Can't Fix Toe Angles?

This is a discussion on Can't Fix Toe Angles? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; I just got my staggered set of C5 Z06 wheels with Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval (275/40/17 & 295/35/18 respectively) mounted ...

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Can't Fix Toe Angles?

I just got my staggered set of C5 Z06 wheels with Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval (275/40/17 & 295/35/18 respectively) mounted and I got a fresh alignment to start the summer with.

My front wheels are lined up very well and I'm not worried about them. My rear wheels are a different story.

My rear wheels have the following stats:

Left Rear
    -0.1* Camber
    -0.17* Toe

Right Rear
    -0.1* Camber
    0.23* Toe

0.07* Total Toe
    -0.20* Thrust Angle

The tech said that "the manufacturer does not specify rear camber and toe adjustments." So the thrust angle is left at -0.20*

My concern is that I just paid a lot of money for these tires and I know that toe wears tires fast and I don't want that. Is this guy full of shit or is there no adjustment for the thrust angle?

Last edited by hoss 2000 z-28; 03-29-2008 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Left Rear Camber Typo

You have an fbody not a corvette, right?

From the factory, we have a solid rear axle with no adjustments.
    Camber/caster/and toe on the front are all completely adjustable.

You can get an aftermarket panhard bar that allows the rear end to be adjusted. This is common with lowered cars. I believe it should benefit non-lowered cars as well.

Looking into this more, it's also suggested to get adjustable lower control arms for the rear as well, to get it perfect.

The PHB will let you shift the rear to the left and to the right, which would fix your thrust angle.. and the LCA's will let you adjust the wheels forwards or back in relation to the distance away from the front wheels.. so with both, you could get the rear centered in every possible way.

Some people suggest PHB, some suggest LCA to fix the problem.. I guess it depends how your rear end is shifted. I would just get them both. Someone correct me if I'm wrong..

Also, what's up with the camber on the left rear? 1 degree is kind of a lot.
    Last edited by MasterEvilAce; 03-29-2008 at 04:04 PM.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

The camber angle was a typo, fixed it now.

Alright, I guess it's time to price the LCA's and PHB.

dark bowling green
    2000 corvette

panhard rod will not fix thrust angle. it fixes the left/right side to side offset of the axle. thrust angle is the angle of the rear, when compared to the centerline of the vehicle, if it is pointed to the left or right of straight ahead. the thrust angle isn't severe enough to be of any concern. but, if you really want to fix it, then you'll need to get adjustable trailing arms.

Monterey Maroon Metalic
    2000 Z28

Thanks a lot guys, I found a used PHB and LCAs in the sale/trade forum. Thanks for the help.

Thread Information