Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Camaro: Strano vs UMI sway bar packages: Please chime in...

This is a discussion on Camaro: Strano vs UMI sway bar packages: Please chime in... within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Well its more than $70 difference honestly, because i'm waiting for the stuff to go on sale.. Anyway, I was ...

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Well its more than $70 difference honestly, because i'm waiting for the stuff to go on sale..

Anyway, I was considering buying the UMI bars and then taking that extra $120 i saved b/w strano and UMI and buying UMI Non-adjustable LCA's

any thoughts on this?

Mr. Strano, I've been meaning to give you a call. I will call you within the next week or so hopefully to talk to you about it more.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I've been talking to Sam for over 10 years and he has provided me with honest detailed information, and I actually used his knowledge and expertise on my current f-body.

My first f-body was my 93 Z28 6-speed, took others advise on how great their setup was, even bought the items suggested to me and was HORRIBLY disappointed. I ended up selling the LT1 and when I got my 01SS I decided I was only going to get the BEST suspension parts I could afford, and through Sam advice and expertise I got me a fucking BAD-ASS canyon carver that has walked by M3's M5's G35's G37's sti's and have gotten to a point where I can be right up with GT2's & GT3's, they leave me on the straights but I catch up to 'em in the lower speed twisties, and I'm VERY pleased with that.

I just need more horsepower now
    The Black 2001 SS #5697
    T-tops, 6-spd/B&M ripper, ARH LT's/GMMG/CME, Volant, Koni DA's & GC coilovers, Strano frt & rear sways, G2(SFC's w/v-braces, STB, adj PHR), Wilwood 6-piston red calipers frnt brakes w/13" 2-pc rotors, RKSport(clear front & rear corners, c-f grill), chrome Z06 wheels

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    Well its more than $70 difference honestly, because i'm waiting for the stuff to go on sale..

Anyway, I was considering buying the UMI bars and then taking that extra $120 i saved b/w strano and UMI and buying UMI Non-adjustable LCA's

any thoughts on this?

Mr. Strano, I've been meaning to give you a call. I will call you within the next week or so hopefully to talk to you about it more.
    you lost me at non adjustable

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    you lost me at non adjustable
    what i was saying was... UMI vs Strano sway bars = $120 if the UMI's go on sale...

SO, theoretically lets say i purchase the UMI sway bars (save $120 vs Strano) and then "take" that $120 "saved" and purchase another part such as UMI non-adjustable LCAs...

SO i would have UMI Sway Bars, UMI LCAs for the price of only purchasing Strano sway bars..

I dont see the need for adjustable LCAs but maybe i'm missing something..? Would LCA's be worth upgrading..?

I know everyone drives different and puts their car thru different obsticles. For my situation, I only want the car to perform well generally, not competitively. 95% of its life is on the street, and that 5% will be autox possibly or some open track days...

So, i probly will not be pushing the car as hard as someone who tracks alot
    Last edited by mammoth713; 11-19-2010 at 10:30 AM.

White
    2001 Z28

any thoughts on this?

I guess you want to wait some sort of sale, and carry the weight, ok. I mean the UMI bars are cheaper than mine--and that's why I carry them.

I don't know why you feel you need non-adjustable LCA's and from a handling standpoint that's not the LCA setup you want anyway.

White
    2001 Z28

what i was saying was... UMI vs Strano sway bars = $120 if the UMI's go on sale...

SO, theoretically lets say i purchase the UMI sway bars (save $120 vs Strano) and then "take" that $120 "saved" and purchase another part such as UMI non-adjustable LCAs...

SO i would have UMI Sway Bars, UMI LCAs for the price of only purchasing Strano sway bars..
    That's true. Can't deny it. You also gain a lot of weight, a good bit of which is unsprung weight because the rear bar is bolted the axle. And there are hardware differences too.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    That's true. Can't deny it. You also gain a lot of weight, a good bit of which is unsprung weight because the rear bar is bolted the axle. And there are hardware differences too.
    I'll make this easy and give you a call Mr. Strano early next week, thanks for you help.

All UMI items will be on sale beginning on Thanksgiving Day so watch out for it. All UMI items can be purchased through Sam as well.

For control arms, you only need adjustable if you are installing an aftermarket rear end that won't sit center or need more clearance for a taller tire. If you are not doing either of these then I don't see the need for adjustable. Since you may be doing some auto cross you may want to consider one of our Roto-Joint set ups. We have a control arm set up with poly on one side and Roto on the other, it is has become very popular for us. Part # is 2033 and it can be seen here- www.umiperformance.com/2033

If you have any questions please ask. Thank you!
    Ryan

Red
    98 Trans Am

well ill be definatly looking for em lol i just got done doing lowering springs and broke one of my swaybar linkages lol now i have an excuse to buy a new front swaybar

Red
    98 Trans Am

Well how about comparing apples to apples then.. such as
    BMR Hollow Bars then? 35mm fronts and 22mm rears? WHats the weight difference between Strano and BMRs?

White
    2001 Z28

Well, yet again BMR did an about face... for years they did 32/21 solids. I started doing 35/22 hollows and a few years later they come up with a 35mm front bar, but their rear is not 22mm, it's 25mm. And it's too big.

I could have easily done a 25mm bar if I thought it was best. But it's not. In fact there are 35/25 combos out there (ST in solid form) and Hothckis is very similar with their hollow bars to a 35/25 solid @ 36.5/25 hollow, and I sell both.

I'll be blunt. This is a matter of following the leader. I was the first to do the bars in that size, and hollow at both ends. I am still the only one doing the bars in those sizes with hollow at both ends. Yes there are other hollow bars front and rear, and other bars the same size--but not the combination of both. And here's the bottom line:

I designed and spec'ed out the bars to be what I wanted them to be--the best balanced, lightweight, high quality bars. And in the end, only my bars have proven themselves time and time again in handling situations.

I can't control the decisions of others, or even make sense out of some of the things they do. All I can do it tell you I tested combination after combination and for a handling car--this is what I feel works best.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Red
    98 Trans Am

Not to correct you on the sizes but i did find a BMR 22mm hollow rear just a few seconds ago. Im not putting anything or anyones products down, just trying to learn more about the differences. I didnt know BMR made 25mm rears. I dont know about a kit but they do sell both separte 35/22. you can find all kinds of stuff on ebay . I like the fact that both are hollow, now im just trying to brake it down to whats really the difference. Build? Material? Design? and of course the big ones price and look lol

Dont get me wrong i love UMI stuff but as i start compiling chassis and suspention on my car... im noticing that im putting alot of metal on and not taking much off. STBs, SFCs, LCA relo brackets, C5 rotors, tunnel braces, torque arm relo mounts with drivshaft loops... Thats alot of metal that wasnt there before. Thats power im losing before i even started. Id love to go with UMI Sways but if i can lose some weight in the process, im game. My big weight savings i figure will be when i go to front suspention add ons (a arms and RR K member) But for now, sways are my next upgrade and its come down to price and looks. Now if UMI ever gets on board with hollows that would be sweet.
    and one more thing Strano.............. you rock lol thanks for the quick shipping of my Hawks HPS pads to Germany
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 12-08-2010 at 03:26 PM.

White
    2001 Z28

Well, ok. I don't see it on their website, but whatever. How do you know Ebay is right? I mean you can get a lot of bad info on ebay too. I had a customer show me a link today for some Corvette wheels--that were the wrong bolt pattern to fit a Corvette.

Then it's even more apparent for the second time they decided to change what they did to mimic what I do.

Want to know what I see? I see a set of bars different from what they ever did before, and suddenly changed about a year ago. I see bars that are using bushings and hardware that is less beefy than what I use. I see a set of bars that doesn't use the high quality teflon grease that we supply (as part of the price). I see bars that cost more before you add the grease. And I see a front bar that does not have the clearance for convertible k-members that mine has (there is a tab on those that bars bent like theirs can contact when the suspension is compressed).

I see no specifications either. And I'll be honest with you, it's a little bothersome that you're questioning me on this. I think that my product is well proven, certainly not "new" and I have not done an about face and changed things like size and construction of them. I think you should be asking them why they think the sizes are right, and why they abandoned the 32/21's that they claimed were the best.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    Well, ok. I don't see it on their website, but whatever. How do you know Ebay is right? I mean you can get a lot of bad info on ebay too. I had a customer show me a link today for some Corvette wheels--that were the wrong bolt pattern to fit a Corvette.

Then it's even more apparent for the second time they decided to change what they did to mimic what I do.

Want to know what I see? I see a set of bars different from what they ever did before, and suddenly changed about a year ago. I see bars that are using bushings and hardware that is less beefy than what I use. I see a set of bars that doesn't use the high quality teflon grease that we supply (as part of the price). I see bars that cost more before you add the grease. And I see a front bar that does not have the clearance for convertible k-members that mine has (there is a tab on those that bars bent like theirs can contact when the suspension is compressed).

I see no specifications either. And I'll be honest with you, it's a little bothersome that you're questioning me on this. I think that my product is well proven, certainly not "new" and I have not done an about face and changed things like size and construction of them. I think you should be asking them why they think the sizes are right, and why they abandoned the 32/21's that they claimed were the best.
    Those are the answers i like to see. A person standing by their product and i complety respect that.
    As for the buisness aspect, not sure what BMR did but on Ebay its their Ebay site so i would take it its legit, bmr fab and all that. I dont mean to be bothersome, i mean to be a customer. Trust me i know how you feel. I use to work at a Shop and then moved to a Auto Craft Shop for Soldiers in Germany and let me tell you... when i guys askes "is this my oil drain plug" and hes pointing at a starter bolt... its VERY hard to keep a straight face and not slap him upside the head. Im learning. plain and simple. Im still a soldier and before i execute a mission i reseach and plan for that mission.
    and what makes you think i havnt asked BMR the difference
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 12-08-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Red
    98 Trans Am

well i got all my answers and have made my decision for sway bars. now to buy.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    well i got all my answers and have made my decision for sway bars. now to buy.
    and the winner is ?

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    and the winner is ?
    SSSHHHH its a secret lol

Its somthing Red though

Oh and BMR got back with me and it turns out they dont do 22mm rears anymore, only 25mms now. The ebay item is mislabaled so everyone keep that in mind. Guys really nice though that i talked to. So yes, you are correct on the 25mm rear then Sir Strano. my bad.
    As for material and build quality, same "my product is better" anwser as well, which is to be expected out out 2 top notched and excellent companys (nonbiased customer here ) Im gonna have to stick to my theme of red under my car and go with BMRs Hollow sways. Id love to go with UMIs but im trying to keep weight in mind now. Man UMI needs to get on board with hollow bars lol. that or strano bars red lol. either way its better than stock and thats the idea right? Later on if i REALLY wanna be a championship racer like Strano is, then ill start getting the more expensive stuff. I just wanna have fun. Thats the whole idea, right guys?
    NOW back to the UMI verses STRANO debate...... Stranos are better lol
    Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 12-15-2010 at 03:16 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You can always "paint" something red. Just saying

Red
    98 Trans Am

true, but its alittle more difficult here in germany. PLus with everything already powdercoated red, its easier just to buy it already powdercoated.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    true, but its alittle more difficult here in germany. PLus with everything already powdercoated red, its easier just to buy it already powdercoated.
    so you bought heavy sway bars but want to get that targa top thing to save weight ? you are crazy my man. willing to pay 500 bucks for a few pounds saved but dont want to spend 70 bones for just the same amount of weight saving plus much better hardware..especially for hpde like you want or the ring..that 70 bucks would have been well worth it

but anyways your build is coming along

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information