,000 you think the car would be pefect

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

U can also swap both rear springs and see if the lean follows the spring. Could be a bent shock, could be a bad new spring. Could be some other bent component

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

I had this exact problem in my car after I installed after market springs, shocks, and lca's. There was about .5in of lean on the right. I pointed it out to my dad and he took it to his shop and brought it back later in the day fixed. He never told me what the problem was other than "the suspension needing adjusting"....? I'll question him and get back to u.

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    I had this exact problem in my car after I installed after market springs, shocks, and lca's. There was about .5in of lean on the right. I pointed it out to my dad and he took it to his shop and brought it back later in the day fixed. He never told me what the problem was other than "the suspension needing adjusting"....? I'll question him and get back to u.
    Thanks farmer. Remember the leaning took place before the spring install and after the accident. They replaced the axel on the driver side rear, that's. Where it's leaning. I'm dropping it off Thursday so I will keep you posted on what happens. Thanks to all for responding

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

First thing that came to my mind after reading all of the responses was there was a lot more air pressure on one side than the other

Keep us posted.

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    First thing that came to my mind after reading all of the responses was there was a lot more air pressure on one side than the other

Keep us posted.
    wish that was the case, it would make this a whole lot easier to fix. Maybe it has something to with a 20" rim on one side and a 17" on the other? Lol

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by dennis ss View Post
    wish that was the case, it would make this a whole lot easier to fix. Maybe it has something to with a 20" rim on one side and a 17" on the other? Lol
    Was actually going to mention that being you got new rims..haha.

Good luck

Thread Information